    with the file highlighted please?

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 8, 2011

  2. On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 16:33:35 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > With an image open in IrfanView, how can I quickly open its Windows folder
    > with the file highlighted please?

    Define Explorer (or another file manager of your choice [it needs to
    support command line parameters, of course]) as External Editor in
    IrfanView (Options->Properties/Settings->Misc). If you use the first
    slot for external editors, the Hotkey Shift+E is assigned.

    You may need to experiment with Unicode Plugin setting (on/off - in
    the Options->Properties/Settings->Language section), if you experience
    problems starting the "editor" with all (or some certain) images.

    BeAr
    Please note: Only f-ups to acf are read.
    = What do you mean with: "Perfection is always an illusion"? =
    ===============================================================--(Oops!)===

    B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson, Nov 8, 2011

  3. Terry Pinnell

    VanguardLH Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > If I ever knew how to do this then I've forgotten!
    >
    > With an image open in IrfanView, how can I quickly open its Windows folder
    > with the file highlighted please?

    Okay, I'll bite. How did you open the file in the first place so it
    showed up in IrfanView?

    If it was, for example, an attachment in an e-mail, all e-mail gets sent
    as plain text with attachments encoded into a long string inside a MIME
    part within the body of the e-mail. That means the attachment has to be
    decoded and saved in some file from where it can be opened by the
    handler (Irfanview, in this case). For Outlook, that temp file is under
    "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK<nnnn>" where
    nnnn is a random number generated during the installation of Outlook.
    This also presumes you haven't change the TIF folder for the web browser
    under which Outlook creates its temporary secure folder used to store
    the decoded attachment into a file so it can be opened. If you are
    using some other e-mail client, you will have to find out where it
    decodes and saves a temp copy of an attachment that you "open" within
    the e-mail client.

    If you're looking at some web page image, a copy of it got downloaded
    into the cache folder for your unidentified web browser.

    VanguardLH, Nov 8, 2011
  4. VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    >> If I ever knew how to do this then I've forgotten!
    >>
    >> With an image open in IrfanView, how can I quickly open its Windows folder
    >> with the file highlighted please?

    >Okay, I'll bite. How did you open the file in the first place so it
    >showed up in IrfanView?
    >
    >If it was, for example, an attachment in an e-mail, all e-mail gets sent
    >as plain text with attachments encoded into a long string inside a MIME
    >part within the body of the e-mail. That means the attachment has to be
    >decoded and saved in some file from where it can be opened by the
    >handler (Irfanview, in this case). For Outlook, that temp file is under
    >"%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK<nnnn>" where
    >nnnn is a random number generated during the installation of Outlook.
    >This also presumes you haven't change the TIF folder for the web browser
    >under which Outlook creates its temporary secure folder used to store
    >the decoded attachment into a file so it can be opened. If you are
    >using some other e-mail client, you will have to find out where it
    >decodes and saves a temp copy of an attachment that you "open" within
    >the e-mail client.
    >
    >If you're looking at some web page image, a copy of it got downloaded
    >into the cache folder for your unidentified web browser.

    Thanks. I opened it from IrfanView Thumbnails View, which I've started
    using as it offers better viewing and other features than Windows
    Explorer.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 8, 2011
  5. Terry Pinnell

    milsabords Guest

    Terry Pinnell a formulé la demande :
    > VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >> Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I ever knew how to do this then I've forgotten!
    >>>
    >>> With an image open in IrfanView, how can I quickly open its Windows folder
    >>> with the file highlighted please?

    >> Okay, I'll bite. How did you open the file in the first place so it
    >> showed up in IrfanView?
    >>
    >> If it was, for example, an attachment in an e-mail, all e-mail gets sent
    >> as plain text with attachments encoded into a long string inside a MIME
    >> part within the body of the e-mail. That means the attachment has to be
    >> decoded and saved in some file from where it can be opened by the
    >> handler (Irfanview, in this case). For Outlook, that temp file is under
    >> "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK<nnnn>" where
    >> nnnn is a random number generated during the installation of Outlook.
    >> This also presumes you haven't change the TIF folder for the web browser
    >> under which Outlook creates its temporary secure folder used to store
    >> the decoded attachment into a file so it can be opened. If you are
    >> using some other e-mail client, you will have to find out where it
    >> decodes and saves a temp copy of an attachment that you "open" within
    >> the e-mail client.
    >>
    >> If you're looking at some web page image, a copy of it got downloaded
    >> into the cache folder for your unidentified web browser.

    > Thanks. I opened it from IrfanView Thumbnails View, which I've started
    > using as it offers better viewing and other features than Windows
    > Explorer.

