    Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Matt Ion Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
    > come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
    > is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
    > want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
    > IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
    > finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
    > usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
    > starting again.
    >
    > It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    > IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    > opening of my photo folders.
    >
    > Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

    My first suggestion would be to email Irfan, as I've always found him excellent
    with support and quick to respond (just remember, for those of us in the New
    World, that he's in Europe and thus a few hours ahead of us).
    Matt Ion, Dec 18, 2006

  3. Terry Pinnell <> wrote in

    > Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
    > come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
    > is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
    > want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
    > IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
    > finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
    > usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
    > starting again.
    >
    > It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    > IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    > opening of my photo folders.
    >
    > Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

    You talking about the paid version or the free version? Could be if you
    gave them your credit card number, they've tracked you down, and now
    they're into your machine and browsing your picture folders? LOL!

    Which version? Which plug-ins? How did you install/or upgrade?

    Sometimes after several upgrades 'over-the-top' IrfanView would need to be
    completely uninstalled and then reinstalled from scratch to eliminate some
    small but irritating little bug that I would notice had surfaced after an
    upgrade. Also, I use the 'all-the-plugins' pack installer, but those need
    to match the version of IrfanView which you're using as well.

    It would seem easy enough to download the latest (or favorite previous)
    program and matching plug-ins, completely uninstall/reinstall, and check if
    that resolves your issues.

    If you're ever in a boxing match,
    try not to let the other guy's glove touch your lips,
    because you don't even know where
    that glove has been.
    Bucky Breeder, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Terry Pinnell

    Don Guest

    Terry Pinnell <> wrote in

    > Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
    > come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
    > is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
    > want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
    > IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
    > finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
    > usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
    > starting again.
    >
    > It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    > IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    > opening of my photo folders.
    >
    > Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

    Absurd as it may sound?

    Try emptying the Internet Explorer Temp/cache files.
    You might also go into My Computer/Folders and clean up ALL Temp files.
    Then empty Trash Can.
    Then defrag your hard drive afterwards.
    Don, Dec 18, 2006
  5. Terry Pinnell

    if Guest

    Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    > It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    > IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    > opening of my photo folders.

    Try running scandisk or chkdisk, file system corruption can cause file
    access to slow down a lot and may cause other problems too. Also I find
    it's best not to have too many files in one directory - a few hundred is ok
    but a thousand or more can cause sluggishness.
    if, Dec 18, 2006
  6. if <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >> It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    >> IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    >> opening of my photo folders.

    >Try running scandisk or chkdisk, file system corruption can cause file
    >access to slow down a lot and may cause other problems too. Also I find
    >it's best not to have too many files in one directory - a few hundred is ok
    >but a thousand or more can cause sluggishness.

    Thanks. Do you mean a thousand in any one *subfolder*? I don't have
    that many (reckon there's 800 or so in my largest subfolder), but I
    have many thousand in the overall container folder D:\My
    Pictures\Photos\.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Dec 18, 2006
  7. Don <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell <> wrote in
    >
    >> Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
    >> come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
    >> is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
    >> want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
    >> IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
    >> finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
    >> usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
    >> starting again.
    >>
    >> It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    >> IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    >> opening of my photo folders.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.
    >>

    >Absurd as it may sound?
    >
    >Try emptying the Internet Explorer Temp/cache files.
    >You might also go into My Computer/Folders and clean up ALL Temp files.
    >Then empty Trash Can.
    >Then defrag your hard drive afterwards.

    Thanks. I do all those at least weekly, and defrag daily, so I don't
    think that's the cause.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Dec 18, 2006
  8. Matt Ion <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
    >> come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
    >> is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
    >> want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
    >> IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
    >> finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
    >> usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
    >> starting again.
    >>
    >> It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    >> IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    >> opening of my photo folders.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

    >My first suggestion would be to email Irfan, as I've always found him excellent
    >with support and quick to respond (just remember, for those of us in the New
    >World, that he's in Europe and thus a few hours ahead of us).

    Thanks, I will. I agree - I've always had first class support from
    him.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Dec 18, 2006
  9. Terry Pinnell

    Ernie Guest

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:57:28 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    >Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
    >come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
    >is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
    >want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
    >IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
    >finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
    >usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
    >starting again.
    >
    >It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    >IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    >opening of my photo folders.
    >
    >Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

    If you are using the latest version (version 3.99), I believe it is a
    bug in the start up.

