    35mm equivalent is shown? I've searched the help and FAQs without success.
    TIA,
    Keith
    Keith Foster, Jan 2, 2006

  2. Keith Foster

    Matt Ion Guest

    Keith Foster wrote:
    > Is there a way of adding a "multiplier", to the focal length, so that the
    > 35mm equivalent is shown? I've searched the help and FAQs without success.

    If you're using Windows, just click Start -> Run, type in 'calc' and hit
    Enter.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0552-4, 12/30/2005
    Tested on: 1/2/2006 11:25:58 AM
    Matt Ion, Jan 2, 2006

  3. Keith Foster

    Keith Foster Guest

    "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message
    > Keith Foster wrote:
    >> Is there a way of adding a "multiplier", to the focal length, so that the
    >> 35mm equivalent is shown? I've searched the help and FAQs without
    >> success.

    > If you're using Windows, just click Start -> Run, type in 'calc' and hit
    > Enter.
    >

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0552-4, 12/30/2005
    > Tested on: 1/2/2006 11:25:58 AM

    Let me expand the question: Software, such as EXIF Viewer, identifies (from
    the EXIF data) the camera and applies an appropriate multiplier to the real
    focal length in order to display the 35mm equivalent. This is what I would
    like to achieve with IrfanView. The use of Windows calculator (easier with
    a slide rule) to perform and add this trivial math to, say, a comment field
    is inappropriate.
    Keith Foster, Jan 2, 2006
  4. Keith Foster

    Joan Guest

    I'm using V3.97 and get this, among other things:

    Model - NIKON D50
    FocalLength - 55.00 mm
    FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 82 mm

    So I'd suggest, if the camera writes the information into the EXIF then
    Irfanview will show it.

    --
    Joan
    http://joan.colley.name:85

    Joan, Jan 2, 2006
  5. Keith Foster

    Frank ess Guest

    Joan wrote:
    > I'm using V3.97 and get this, among other things:
    >
    > Model - NIKON D50
    > FocalLength - 55.00 mm
    > FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 82 mm
    >
    > So I'd suggest, if the camera writes the information into the EXIF
    > then Irfanview will show it.

    Doesn't show it on my Canon 20 or 350D/RebXT; PIE (Picture Information
    Extractor) 2.2 does.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jan 2, 2006
  6. "Frank ess" <> wrote in

    > Joan wrote:
    >> I'm using V3.97 and get this, among other things:
    >>
    >> Model - NIKON D50
    >> FocalLength - 55.00 mm
    >> FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 82 mm
    >>
    >> So I'd suggest, if the camera writes the information into the EXIF
    >> then Irfanview will show it.
    >>

    > Doesn't show it on my Canon 20 or 350D/RebXT; PIE (Picture Information
    > Extractor) 2.2 does.

    My Minolta Maxxum 7D reports both actual and 'adjusted' 35mm equivalent
    focal length in its EXIF. Irfanview can show this info in the full screen
    view mode - Properties / Full Screen / Show text (bottom of the tab) - I
    can use "$E37386" to display the actual focal length. or "$E41989" to show
    the 35mm equivalent. Click the 'Help' button to find the values
    available.

    Mr. Skiljan never ceases to amaze...

    Bob ^,,^
    Bob Harrington, Jan 2, 2006
  7. Keith Foster

    Keith Foster Guest

    "Bob Harrington" <> wrote in message
    > "Frank ess" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Joan wrote:
    >>> I'm using V3.97 and get this, among other things:
    >>>
    >>> Model - NIKON D50
    >>> FocalLength - 55.00 mm
    >>> FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 82 mm
    >>>
    >>> So I'd suggest, if the camera writes the information into the EXIF
    >>> then Irfanview will show it.
    >>>

    >> Doesn't show it on my Canon 20 or 350D/RebXT; PIE (Picture Information
    >> Extractor) 2.2 does.