    In Options->Extensions check Browse Readers/Folders. This will add an
    option to your right-click menu for disks and folders.

    milsabords, Nov 8, 2011
  6. Terry Pinnell

    VanguardLH Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > VanguardLH <> wrote:
    >
    >>Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>
    >>> If I ever knew how to do this then I've forgotten!
    >>>
    >>> With an image open in IrfanView, how can I quickly open its Windows folder
    >>> with the file highlighted please?

    >>Okay, I'll bite. How did you open the file in the first place so it
    >>showed up in IrfanView?
    >>
    >>If it was, for example, an attachment in an e-mail, all e-mail gets sent
    >>as plain text with attachments encoded into a long string inside a MIME
    >>part within the body of the e-mail. That means the attachment has to be
    >>decoded and saved in some file from where it can be opened by the
    >>handler (Irfanview, in this case). For Outlook, that temp file is under
    >>"%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK<nnnn>" where
    >>nnnn is a random number generated during the installation of Outlook.
    >>This also presumes you haven't change the TIF folder for the web browser
    >>under which Outlook creates its temporary secure folder used to store
    >>the decoded attachment into a file so it can be opened. If you are
    >>using some other e-mail client, you will have to find out where it
    >>decodes and saves a temp copy of an attachment that you "open" within
    >>the e-mail client.
    >>
    >>If you're looking at some web page image, a copy of it got downloaded
    >>into the cache folder for your unidentified web browser.

    > Thanks. I opened it from IrfanView Thumbnails View, which I've started
    > using as it offers better viewing and other features than Windows
    > Explorer.

    That is an alternative to Windows Explorer. If you go by Ederson's
    suggestion, you end up opening whatever is the handler for the filetype
    of the image file. You won't end up opening Windows Explorer with the
    file pre-selected.

    You can right-click on the folder in the tree list on the left but that
    just opens the folder and doesn't highlight the file(s) you selected.

    If you're just trying to list the files you selected in IrfanView
    Thumbnails viewer, select the files and right-click to then save the
    list as a .txt file. You can use that .txt file in a batch file or
    another program. To see that same list of image files in Irfanview, use
    the "Options -> Load files list from TXT file" menu in the Irfanview
    Thumbnails viewer.

    VanguardLH, Nov 9, 2011
  7. milsabords <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell a formulé la demande :
    >> VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >>> Okay, I'll bite. How did you open the file in the first place so it
    >>> showed up in IrfanView?
    >>>
    >>> If it was, for example, an attachment in an e-mail, all e-mail gets sent
    >>> as plain text with attachments encoded into a long string inside a MIME
    >>> part within the body of the e-mail. That means the attachment has to be
    >>> decoded and saved in some file from where it can be opened by the
    >>> handler (Irfanview, in this case). For Outlook, that temp file is under
    >>> "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK<nnnn>" where
    >>> nnnn is a random number generated during the installation of Outlook.
    >>> This also presumes you haven't change the TIF folder for the web browser
    >>> under which Outlook creates its temporary secure folder used to store
    >>> the decoded attachment into a file so it can be opened. If you are
    >>> using some other e-mail client, you will have to find out where it
    >>> decodes and saves a temp copy of an attachment that you "open" within
    >>> the e-mail client.
    >>>
    >>> If you're looking at some web page image, a copy of it got downloaded
    >>> into the cache folder for your unidentified web browser.

    >> Thanks. I opened it from IrfanView Thumbnails View, which I've started
    >> using as it offers better viewing and other features than Windows
    >> Explorer.

    >In Options->Extensions check Browse Readers/Folders. This will add an
    >option to your right-click menu for disks and folders.

    Thanks, but the option 'Add "Browse with IrfanView" for Drives and Folders
    to shell menu' doesn't do what I described.

    QUOTE:
    "With an image open in IrfanView, how can I quickly open its Windows
    folder with the file highlighted please?"

    In more detail...

    From scenarios like the following, I want to open the FOLDER containing
    the viewed file, with that file selected:

    1. I have a Windows folder open. It contains many images and video files.
    I'm successively opening all of them in IrfanView. Apart from the first
    one (which I open with either a d-click or using the r-click > Open with
    menu), I do this with the right arrow key. (Note that on closing the last
    viewed image, the folder still shows the FIRST file opened, which might be
    hundreds of thumbnails back from the one required.)

    2. I don't have its Windows folder open. I'm using IrfanView Thumbnails to
    view or play the file.

    In both cases, once I have the image selected in its Explorer folder, I
    can then do familiar operations on it, such as drag it into my video
    editor where I make DVDs.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 9, 2011
  8. Terry Pinnell

    VanguardLH Guest

    milsabords wrote:

    > Terry Pinnell:
    >
    >> VanguardLH wrote:

    >>> Okay, I'll bite. How did you open the file in the first place so
    >>> it showed up in IrfanView?

