IrfanView: How to do this?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Terry Pinnell, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. I've recently started using IrfanView 3.75 for viewing JPGs/GIFs etc,
    instead of PaintShop Pro 7. It's much faster and has a few other neat
    features I like, such as allowing fast navigation and deletion within
    a folder.

    But I haven't yet grasped how to do what I'm sure must be a trivial
    task. Could someone step me through the exact steps to get two
    successive clipboard copies (screenshot captures) pasted into one
    image please?

    If I use Image>Create New (empty) image, and accept the defaults, I
    get the empty white window I'd expect. But why is it titled 'Clipboard
    - IrfanView'? I'd expect something like 'IrfanView - Image1' until I
    changed it with a Save. And if I then do a Ctrl-v to paste my capture
    into it, I get the result locked in the top left corner, background
    now becomes black, and title becomes 'Clipboard01- IrfanView'. If I
    paste a second capture, it appears to over-write the first, and title
    changes to 'Clipboard01- IrfanView'.

    I appreciate that IrfanView is primarily a viewer (an excellent one),
    not an editor. I would obviously fire up PSP7 to do something more
    ambitious. But IrfanView does appears to have basic editing
    facilities. I just need to understand how to use them!

    Any advice would be much appreciated please.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Terry Pinnell

    sid derra Guest

    "Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    > I've recently started using IrfanView 3.75 for viewing JPGs/GIFs etc,
    > instead of PaintShop Pro 7. It's much faster and has a few other neat
    > features I like, such as allowing fast navigation and deletion within
    > a folder.
    >
    > But I haven't yet grasped how to do what I'm sure must be a trivial
    > task. Could someone step me through the exact steps to get two
    > successive clipboard copies (screenshot captures) pasted into one
    > image please?

    hi terry

    afaik - and i have been using irfanview for about 5 years now i think - this
    isn't possible (yet?) you may drop the author irfan a message though - he -
    like me - is from austria and is said to be very nice and considered quite a
    few user suggestions for future releases before.

    rock on.

    sid derra, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Terry Pinnell

    A Sherman Guest

    > But I haven't yet grasped how to do what I'm sure must be a trivial
    > task. Could someone step me through the exact steps to get two
    > successive clipboard copies (screenshot captures) pasted into one
    > image please?
    >
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    I haven't tried it but it looks like "Image > Create Panorama Image" might do
    this.

    Al

    A Sherman, Oct 6, 2004
  4. "A Sherman" <als62@> wrote:

    >"Terry Pinnell" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> But I haven't yet grasped how to do what I'm sure must be a trivial
    >> task. Could someone step me through the exact steps to get two
    >> successive clipboard copies (screenshot captures) pasted into one
    >> image please?
    >>
    >> Terry, West Sussex, UK
    >>

    >I haven't tried it but it looks like "Image > Create Panorama Image" might do
    >this.
    >
    > Al

    Yes indeed it does thanks, Al. I discovered it shortly after my post.
    You have to open up a new image, use Image > Create Panorama Image,
    then Add, and then specify the two files. They must of course be
    orientated correctly, and the positions are strictly limited to those
    two: horizontal and vertical. It does have the merit of avoiding
    running PSP7, but it's far from flexible!

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 6, 2004
  5. "sid derra" <ng_NO_@_SPAM_emolife.net> wrote:

    >hi terry
    >
    >afaik - and i have been using irfanview for about 5 years now i think - this
    >isn't possible (yet?) you may drop the author irfan a message though - he -
    >like me - is from austria and is said to be very nice and considered quite a
    >few user suggestions for future releases before.

    Thanks. I did drop Irfan a note a few days ago, but so far no reply.

    See also my reply to Al...

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Oct 6, 2004