Irfanview won't run .mov files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Perk, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Perk

    Perk Guest

    Hi all,

    For some reason I can't get any of the .mov files, (from my Olympus
    C-700 camera), to play at all.

    All I get is a box that says something like "Quick time error, can't
    open movie" followed by the file location and name.

    I just reloaded all the latest plugins and have the following
    "Video/Sound" settings checked :

    - Use internal video/sound player - normal size
    - Use Apple Quick Time for .mov (Apple Q/T is installed)

    I'm sure it's something I've got set wrong. Any ideas ?

    Thanks much,

    Perk

    --

    Perk Bingham

    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as
    simply messing about in a boat".
    (Wind in the Willows)
    Perk, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Perk

    Steve Guest

    Perk wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > For some reason I can't get any of the .mov files, (from my Olympus
    > C-700 camera), to play at all.
    >
    > All I get is a box that says something like "Quick time error, can't
    > open movie" followed by the file location and name.
    >
    > I just reloaded all the latest plugins and have the following
    > "Video/Sound" settings checked :
    >
    > - Use internal video/sound player - normal size
    > - Use Apple Quick Time for .mov (Apple Q/T is installed)
    >
    > I'm sure it's something I've got set wrong. Any ideas ?
    >
    > Thanks much,
    >
    > Perk

    Perk:

    To run Quicktime MOV files in IrfanView, you MUST also have Quicktime
    installed.

    Steve
    Steve, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Perk

    Onno Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in news:NDJkb.826711
    $Ho3.231946@sccrnsc03:

    > Perk wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> For some reason I can't get any of the .mov files, (from my Olympus
    >> C-700 camera), to play at all.
    >>
    >> All I get is a box that says something like "Quick time error, can't
    >> open movie" followed by the file location and name.
    >>
    >> I just reloaded all the latest plugins and have the following
    >> "Video/Sound" settings checked :
    >>
    >> - Use internal video/sound player - normal size
    >> - Use Apple Quick Time for .mov (Apple Q/T is installed)

    [snip]

    > To run Quicktime MOV files in IrfanView, you MUST also have Quicktime
    > installed.

    As a matter of fact, you can uninstall Quicktime. That will leave the
    codecs for Irfanview to play MOV files.
    (Unfortunately Irfanview does not work with Quicktime Alternative)

    Perk, does Quicktime play your MOV files?
    If you are using the latest plugins, is it perhaps your version of
    Irfanview that is outdated? Just guessing here.

    --
    Onno
    Onno, Oct 20, 2003
  4. Perk

    Perk Guest

    It shows Quicktime as being installed (although I can't locate it on the
    HD).

    My I'view is 3.85 and I just installed the latest plugin package.

    I think I'll find Quicktime and download & install it. Maybe that will
    work.

    Thanks all,

    Perk

    --

    Perk Bingham
    Washington State, USA

    Perk, Oct 20, 2003
  5. Perk

    Jay Guest

    Onno wrote:

    > "Steve" wrote:
    >
    >> Perk wrote:
    >>> For some reason I can't get any of the .mov files, (from my Olympus
    >>> C-700 camera), to play at all.

    > Perk, does Quicktime play your MOV files?
    > If you are using the latest plugins, is it perhaps your version of
    > Irfanview that is outdated? Just guessing here.

    I have the same problem as Perk (but a different camera, CanonS400).

    Quicktime does play my MOV files, but Irfanview does not.

    (I'd like to include MOV clips in an Irfanview slide show.)
    Jay, Oct 20, 2003
  6. Perk

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jay wrote:

    > Onno wrote:

    >>Perk, does Quicktime play your MOV files?
    >>If you are using the latest plugins, is it perhaps your version of
    >>Irfanview that is outdated? Just guessing here.

    > I have the same problem as Perk (but a different camera, CanonS400).
    >
    > Quicktime does play my MOV files, but Irfanview does not.
    >
    > (I'd like to include MOV clips in an Irfanview slide show.)

    I only get .mov files from my Kodak DX3600, and Irfanview (3.85) and QT
    6.4 combine to play them just fine.
    Ron Hunter, Oct 21, 2003