    Why does HP make you install 160MB worth of crap just to make their
    printer/scanner (psc1210) work. There is no option to install only the driver.
    Sheesh.
    Fuzzfactor, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Fuzzfactor

    Rick Guest

    "Fuzzfactor" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I saw others here recommending this software for batch processing so I
    > downloaded it and tried it out. Impressive! I resized a bunch of images for
    > email. It has so many options and retains them so you don't have to reset
    > everytime you use it. Best of all it is free.
    >
    > Amazingly it is only a 800K (and some) download. No bloat in it!
    >
    > Sorry for the commercial, but I have to give credit where credit is due. I plan
    > to send the develper $10.
    >
    > Why does HP make you install 160MB worth of crap just to make their
    > printer/scanner (psc1210) work. There is no option to install only the driver.
    > Sheesh.

    Did you notice the number of hits on Irfan's site? He could
    have easily become a millionaire several times over had he
    gone the way of American greed mongers and started
    charging for his program. Hell, most shareware I've seen
    is absolute crap and the authors still want $10-$50 for it.

    Rick
    Rick, Jan 23, 2004

  3. I agree 100% with you. It's amazingly feature-filled for such a simple
    program, and the drain on your system is embarassingly low. I mean my
    God--you can fit the executable on a floppy!

    I actually use it not just for picture viewing or interfacing with a scanner
    but also for capturing screen-shots with databases I'm documenting.
    Wonderful little tool.

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Fuzzfactor

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Fuzzfactor wrote:

    > I saw others here recommending this software for batch processing so I
    > downloaded it and tried it out. Impressive! I resized a bunch of images for
    > email. It has so many options and retains them so you don't have to reset
    > everytime you use it. Best of all it is free.
    >
    > Amazingly it is only a 800K (and some) download. No bloat in it!
    >
    > Sorry for the commercial, but I have to give credit where credit is due. I plan
    > to send the develper $10.
    >
    > Why does HP make you install 160MB worth of crap just to make their
    > printer/scanner (psc1210) work. There is no option to install only the driver.
    > Sheesh.

    The HP PSC1210 is quite a bit more impressive than you give it credit
    for. As you use it more, you will find this out. The printer is a
    Windows printer, which means it uses the 'smarts' of your computer to
    make much of what it does happen. That's the reason for all that
    software. My wife has the 1350 model which amazes me with its features
    for the price. Just this morning I scanned some forms that were copies
    made on a copier that fed them a bit off, resulting in slanted lines.
    When I faxed the scans, the forms had been straightened up for me. Now
    I call THAT CLASS. Well worth the disk space!
    Ron Hunter, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Fuzzfactor

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Rick wrote:

    > "Fuzzfactor" <> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>I saw others here recommending this software for batch processing so I
    >>downloaded it and tried it out. Impressive! I resized a bunch of images for
    >>email. It has so many options and retains them so you don't have to reset
    >>everytime you use it. Best of all it is free.
    >>
    >>Amazingly it is only a 800K (and some) download. No bloat in it!
    >>
    >>Sorry for the commercial, but I have to give credit where credit is due. I plan
    >>to send the develper $10.
    >>
    >>Why does HP make you install 160MB worth of crap just to make their
    >>printer/scanner (psc1210) work. There is no option to install only the driver.
    >>Sheesh.

    > Did you notice the number of hits on Irfan's site? He could
    > have easily become a millionaire several times over had he
    > gone the way of American greed mongers and started
    > charging for his program. Hell, most shareware I've seen
    > is absolute crap and the authors still want $10-$50 for it.
    >
    > Rick

    He initially started the program as a project for a programming class.
    There may be rules in his country about personal gain from such a
    program. In any case, it sure has made him popular, including many
    proposals of marriage! I'm just glad he continues to improve it,
    without any compensation, other than words of encouragement.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 24, 2004