    IrfanView does play other mpeg movie clips OK. I have downloaded ALL
    of the plugins from the IrfanView site. What's my problem? TIA.

    Chris.

    Chris McBrien, Sep 15, 2003

  2. Chris McBrien

    CSM1 Guest

    "Chris McBrien" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've been using IrfanView for a couple of years now, mainly with still
    > images. The problem is that when I view a movie clip from my Fuji
    > s602, IrfanView gives me the message... "Can't find vids:mjpg
    > decompressor". The Micro$oft player runs these clips OK. However
    > IrfanView does play other mpeg movie clips OK. I have downloaded ALL
    > of the plugins from the IrfanView site. What's my problem? TIA.
    >
    > Chris.

    In Irfanview Options>Properties Extentions Tab, Checkmark MPG/MPE/MPEG. Make
    sure you have all the plugins.

    Do you have Quicktime installed?
    Do you have the latest M$ Media Player (Ver 9)?

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Sep 15, 2003

  3. Chris McBrien

    Onno Guest

    "CSM1" <> wrote in news:TMp9b.1666$iZ2.276407404
    @newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

    > "Chris McBrien" <> wrote in message

    [snip]
    >> IrfanView gives me the message... "Can't find vids:mjpg
    >> decompressor". The Micro$oft player runs these clips OK.

    [snip]

    > In Irfanview Options>Properties Extentions Tab, Checkmark MPG/MPE/MPEG

    Associate MPEG movies with Irfanview in order to have it play AVI?????

    I have contacted Irfanview about this a while ago. His answer was:
    install the codec.
    But I already have the codec installed, and WMP and MPC play mjpeg AVI
    files without any problem.

    --
    Onno

    Onno, Sep 16, 2003
  4. Chris McBrien

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

    > Onno,
    >
    > which version of IrfanView do you use? Note that the latest and
    > recent one is 1.85.
    >
    > Hans-Georg

    WoW. And here I am with 3.85! Grin.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 16, 2003
  5. Ron Hunter <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
    >
    > > Onno,
    > >
    > > which version of IrfanView do you use? Note that the latest and
    > > recent one is 1.85.
    > >
    > > Hans-Georg
    > >

    > WoW. And here I am with 3.85! Grin.

    I've downloaded the latest version 3.8.5 plus ALL of the
    plugins. I've gone into the properties of IrfanView and selected ALL
    file extensions. I do not have QuickTime loaded as someone asked.

    The actual IrfanView message is...
    "Video not available, cannot find vids:mjpg decompressor".

    The problem still exists.

    Chris.

    Chris McBrien, Sep 16, 2003
  6. Did you install the Fuji software that came with the camera?

    Steve Michelson, Sep 17, 2003
  7. Onno <> wrote:

    >Hans-Georg Michna <> wrote in

    >> which version of IrfanView do you use?

    >3.85

    Onno,

    hmm, so that's not it.

    I have no clue then.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Sep 17, 2003
  8. "Steve Michelson" <> wrote in message news:<UCN9b.25916$>...
    > Did you install the Fuji software that came with the camera?
    >
    > "Chris McBrien" <> wrote in message
    > > I've been using IrfanView for a couple of years now, mainly with still
    > > images. The problem is that when I view a movie clip from my Fuji
    > > s602, IrfanView gives me the message... "Can't find vids:mjpg
    > > decompressor". The Micro$oft player runs these clips OK. However
    > > IrfanView does play other mpeg movie clips OK. I have downloaded ALL
    > > of the plugins from the IrfanView site. What's my problem? TIA.
    > >
    > > Chris.

    Steve,
    I have installed the Fuji software that came with the camera.
    The clips play OK in Windoze Media Player.

    Chris.

    Chris McBrien, Sep 17, 2003
  9. Chris McBrien

    eint Guest

    On 15 Sep 2003 12:51:54 -0700, (Chris McBrien)
    wrote:

    >IrfanView gives me the message... "Can't find vids:mjpg
    >decompressor". The Micro$oft player runs these clips OK. However
    >IrfanView does play other mpeg movie clips OK. I have downloaded ALL
    >of the plugins from the IrfanView site. What's my problem?

    Isn't MJPG Motion JPEG (not MPEG)?

    I don't know if Irfanview has a MJPG plugin. You can try e-mailing
    the Irfanview author to see if he can encorporate more codecs in the
    future.