    >> Thanks. I opened it from IrfanView Thumbnails View, which I've
    >> started using as it offers better viewing and other features than
    >> Windows Explorer.

    > In Options->Extensions check Browse Readers/Folders. This will add an
    > option to your right-click menu for disks and folders.

    That's going backwards to what the OP wants. That option adds an
    extension to Windows Explorer (explorer.exe). When the user is in
    Windows Explorer and right-clicks on a drive or folder, a new content
    menu entry will show up with this option enabled for "Browse with
    Irfanview". That will open IrfanView Thumbnails viewer starting at
    that folder level selected in Windows Explorer.

    The OP wants to go in the *opposite* direction. He wants to start in
    Irfanview Thumbnails and go BACKWARD by loading Windows Explorer with
    it pointing at whatever is the current folder selected in Irfanview
    Thumbnails (and also wants the files selected in Irfanview Thumbnails
    to already be pre-selected in Windows Explorer). I don't see a method
    in Irfanview to do what the OP wants.

    The OP wants to go from:

    Irfanview Thumbnails -> Windows Explorer

    Not from:

    Windows Explorer -> Irfanview Thumbnails

    Well, that's what the OP indicated in his reply. His original message
    asked how to go from:

    Irfanview -> Windows Explorer

    VanguardLH, Nov 9, 2011
  9. Guy <Use-Reply-To-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    >> With an image open in IrfanView, how can I quickly open its
    >> Windows folder with the file highlighted please?
    >>

    >Create Shortcut (.LNK) to Explorer with Target:
    >
    > %systemroot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,
    >

    >Use Shortcut (.LNK) as an external editor
    >
    > Options > Properties/Settings... > Miscellaneous > Set external editor

    Did you try it? Using several variations of your suggested string (e.g.
    with or without commas, etc), IrfanView consistently stripped that to
    C:\Windows\Explore.exe which of course just re-opens the file.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 9, 2011
  10. VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >>>Okay, I'll bite. How did you open the file in the first place so it
    >>>showed up in IrfanView?
    >>>
    >>>If it was, for example, an attachment in an e-mail, all e-mail gets sent
    >>>as plain text with attachments encoded into a long string inside a MIME
    >>>part within the body of the e-mail. That means the attachment has to be
    >>>decoded and saved in some file from where it can be opened by the
    >>>handler (Irfanview, in this case). For Outlook, that temp file is under
    >>>"%userprofile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK<nnnn>" where
    >>>nnnn is a random number generated during the installation of Outlook.
    >>>This also presumes you haven't change the TIF folder for the web browser
    >>>under which Outlook creates its temporary secure folder used to store
    >>>the decoded attachment into a file so it can be opened. If you are
    >>>using some other e-mail client, you will have to find out where it
    >>>decodes and saves a temp copy of an attachment that you "open" within
    >>>the e-mail client.
    >>>
    >>>If you're looking at some web page image, a copy of it got downloaded
    >>>into the cache folder for your unidentified web browser.

    >> Thanks. I opened it from IrfanView Thumbnails View, which I've started
    >> using as it offers better viewing and other features than Windows
    >> Explorer.

    >That is an alternative to Windows Explorer. If you go by Ederson's
    >suggestion, you end up opening whatever is the handler for the filetype
    >of the image file. You won't end up opening Windows Explorer with the
    >file pre-selected.
    >
    >You can right-click on the folder in the tree list on the left but that
    >just opens the folder and doesn't highlight the file(s) you selected.
    >
    >If you're just trying to list the files you selected in IrfanView
    >Thumbnails viewer, select the files and right-click to then save the
    >list as a .txt file. You can use that .txt file in a batch file or
    >another program. To see that same list of image files in Irfanview, use
    >the "Options -> Load files list from TXT file" menu in the Irfanview
    >Thumbnails viewer.

    Thanks. You've accurately summarised what I want to do (except for your
    final paragraph; no text files or lists involved in my requirement).

    See also my reply earlier this morning to milsabords.

    I too am coming to the conclusion it can't be done with IrfanView alone.

    Such a pity that returning to the Explorer folder after arrow key viewing
    doesn't identify your LAST view. And that as well as its 21 other r-click
    options, Thumbnail View doesn't include 'Open in Explorer'.

    I'll drop an email to Irfan.

    Meanwhile I'm trying to write a script with my macro program, Macro
    Express Pro. It's not easy, partly because I want it to handle video files
    (like AVI) as well as images. But also because after a promising start
    point I found of opening the Batch Conversion dialog, I hit a snag, as
    shown:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/IrfanView-FolderIssue-1.jpg

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 9, 2011
  11. Terry Pinnell

    AnthonyL Guest

    <> wrote:

    >If I ever knew how to do this then I've forgotten!
    >
    >With an image open in IrfanView, how can I quickly open its Windows folder
    >with the file highlighted please?

