    main use would be to rename photos so that the name includes the EXIF
    Date and Time taken. For example, using ##-E306 to enter the EXIF
    'entity' DateTime. But IrfanView rejects this, giving errors like
    "Can't rename file!: D:\Docs\My
    Pictures\DigiCam\Walks\TP04\01-2004:08:17 10:32"

    Presumably this is because the date contains the invalid character
    ':'?

    If so, that's an unfortunate loss of an otherwise excellent feature
    ;-(

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Dec 18, 2004

  2. Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >I am just getting into using the potentially very useful rename
    >facility in IrfanView. But I quickly encountered a serious snag. My
    >main use would be to rename photos so that the name includes the EXIF
    >Date and Time taken. For example, using ##-E306 to enter the EXIF
    >'entity' DateTime. But IrfanView rejects this, giving errors like
    >"Can't rename file!: D:\Docs\My
    >Pictures\DigiCam\Walks\TP04\01-2004:08:17 10:32"
    >
    >Presumably this is because the date contains the invalid character
    >':'?
    >
    >If so, that's an unfortunate loss of an otherwise excellent feature
    >;-(

    Happy to report that minutes later I sorted it! If you use the
    'Replace text' entries, you can change the colon for something
    acceptable, such as '-'.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Guest

    Hi Terry

    I personally dun think that IfranView is the best tool for batch
    renaming of photos. Take a look at ACDSee instead.

    Best Regards
    Gary Hendricks
    www.basic-digital-photography,com

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > I am just getting into using the potentially very useful rename
    > facility in IrfanView. But I quickly encountered a serious snag. My
    > main use would be to rename photos so that the name includes the EXIF
    > Date and Time taken. For example, using ##-E306 to enter the EXIF
    > 'entity' DateTime. But IrfanView rejects this, giving errors like
    > "Can't rename file!: D:\Docs\My
    > Pictures\DigiCam\Walks\TP04\01-2004:08:17 10:32"
    >
    > Presumably this is because the date contains the invalid character
    > ':'?
    >
    > If so, that's an unfortunate loss of an otherwise excellent feature
    > ;-(
    >
    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    , Dec 18, 2004
  4. Terry Pinnell

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Also take a look at renamer (renamemaster.exe), it does a good job and is
    free.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 19, 2004
  5. "Dave Cohen" <> wrote:

    >Also take a look at renamer (renamemaster.exe), it does a good job and is
    >free.

    Thanks both, I'll try those too. My *ideal* renamer would let me
    select a set of files in Explore or My Computer, bring up a dialog
    from the right-click menu, and then specify my changes. These could
    include adding or removing common text like DSC000, adding common
    prefixes, suffixes, and inserting key EXIF fields like Date and Time
    Taken etc.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Dec 19, 2004
  6. Terry Pinnell

    Ralph Guest

    I use the Fuji Finepix viewer to rename files.

    --
    remove n u m b e r s to reply
    <>...

    Ralph, Dec 19, 2004
  7. Terry Pinnell

    Bigguy Guest

    I like free CKRename http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/CKRename/index.htm
    for batch renaming...
    Guy

    Bigguy, Dec 21, 2004
  8. Terry Pinnell, Dec 21, 2004
  9. Terry Pinnell

    Ken Oaf Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:38:16 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    > >I like free CKRename http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/CKRename/index.htm
    > >for batch renaming...
    > >Guy

    > Are you sure about that link please? I get the familiar "The page
    > cannot be displayed".

    The link works for me.

    Ken Oaf, Dec 21, 2004
  10. Ken Oaf <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:38:16 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> >I like free CKRename http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/CKRename/index.htm
    >> >for batch renaming...
    >> >Guy

    >> Are you sure about that link please? I get the familiar "The page
    >> cannot be displayed".

    >The link works for me.

    Thanks - me too just now. Must have been temporary problem.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Dec 21, 2004