    What's wrong with using Media player? If you are anti-microsoft you
    can use Media Player Classic (at doom9.org) or BSPlayer. These are
    free open source players that work fast and better.

    eint, Sep 17, 2003
  10. eint <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 15 Sep 2003 12:51:54 -0700, (Chris McBrien)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >IrfanView gives me the message... "Can't find vids:mjpg
    > >decompressor". The Micro$oft player runs these clips OK. However
    > >IrfanView does play other mpeg movie clips OK. I have downloaded ALL
    > >of the plugins from the IrfanView site. What's my problem?

    > Isn't MJPG Motion JPEG (not MPEG)?
    >
    > I don't know if Irfanview has a MJPG plugin. You can try e-mailing
    > the Irfanview author to see if he can encorporate more codecs in the
    > future.
    >
    > What's wrong with using Media player? If you are anti-microsoft you
    > can use Media Player Classic (at doom9.org) or BSPlayer. These are
    > free open source players that work fast and better.

    I just find MicroSoft Media Player rather 'jumpy' when playing
    clips. My computer has 384MB RAM, that should be enough.

    I'll get onto IrfanView about the Plugins and re-check my Fuji
    software again.

    Chris.

    Chris McBrien, Sep 18, 2003
  11. Chris McBrien

    > > On 15 Sep 2003 12:51:54 -0700, (Chris McBrien)
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >IrfanView gives me the message... "Can't find vids:mjpg
    > > >decompressor". The Micro$oft player runs these clips OK. However
    > > >IrfanView does play other mpeg movie clips OK. I have downloaded ALL
    > > >of the plugins from the IrfanView site. What's my problem?

    > > Isn't MJPG Motion JPEG (not MPEG)?
    > >
    > > I don't know if Irfanview has a MJPG plugin. You can try e-mailing
    > > the Irfanview author to see if he can encorporate more codecs in the
    > > future.
    > >
    > > What's wrong with using Media player? If you are anti-microsoft you
    > > can use Media Player Classic (at doom9.org) or BSPlayer. These are
    > > free open source players that work fast and better.

    > I just find MicroSoft Media Player rather 'jumpy' when playing
    > clips. My computer has 384MB RAM, that should be enough.
    >
    > I'll get onto IrfanView about the Plugins and re-check my Fuji
    > software again.
    >
    > Chris.

    Microsoft Media Player 9 is "jumpy", Thank Bill for the software bloat.
    Media Player 7 was not so bad. But you can't find the Codecs for Media
    Player 7.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Sep 18, 2003
  12. Chris McBrien

    Jay Guest

    > eint wrote:
    >
    >> (Chris McBrien) wrote:
    >>
    >>IrfanView gives me the message... "Can't find vids:mjpg
    >>decompressor". ...

    > What's wrong with using Media player? ...

    I want to have a video clip in the middle of an IrfanView slide show.

    I have the same problem as Chris, but with a different camera (Canon S400).

    QuickTime plays the AVI clip, but IrfanView doesn't.

    Jay, Sep 22, 2003
  13. Chris McBrien

    Abrasha Guest

    Jay wrote:

    > > eint wrote:
    > >
    > >> (Chris McBrien) wrote:
    > >>
    > >>IrfanView gives me the message... "Can't find vids:mjpg
    > >>decompressor". ...

    > > What's wrong with using Media player? ...

    > I want to have a video clip in the middle of an IrfanView slide show.
    >
    > I have the same problem as Chris, but with a different camera (Canon S400).
    >
    > QuickTime plays the AVI clip, but IrfanView doesn't.

    That is, because even though the file has an .AVI extension, it is a Motion JPEG
    file. The way to solve this, is open the file from your camera in Virtualdub,
    save it again as an AVI, and than try to play it again in IrfanView. Might
    work.
    --
    Abrasha
    http://www.abrasha.com

    Abrasha, Sep 28, 2003
  14. Chris McBrien

    madeingermany

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    All you have to do is to rename the file to .mpeg, because it is really not an avi file.

    madeingermany, Oct 30, 2008
  15. Chris McBrien

    Herbert

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2009
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    Australia
    Hi Chris. I had the same problem. I wanted to get a 30 second video clip I'd made with my Canon Power-Shot A400 digital camera into Irfanview in the hope that I could improve its grainy quality.

    I got the same message as you.

    I then solved the problem by doing the following:

    1. Checked all of Irfanview's plug-in options.
    2. Used AVS Video Converter to convert the file from .avi to .mov
    3. (I already have QuickTime player installed) - install it if you don't already have it.
    4. I went to the irfanview website and downloaded/installed their full package of plug-ins.
    5. Opened up Irfanview and imported the QuickTime file of my video clip.

    Worked perfectly.

    Good luck! :)

    Herbert

    Herbert, Dec 30, 2009