    > My Minolta Maxxum 7D reports both actual and 'adjusted' 35mm equivalent
    > focal length in its EXIF. Irfanview can show this info in the full screen
    > view mode - Properties / Full Screen / Show text (bottom of the tab) - I
    > can use "$E37386" to display the actual focal length. or "$E41989" to show
    > the 35mm equivalent. Click the 'Help' button to find the values
    > available.
    >
    > Mr. Skiljan never ceases to amaze...
    >
    > Bob ^,,^

    Bob,
    Found these values but nothing under Canon (S1 IS) for 35mm equivalent.
    Tried putting "$E41989" into the Show text box but the 35mm equivalent
    doesn't show (in EXIF data) irrespective of the view being full screen or
    not. Should these values go into this box? And, if I want more than one,
    what is the seperator (if any)?

    Late info: just Googled for S1IS Exif and found a (more detailed) tech spec
    than on the Canon website/User guide. Ther is no value shown for focal
    length multiplier so this may be why IrfanView doesn't show the 35mm
    equivalent - Exifer to uses the right multiplier and JAlbum has a field for
    the multiplier to be added.
    Keith
    Keith Foster, Jan 3, 2006
  8. "Keith Foster" <> wrote in

    > "Bob Harrington" <> wrote in message
    >> "Frank ess" <> wrote in

    >>> Doesn't show it on my Canon 20 or 350D/RebXT; PIE (Picture
    >>> Information Extractor) 2.2 does.

    >> My Minolta Maxxum 7D reports both actual and 'adjusted' 35mm
    >> equivalent focal length in its EXIF. Irfanview can show this info in
    >> the full screen view mode - Properties / Full Screen / Show text
    >> (bottom of the tab) - I can use "$E37386" to display the actual focal
    >> length. or "$E41989" to show the 35mm equivalent. Click the 'Help'
    >> button to find the values available.
    >>
    >> Mr. Skiljan never ceases to amaze...
    >>
    >> Bob ^,,^

    > Bob,
    > Found these values but nothing under Canon (S1 IS) for 35mm
    > equivalent. Tried putting "$E41989" into the Show text box but the
    > 35mm equivalent doesn't show (in EXIF data) irrespective of the view
    > being full screen or not. Should these values go into this box? And,
    > if I want more than one, what is the seperator (if any)?

    I use

    $N
    $E33434 f/$E33437 ISO $E34855 $E41989

    To get filename, shutter speed, f/stop, ISO and 35mm equivalent focal
    length

    > Late info: just Googled for S1IS Exif and found a (more detailed) tech
    > spec than on the Canon website/User guide. Ther is no value shown for
    > focal length multiplier so this may be why IrfanView doesn't show the
    > 35mm equivalent - Exifer to uses the right multiplier and JAlbum has a
    > field for the multiplier to be added.
    > Keith

    Hrm... May be that Canon just doesn't include that value in their EXIF
    data. Possibly because they don't consider the S1 IS to be a DSLR...?

    Exifer and JAlbum appear to be clever enough to either figure it out for
    themselves or allow you to add a multiplier. I bet Irfan might consider
    such an option as a future addition to Irfanview if you asked him.

    Bob ^,,^
    Bob Harrington, Jan 3, 2006
  9. Keith Foster

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Keith Foster wrote:
    > "Matt Ion" <> wrote in message
    >> Keith Foster wrote:
    >>> Is there a way of adding a "multiplier", to the focal length, so that the
    >>> 35mm equivalent is shown? I've searched the help and FAQs without
    >>> success.

    >> If you're using Windows, just click Start -> Run, type in 'calc' and hit
    >> Enter.
    >>

    >> ---
    >> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    >> Virus Database (VPS): 0552-4, 12/30/2005
    >> Tested on: 1/2/2006 11:25:58 AM

    > Let me expand the question: Software, such as EXIF Viewer, identifies (from
    > the EXIF data) the camera and applies an appropriate multiplier to the real
    > focal length in order to display the 35mm equivalent. This is what I would
    > like to achieve with IrfanView. The use of Windows calculator (easier with
    > a slide rule) to perform and add this trivial math to, say, a comment field
    > is inappropriate.

