    please?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 22, 2007

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Bennie Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > One operation I find I'm performing quite often in IrfanView is to
    > create a custom crop selection and specify a *square* size. For
    > example on a photo of 1600 x 1200 I would specify 1200 x 1200. But
    > that selection then appears on the left of the image. So I invariably
    > want to move it horizontally rightwards to a more central position -
    > while keeping it *exactly* in the same vertical position. Otherwise I
    > end up with say 1200 x 1198. I don't find this easy by dragging with
    > the right mouse. Is there some *keyboard* method of achieving it
    > please?

    You can rightclick and drag the selection or you can input the starting
    x coordinate . For your example: perfect centering will be achieved
    after putting (1600-1200=400, 400/2 =200) 200 as the x-coordinate. HTHG

    --
    Bennie

    Bennie, Jan 22, 2007

  3. Bennie <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>
    >> One operation I find I'm performing quite often in IrfanView is to
    >> create a custom crop selection and specify a *square* size. For
    >> example on a photo of 1600 x 1200 I would specify 1200 x 1200. But
    >> that selection then appears on the left of the image. So I invariably
    >> want to move it horizontally rightwards to a more central position -
    >> while keeping it *exactly* in the same vertical position. Otherwise I
    >> end up with say 1200 x 1198. I don't find this easy by dragging with
    >> the right mouse. Is there some *keyboard* method of achieving it
    >> please?
    >>

    >You can rightclick and drag the selection or you can input the starting
    >x coordinate . For your example: perfect centering will be achieved
    >after putting (1600-1200=400, 400/2 =200) 200 as the x-coordinate. HTHG

    Thanks Bennie. Neat, I hadn't thought of using the X coordinate. Works
    a treat. In practice, with original sizes like 1724 x 1355, targeting
    a square of 1355 x 1355, and not necessarily wanting *exact*
    centering, the easiest approach seems to be to enter trial/error
    values in X. Only takes 2 or 3 to get it positioned as I want.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Jan 22, 2007