IrfanView Plugins

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Terry Pinnell, Jun 25, 2012.

  1. Our discussion in the parallel thread 'Can this be done in IrfanView'
    reminded me that I knew very little about IrfanView plugins. Apart from
    the video plugin that is apparently responsible for playing some of my
    files, and that 'lossless rotation' thing, I'm not particularly aware of
    consciously using any.

    That prompted me to look at IrfanView > Help > Installed Plugins. I see I
    have no fewer than 65 of them!

    Presumably these all doing something useful in the background, or *could*
    if called upon to do so? And I suppose there are extra plugins I could
    download and use.

    For example, in the course of trying to find Irwell's RGBSpot I found
    something called 'Soft Vignette' which I downloaded. All I've done so far
    is copy the file here

    C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins\Adobe 8BF\softvignette.8bf

    in the vague hope that IrfanView would suddenly develop a new feature
    allowing me to apply that effect, but obviously that was over simplistic
    because I see no change.

    I've uploaded it here if anyone else is interested:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/softvignette.8bf

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jun 25, 2012

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Yrrah Guest

    Terry Pinnell <>:

    > Our discussion in the parallel thread 'Can this be done in IrfanView'
    > reminded me that I knew very little about IrfanView plugins. Apart from
    > the video plugin that is apparently responsible for playing some of my
    > files, and that 'lossless rotation' thing, I'm not particularly aware of
    > consciously using any.

    Install/keep what you need, get rid of what you don't need.

    http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm

    http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm

    <http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-cool-irfanview-plugins-enhance-simple-image-editor/>

    <http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pluginsfilterseffects/a/plugins-in-irfanview.htm>

    http://www.mitalia.net/irfanpaint/

    Yrrah

    Yrrah, Jun 25, 2012

  3. Yrrah <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell <>:
    >
    >> Our discussion in the parallel thread 'Can this be done in IrfanView'
    >> reminded me that I knew very little about IrfanView plugins. Apart from
    >> the video plugin that is apparently responsible for playing some of my
    >> files, and that 'lossless rotation' thing, I'm not particularly aware of
    >> consciously using any.

    >Install/keep what you need, get rid of what you don't need.
    >
    >http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm
    >
    >http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm
    >
    ><http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-cool-irfanview-plugins-enhance-simple-image-editor/>
    >
    ><http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pluginsfilterseffects/a/plugins-in-irfanview.htm>
    >
    >http://www.mitalia.net/irfanpaint/
    >
    >Yrrah

    Thanks, had seen the IV pages but studying the rest now.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jun 25, 2012
  4. David <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 14:50:37 +0100, Terry Pinnell
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>For example, in the course of trying to find Irwell's RGBSpot I found
    >>something called 'Soft Vignette' which I downloaded. All I've done so far
    >>is copy the file here
    >>
    >>C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins\Adobe 8BF\softvignette.8bf
    >>
    >>in the vague hope that IrfanView would suddenly develop a new feature
    >>allowing me to apply that effect, but obviously that was over simplistic
    >>because I see no change.
    >>
    >>I've uploaded it here if anyone else is interested:
    >>https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/softvignette.8bf

    >From the help file:
    >* 1. 8BF_FILTERS.DLL - This PlugIn allows IrfanView to load Adobe
    >Photoshop 8BF filters.
    >Note: some older/special 8BFs may require additional system DLLs.
    >You can download these DLLs here:
    >http://irfanview.tuwien.ac.at/plugins/8bf_tools.zip
    >Copy/unzip these DLLs into your Windows->System or System32 folder.
    >
    >Open image; Crtl+K opens Adobe 8bf dialog; click Add 8bf filters and
    >navigate to C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins\Adobe 8BF\; click OK
    >
    >Filters should then work.

    Thanks David. Penny finally dropped about 30 mins ago, as per my reply to
    Irwell.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jun 25, 2012
  5. Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    > For example, in the course of trying to find Irwell's RGBSpot I found
    > something called 'Soft Vignette' which I downloaded. All I've done so far
    > is copy the file here
    >
    > C:\Program Files\IrfanView\Plugins\Adobe 8BF\softvignette.8bf
    >
    > in the vague hope that IrfanView would suddenly develop a new feature
    > allowing me to apply that effect, but obviously that was over simplistic
    > because I see no change.

    You need to go to Image > Effects > Adobe 8BF Filters and add it to the
    list of available photoshop 8Bf filters if it isn't already shown. Then
    double click it on the list. You can also import all your old photoshop
    filters (I think newer ones don't work as Photoshop doesn't use the 8BF
    format anymore).

    You can also call up the 8BF filter list by pressing Ctrl-K in Irfanview.

    All this assumes you have the 8BF_Filters.dll plugin installed which is
    what makes the filters work under Irfanview, but by the sound of it you
    have the whole set of plugins so it should be ok.

    The Soft Vignette filter's default settings don't do much but if you reduce
    the height/width settings a lot it seems to work ok and I think vignetting
    is not an effect I already had available so it might come in useful at some
    point.

    Gordon Freeman, Jun 26, 2012