IrfanView versus XnView for PNG files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rili, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. Rili

    Rili Guest

    IrfanView versus XnView for PNG files

    IrfanView
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    doesn't appear to be able to show emmbed text information in PNG files;
    however, XnView
    http://www.xnview.com/
    does.

    The following webpage has a PNG picture of an owl on it with the following
    embedded text information (IE6 doesn't seem to be able to show this PNG
    image, where as Mozilla Firebird can, so if you are an IE user you might
    have to right click and save the png file first)

    http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/png-OwlAlpha.html

    Embedded text is:

    Title: Horned Owl
    Author: Pieter S. van der Meulen
    and FD35-70 on Ektachrome, 100 ASA, on July 1990 in Alaska.
    The photographer (me :) is reflected in the eyes (@left),
    and is being completely ignored by this magnificent bird.
    Digitization was done via PhotoCD. From 4Base resolution,
    the alpha channel was created by edge detection and floodfill.
    Low-pass filtering (norm. cut-off 0.2) was applied to create
    a soft alpha mask. The final result was shrunk by half.
    original PhotoCD image;
    http://www.cdrom.com/pub/png/ for the PNG home site.
    Copyright: Copyright 1999 Pieter S. van der Meulen. This image, including
    the alpha channel, may be used, edited and reproduced freely.
    Software: pnmtopng 2.37.2

    Does anyone know of any software that can display the above information
    (select properties from XnView for the above) or that can actually edit this
    information?

    I haven't been able to find any freeware that can edit PNG text or tag
    information. I don't know why this is as you would think it is easy to code
    and very useful.
    Rili, Oct 25, 2003

  2. "Rili" <> wrote:

    >IrfanView versus XnView for PNG files

    >IrfanView
    >http://www.irfanview.com/
    >doesn't appear to be able to show emmbed text information in PNG files;
    >however, XnView
    >http://www.xnview.com/
    >does.
    >
    >The following webpage has a PNG picture of an owl on it with the following
    >embedded text information (IE6 doesn't seem to be able to show this PNG
    >image, where as Mozilla Firebird can, so if you are an IE user you might
    >have to right click and save the png file first)
    >
    >http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/png-OwlAlpha.html

    Rili,

    why don't you write this to the author of IrfanView? He's quite
    approachable and may enhance his program to include PNG text
    tags like this.

    By the way, Internet Explorer 6 indeed doesn't display the
    picture, but left-clicking on it opens the full-scale picture,
    and that is displayed quite well in IE.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 25, 2003

  3. Paintshop Pro (v7) will allow the editing of the information.

    Yours,

    Sam

    Martin Spiers, Oct 25, 2003
  4. Rili

    Rili Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    I've finally found a freeware one that does it.

    TweakPNG from <http://entropymine.com/jason/tweakpng/>

    Now I just need to find a viewer that can show the appropriate fields while
    looking at the picture.

    Rili, Oct 25, 2003