    were sized nicely when viewed individually.

    What do I do to get the image size down so that no scrolling is
    necessary?

    Marshall D Abrams, Jul 6, 2004

  2. Marshall D Abrams

    Steve Guest

    Marshall D Abrams wrote:
    > I'm using Irfanview to produce html thumbnails and associated images.
    > The first file works without a hitch. The second file creates images
    > that are larger than the screen, necessitating scrolling. These images
    > were sized nicely when viewed individually.
    >
    > What do I do to get the image size down so that no scrolling is
    > necessary?

    Marshall:

    While I have been using Irfanview as my primary image viewer for about 3
    years, I do NOT use it for making thumbnails as there are better products
    available (and for free). I would recommend Easy Thumbnails from Fookes
    Software at:

    http://www.fookes.com/index.php

    What I do not like about Irfanview's thumbnail creation capability is that
    it makes square thumbnails where the user must choose the background color
    of the non-image part of the thumbnails. This part of the thumbnail with
    dither differently than the background of the web pages your browser (tested
    on both Mozilla and Internet Explorer).

    Good luck,

    Steve

    Steve, Jul 6, 2004

  3. I have no problem with the thumbnails. The problem is with viewing the
    images. Perhaps the viewing is called an HTML slide show. It displays
    "next," "prev," and "thumbnails" around the image. My problem is that
    the image is sometimes too big. I want the image to fit on the screen.
    I've tried experimenting with many options, but haven't found the
    right one.

    Marshall D Abrams, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Marshall D Abrams

    Frank ess Guest

    Marshall D Abrams wrote:
    > I have no problem with the thumbnails. The problem is with viewing the
    > images. Perhaps the viewing is called an HTML slide show. It displays
    > "next," "prev," and "thumbnails" around the image. My problem is that
    > the image is sometimes too big. I want the image to fit on the screen.
    > I've tried experimenting with many options, but haven't found the
    > right one.

    See if this is the one that works:
    View
    Display Options
    Fit only big images to window

    Frank ess, Jul 6, 2004
  5. On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:06:29 GMT, "Frank ess" <>
    wrote:

    >Marshall D Abrams wrote:
    >> I have no problem with the thumbnails. The problem is with viewing the
    >> images. Perhaps the viewing is called an HTML slide show. It displays
    >> "next," "prev," and "thumbnails" around the image. My problem is that
    >> the image is sometimes too big. I want the image to fit on the screen.
    >> I've tried experimenting with many options, but haven't found the
    >> right one.
    >>

    >See if this is the one that works:
    >View
    >Display Options
    >Fit only big images to window

    That didn't work. But let's see if I'm doing things in the right
    order. (1) I got to the first jpg file in the set of pictures. I click
    on it and Irfanview opens (vers 3.91). (2) With the picture open, I
    select the View / Display Options / Fit only big images to window. (3)
    I click on File /Thumbnails. (4) The thumbnails window opens and I go
    through the steps of generating thumbnails. (5) After selecting all
    images, I select File / Save selected thumbs at HTML file with options
    (a) Copy original images to destination file, (b) Create one HTML file
    for each thumbnail, and (c) Write file info/text. I selected only $f
    (file name).

    When viewing the images in Internet Explorer, the first 14 jpg images
    are too big. The 15th is nicely displayed. The first 14 are ~600-700
    KB, while the 15th is 144 KB.

    I can't think of ewhat else to say. What shall I try next?

    Marshall D Abrams, Jul 6, 2004
  6. Marshall D Abrams

    ez Guest

    In rec.photo.digital, Marshall D Abrams
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:06:29 GMT, "Frank ess" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Marshall D Abrams wrote:
    >>> I have no problem with the thumbnails. The problem is with viewing the
    >>> images. Perhaps the viewing is called an HTML slide show. It displays
    >>> "next," "prev," and "thumbnails" around the image. My problem is that
    >>> the image is sometimes too big. I want the image to fit on the screen.
    >>> I've tried experimenting with many options, but haven't found the
    >>> right one.
    >>>

    >>See if this is the one that works:
    >>View
    >>Display Options
    >>Fit only big images to window
    >>

    >That didn't work. But let's see if I'm doing things in the right
    >order. (1) I got to the first jpg file in the set of pictures. I click
    >on it and Irfanview opens (vers 3.91). (2) With the picture open, I
    >select the View / Display Options / Fit only big images to window. (3)
    >I click on File /Thumbnails. (4) The thumbnails window opens and I go
    >through the steps of generating thumbnails. (5) After selecting all
    >images, I select File / Save selected thumbs at HTML file with options
    >(a) Copy original images to destination file, (b) Create one HTML file
    >for each thumbnail, and (c) Write file info/text. I selected only $f
    >(file name).
    >
    >When viewing the images in Internet Explorer, the first 14 jpg images
    >are too big. The 15th is nicely displayed. The first 14 are ~600-700
    >KB, while the 15th is 144 KB.
    >
    >I can't think of ewhat else to say. What shall I try next?

    There may not be anything you can do with Irfanview. More than likely,
    the first 14 images are large images (1024x768, 2048x1536, etc.) and
    the 15th is smaller in size. Irfanview generates HTML code to insert
    the image using the image's resolution. So, images are rendered in
    their original size.

    You can take all your images and convert to a smaller size, say
    800x600, and generated your HTML slide show using the smaller images.

    ez, Jul 7, 2004
  7. I looked at the HTML files created. The large JPG files created images
    with large heights, such as 960. Small files created images with
    heights around 400.

    One solution is to manually edit the HTML files in which the images
    that are too large. It probably would be better to reduce the size of
    the JPG source files. Is there way in Irfanview to resize a whole
    batch of JRG files?

    It seems to me that this is a bug in Irfanview. I'm going to suggest
    that an option to limit the image size be added.

    Marshall D Abrams, Jul 7, 2004
  8. Marshall D Abrams

    Jay Guest

    > ... Is there way in Irfanview to resize a whole
    > batch of JRG files?

    One way: in the thumbnail view, select the files of interest and use
    File > Start batch dialog

    In the batch dialog, use
    Advanced options > Set new size as percentage of original

    There are a variety of other batch options you might find useful.

    (I have v3.8.)

    Jay, Jul 7, 2004
  9. Marshall D Abrams

    Jay Guest

    >> ... Is there way in Irfanview to resize a whole batch of JRG files?
    >
    > One way: in the thumbnail view, select the files of interest and use
    > File > Start batch dialog
    >
    > In the batch dialog, use
    > Advanced options > Set new size as percentage of original

    When doing this, be careful not to overwrite the original files!

    Jay, Jul 7, 2004
  10. Marshall D Abrams

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jay wrote:

    >>... Is there way in Irfanview to resize a whole
    >>batch of JRG files?

    > One way: in the thumbnail view, select the files of interest and use
    > File > Start batch dialog
    >
    > In the batch dialog, use
    > Advanced options > Set new size as percentage of original
    >
    > There are a variety of other batch options you might find useful.
    >
    > (I have v3.8.)

    Jay,
    Current version is 3.91. You might want to update.

    Ron Hunter, Jul 8, 2004