    Use the menu options "Properties" -> "Misc 2" tab and set the "Set
    program start folder" to none. In previous versions, this did not
    cause a problem, but with version 3.99, I saw intermittent failures
    where Irfanview failed to enumerate all files in the directory, thus
    not being able to move back and forth among image files in the current
    directory.
    Ernie, Dec 19, 2006
  10. Terry Pinnell

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Ernie wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:57:28 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
    >> come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
    >> is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
    >> want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
    >> IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
    >> finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
    >> usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
    >> starting again.
    >>
    >> It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    >> IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    >> opening of my photo folders.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

    > If you are using the latest version (version 3.99), I believe it is a
    > bug in the start up.
    >
    > Use the menu options "Properties" -> "Misc 2" tab and set the "Set
    > program start folder" to none. In previous versions, this did not
    > cause a problem, but with version 3.99, I saw intermittent failures
    > where Irfanview failed to enumerate all files in the directory, thus
    > not being able to move back and forth among image files in the current
    > directory.

    I see same problem as op using 3.99. Start up directory is already set
    to none by default. I'm getting to like FastStone and may make it my
    default viewer. Irfanview still tops for batch conversion.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Dec 19, 2006
  11. Terry Pinnell

    jona Guest

    "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    > Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
    > come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
    > is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
    > want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
    > IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
    > finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
    > usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
    > starting again.
    >
    > It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    > IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    > opening of my photo folders.
    >
    > Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

    Just some thoughts:

    Somehow I think this has to do with the folder options/properties
    in windows explorer. When your problem occurs again, r-click
    the relevant folder, properties, customize, and set it to be <various
    options>. Play around with those. Also, turn of "thumbnail caching",
    iview might be trying to read that file (?).
    I browse my pics in much the same way except I'd ususlly view in
    full screen mode so that the pic is displayed in it's entirety (i.e. double
    click picture file and then press enter in iview). Using the L and R arrow
    keys for navigation has never been a problem.
    jona, Dec 19, 2006
  12. Ernie <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:57:28 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
    >>come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
    >>is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
    >>want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
    >>IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
    >>finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
    >>usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
    >>starting again.
    >>
    >>It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    >>IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    >>opening of my photo folders.
    >>
    >>Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

    >If you are using the latest version (version 3.99), I believe it is a
    >bug in the start up.
    >
    >Use the menu options "Properties" -> "Misc 2" tab and set the "Set
    >program start folder" to none. In previous versions, this did not
    >cause a problem, but with version 3.99, I saw intermittent failures
    >where Irfanview failed to enumerate all files in the directory, thus
    >not being able to move back and forth among image files in the current
    >directory.

    Excellent, thanks Ernie. Changing that from 'Last used folder' to
    'None' seems to have fixed it. Well, so far anyway. In view of Dave's
    observation I'll watch out for reoccurrence. Emailed Irfan also,
    before seeing your reply. Did you alert him to this?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Dec 19, 2006
  13. Terry Pinnell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
    > come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
    > is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
    > want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
    > IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
    > finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
    > usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
    > starting again.
    >
    > It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    > IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    > opening of my photo folders.
    >
    > Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

    Have you compressed the folder the pictures are in with the OS? IF so,
    then the delay is in uncompressing the pictures to a temp folder, and
    the navigation becomes inactive since the temp folder includes ONLY
    those pictures currently uncompressed. Other than that, I have had no
    problem with navigation becoming unavailable in Irfanview.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 19, 2006
  14. Terry Pinnell

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bucky Breeder wrote:
    > Terry Pinnell <> wrote in
    >
    >> Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
    >> come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
    >> is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
    >> want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
    >> IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
    >> finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
    >> usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
    >> starting again.
    >>
    >> It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    >> IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    >> opening of my photo folders.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.
    >>

    > You talking about the paid version or the free version? Could be if you
    > gave them your credit card number, they've tracked you down, and now
    > they're into your machine and browsing your picture folders? LOL!
    >

    > Which version? Which plug-ins? How did you install/or upgrade?
    >
    > Sometimes after several upgrades 'over-the-top' IrfanView would need to be
    > completely uninstalled and then reinstalled from scratch to eliminate some
    > small but irritating little bug that I would notice had surfaced after an
    > upgrade. Also, I use the 'all-the-plugins' pack installer, but those need
    > to match the version of IrfanView which you're using as well.
    >
    > It would seem easy enough to download the latest (or favorite previous)
    > program and matching plug-ins, completely uninstall/reinstall, and check if
    > that resolves your issues.
    >

    > Best wishes to all for a safe and joyous holiday season.