    I often find Picasa more useful than Irfanview and in this case a
    simple ctrl-enter on an image seems to do exactly what you want ie
    opens a Windows explorer window with that image highlighted.

    I also find Picasa more useful for browsing than Irfanview.

    --
    AnthonyL

    AnthonyL, Nov 9, 2011
  12. Guy <Use-Reply-To-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >
    >> Guy wrote:

    >>> Create Shortcut (.LNK) to Explorer with Target:
    >>>
    >>> %systemroot%\explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,
    >>>

    >>> Use Shortcut (.LNK) as an external editor
    >>>
    >>> Options > Properties/Settings... > Miscellaneous > Set external editor
    >>>

    >> Did you try it?
    >>

    >Yes.
    >
    >> Using several variations of your suggested string
    >> (e.g. with or without commas, etc), IrfanView consistently
    >> stripped that to C:\Windows\Explore.exe which of course just
    >> re-opens the file.
    >>

    ><http://oi42.tinypic.com/2a5elu9.jpg>
    >

    >If necessary Copy and Paste above Target.
    >There is ONE space, line ends with COMMA.

    Many thanks, now succeeded!

    I had been trying to use Browse to navigate to my (correctly specified)
    shortcut, but as you saw from my previous post that proved futile. So now
    I have instead inserted the shortcut into IrfanView's setting in full, as
    I see you do. This
    C:\Documents and Settings\Terry\Desktop\Open Explorer folder.lnk
    now works a treat.

    See also my reply to BeAr re Irfan's comments.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 9, 2011
  13. Terry Pinnell

    milsabords Guest

    Terry Pinnell a formulé ce mercredi :
    > VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >> Terry Pinnell wrote:

    >>> Thanks. I opened it from IrfanView Thumbnails View, which I've started
    >>> using as it offers better viewing and other features than Windows
    >>> Explorer.

    >> That is an alternative to Windows Explorer. If you go by Ederson's
    >> suggestion, you end up opening whatever is the handler for the filetype
    >> of the image file. You won't end up opening Windows Explorer with the
    >> file pre-selected.
    >>
    >> You can right-click on the folder in the tree list on the left but that
    >> just opens the folder and doesn't highlight the file(s) you selected.
    >>
    >> If you're just trying to list the files you selected in IrfanView
    >> Thumbnails viewer, select the files and right-click to then save the
    >> list as a .txt file. You can use that .txt file in a batch file or
    >> another program. To see that same list of image files in Irfanview, use
    >> the "Options -> Load files list from TXT file" menu in the Irfanview
    >> Thumbnails viewer.

    > Thanks. You've accurately summarised what I want to do (except for your
    > final paragraph; no text files or lists involved in my requirement).

    > See also my reply earlier this morning to milsabords.

    > I too am coming to the conclusion it can't be done with IrfanView alone.

    > Such a pity that returning to the Explorer folder after arrow key viewing
    > doesn't identify your LAST view. And that as well as its 21 other r-click
    > options, Thumbnail View doesn't include 'Open in Explorer'.

    > I'll drop an email to Irfan.

    > Meanwhile I'm trying to write a script with my macro program, Macro
    > Express Pro. It's not easy, partly because I want it to handle video files
    > (like AVI) as well as images. But also because after a promising start
    > point I found of opening the Batch Conversion dialog, I hit a snag, as
    > shown:

    > http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/IrfanView-FolderIssue-1.jpg

    Picasa can do it.

    milsabords, Nov 9, 2011
  14. d (AnthonyL) wrote:

    >On Tue, 08 Nov 2011 16:33:35 +0000, Terry Pinnell
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>If I ever knew how to do this then I've forgotten!
    >>
    >>With an image open in IrfanView, how can I quickly open its Windows folder
    >>with the file highlighted please?
    >>

    >I often find Picasa more useful than Irfanview and in this case a
    >simple ctrl-enter on an image seems to do exactly what you want ie
    >opens a Windows explorer window with that image highlighted.
    >
    >I also find Picasa more useful for browsing than Irfanview.

    Milsabords, Anthony,

    Thanks both. Yes, I like Picasa too, and it has some lovely features. But
    for opening a JPG *fast* I've found nothing to touch IrfanView. And once
    it's open...

    BTW, one Picasa feature that I find unbeatable is its straightener.

    But I confess to always getting lost trying to navigate folders/files in
    Picasa. The familiar Windows structure is so ingrained I suppose!

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 10, 2011
  15. Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    >Thanks for that helpful follow-up.
    >
    >Irfan said:
    >"OK, I will probably add this to FAQs ;-)"

    Irfan's now updated the FAQ to include this handy tip.
    http://www.irfanview.com/faq.htm#Q37

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Nov 11, 2011