    Drop Irfan an email with your suggestion. He is quite responsive to
    such reasonable requests.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 3, 2006
  10. Keith Foster

    > "Keith Foster" <> wrote in
    >

    >> "Bob Harrington" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Frank ess" <> wrote in

    >>> My Minolta Maxxum 7D reports both actual and 'adjusted' 35mm
    >>> equivalent focal length in its EXIF. Irfanview can show this info in
    >>> the full screen view mode - Properties / Full Screen / Show text
    >>> (bottom of the tab) - I can use "$E37386" to display the actual focal
    >>> length. or "$E41989" to show the 35mm equivalent. Click the 'Help'
    >>> button to find the values available.
    >>>
    >>> Mr. Skiljan never ceases to amaze...
    >>>
    >>> Bob ^,,^

    >> Bob,
    >> Found these values but nothing under Canon (S1 IS) for 35mm
    >> equivalent. Tried putting "$E41989" into the Show text box but the
    >> 35mm equivalent doesn't show (in EXIF data) irrespective of the view
    >> being full screen or not. Should these values go into this box? And,
    >> if I want more than one, what is the seperator (if any)?

    > I use
    >
    > $N
    > $E33434 f/$E33437 ISO $E34855 $E41989
    >
    > To get filename, shutter speed, f/stop, ISO and 35mm equivalent focal
    > length
    >
    >> Late info: just Googled for S1IS Exif and found a (more detailed) tech
    >> spec than on the Canon website/User guide. Ther is no value shown for
    >> focal length multiplier so this may be why IrfanView doesn't show the
    >> 35mm equivalent - Exifer to uses the right multiplier and JAlbum has a
    >> field for the multiplier to be added.
    >> Keith

    > Hrm... May be that Canon just doesn't include that value in their EXIF
    > data. Possibly because they don't consider the S1 IS to be a DSLR...?
    >
    > Exifer and JAlbum appear to be clever enough to either figure it out for
    > themselves or allow you to add a multiplier. I bet Irfan might consider
    > such an option as a future addition to Irfanview if you asked him.
    >
    > Bob ^,,^

    Woke up with inspiration: meant to say "EXIF Viewer" not Exifer. EXIF Viewer
    has tables of attributes for many cameras and uses the "right" multiplier
    (according to the EXIF data) but allows for manual selection of camera and
    changes to "real" and "35mm equivalent" and JAlbum just allows for the
    inclusion of a multiplier. This implies that Mr EXIR Viewer has considered
    the use of supplementary and interchangeable lenses - I've no knowledge of
    whether use of these can be detected by the camera and the S1 IS doesn't
    have obvious electronic comunication with supplementary lenses.
    I'll suggest inclusion of a multiplier to Irfan.

    Keith
    Keith Foster, Jan 3, 2006
  11. Keith Foster

    Keith Foster Guest

    "Frank ess" <> wrote in message
    > Joan wrote:
    >> I'm using V3.97 and get this, among other things:
    >>
    >> Model - NIKON D50
    >> FocalLength - 55.00 mm
    >> FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 82 mm
    >>
    >> So I'd suggest, if the camera writes the information into the EXIF
    >> then Irfanview will show it.
    >>

    > Doesn't show it on my Canon 20 or 350D/RebXT; PIE (Picture Information
    > Extractor) 2.2 does.
    >
    > --
    > Frank ess

    Anyone tried using Exiv2 to add the multiplier to the EXIF data? I don't
    know enough about modding the EXIF data (on the PC) to feel confident but if
    Joan's Nikon has "FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 82 mm" then maybe this field could
    be added to the EXIF data (using the correct multplier) for IrffanView to
    process.
    Keith
    Keith Foster, Jan 4, 2006