    Paid version? Are we talking about the same program. Irfanview is, and
    always has been, FREE.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 19, 2006
  15. Terry Pinnell

    Mike Fields Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >> Terry Pinnell <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users
    >>> have
    >>> come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing
    >>> method
    >>> is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
    >>> want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
    >>> IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
    >>> finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I
    >>> can
    >>> usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name,
    >>> and
    >>> starting again.
    >>>
    >>> It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    >>> IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    >>> opening of my photo folders.
    >>>
    >>> Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.
    >>>

    >> You talking about the paid version or the free version? Could be if
    >> you gave them your credit card number, they've tracked you down, and
    >> now they're into your machine and browsing your picture folders?
    >> LOL!
    >>

    >> Which version? Which plug-ins? How did you install/or upgrade?
    >>
    >> Sometimes after several upgrades 'over-the-top' IrfanView would need
    >> to be completely uninstalled and then reinstalled from scratch to
    >> eliminate some small but irritating little bug that I would notice
    >> had surfaced after an upgrade. Also, I use the 'all-the-plugins'
    >> pack installer, but those need to match the version of IrfanView
    >> which you're using as well.
    >>
    >> It would seem easy enough to download the latest (or favorite
    >> previous) program and matching plug-ins, completely
    >> uninstall/reinstall, and check if that resolves your issues.
    >>

    >> Best wishes to all for a safe and joyous holiday season.
    >>

    > Paid version? Are we talking about the same program. Irfanview is,
    > and always has been, FREE.

    For personal use -- for business, you are supposed to buy
    a license for it (although as far as I know, it is the same version).

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Dec 19, 2006
  16. Oh, that's right, lick my balls you retarded troll.

    Ron Hunter <> wrote in

    > Paid version? Are we talking about the same program.
    > Irfanview is, and always has been, FREE.

    "Christmas waves a magic wand over this world,
    and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful."
    - Norman Vincent Peale

    "A kind word can warm three months of winter."
    - Japanese proverb

    "Broken promises don't upset me.
    I just think, why did they ever believe me?"
    - Santa Claus
    Bucky Breeder, Dec 19, 2006
  17. Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
    >> come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
    >> is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
    >> want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
    >> IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
    >> finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
    >> usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
    >> starting again.
    >>
    >> It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    >> IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    >> opening of my photo folders.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.
    >>

    >Have you compressed the folder the pictures are in with the OS? IF so,
    >then the delay is in uncompressing the pictures to a temp folder, and
    >the navigation becomes inactive since the temp folder includes ONLY
    >those pictures currently uncompressed. Other than that, I have had no
    >problem with navigation becoming unavailable in Irfanview.

    Thanks, no compression. As you may now have seen, problem resolved by
    Ernie about 8 hours before your post.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Dec 19, 2006
  18. Terry Pinnell

    if Guest

    Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >> Also I find
    >>it's best not to have too many files in one directory - a few hundred
    >>is ok but a thousand or more can cause sluggishness.

    > Thanks. Do you mean a thousand in any one *subfolder*?

    Yes.
    if, Dec 19, 2006
  19. Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >Bit of an odd one this, and I wonder if any other IrfanView users have
    >come across similar behaviour please? My usual casual browsing method
    >is to open a My Computer folder of JPGs and d-click the first one I
    >want to view. Then I'll either use the L or R arrow keys, or click
    >IV's arrow icons, to move to the next. But quite often nowadays I'm
    >finding the arrows have greyed, and the keys no longer navigate. I can
    >usually correct this by copying the entire folder with a new name, and
    >starting again.
    >
    >It may well be some problem totally unrelated to the excellent
    >IrfanView. Particularly as I am also sometimes getting very slow
    >opening of my photo folders.
    >
    >Any thoughts on possible causes would be appreciated please.

    Re the side issue about slow folder opening: one of the many posts
    that my googling turned up reported that folders with AVI files can
    take a long time to open. Looks like that was at least a major factor
    here.

    My JPG photo folders have recently become sprinkled with a growing
    number of AVIs, from my Canon Ixus 60. I've now split them off into
    separate folders, and the main folders are now opening much faster.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Dec 23, 2006