    Anyone able to reproduce? Anyone with any ideas on the cause please?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 10:50:46 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Terry Pinnell
    <> wrote:

    >I want an all black image of size 288x216 pixels. Rather than use
    >Image > Create new (which means altering my standard non-black
    >background colour), I opened an
    >existing 1024x768 black image and did these operations:
    >
    >1. Shift-c (to get customised cropping)
    >2. Made sure no aspect ratio entered
    >3. Entered width and height of 288 and 216 respectively
    >4. Ctrl-y (to crop)
    >
    >But the result is size 288x215!
    >
    >Same each time I tried. Yet 288x217, 288x215, 288x214 all gave correct
    >result...
    >
    >Anyone able to reproduce? Anyone with any ideas on the cause please?

    Just set 4:3 aspect ratio and it works fine.
    -
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Sep 20, 2006

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Matt Ion Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > I want an all black image of size 288x216 pixels. Rather than use
    > Image > Create new (which means altering my standard non-black
    > background colour), I opened an
    > existing 1024x768 black image and did these operations:
    >
    > 1. Shift-c (to get customised cropping)
    > 2. Made sure no aspect ratio entered
    > 3. Entered width and height of 288 and 216 respectively
    > 4. Ctrl-y (to crop)
    >
    > But the result is size 288x215!
    >
    > Same each time I tried. Yet 288x217, 288x215, 288x214 all gave correct
    > result...
    >
    > Anyone able to reproduce? Anyone with any ideas on the cause please?

    I just tried it... worked perfectly.

    What version of IrfanView are you using?

    Try dropping Irfan an email if the problem continues, he's very good with support.
    Matt Ion, Sep 20, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    says...
    > I want an all black image of size 288x216 pixels. Rather than use
    > Image > Create new (which means altering my standard non-black
    > background colour), I opened an
    > existing 1024x768 black image and did these operations:
    >
    > 1. Shift-c (to get customised cropping)
    > 2. Made sure no aspect ratio entered
    > 3. Entered width and height of 288 and 216 respectively
    > 4. Ctrl-y (to crop)
    >
    > But the result is size 288x215!
    >
    > Same each time I tried. Yet 288x217, 288x215, 288x214 all gave correct
    > result...
    >
    > Anyone able to reproduce? Anyone with any ideas on the cause please?

    Dodgy '6' key ?

    T.
    Tony Gartshore, Sep 20, 2006
  5. Matt Ion <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> I want an all black image of size 288x216 pixels. Rather than use
    >> Image > Create new (which means altering my standard non-black
    >> background colour), I opened an
    >> existing 1024x768 black image and did these operations:
    >>
    >> 1. Shift-c (to get customised cropping)
    >> 2. Made sure no aspect ratio entered
    >> 3. Entered width and height of 288 and 216 respectively
    >> 4. Ctrl-y (to crop)
    >>
    >> But the result is size 288x215!
    >>
    >> Same each time I tried. Yet 288x217, 288x215, 288x214 all gave correct
    >> result...
    >>
    >> Anyone able to reproduce? Anyone with any ideas on the cause please?

    >I just tried it... worked perfectly.
    >
    >What version of IrfanView are you using?
    >
    >Try dropping Irfan an email if the problem continues, he's very good with support.

    Thanks both. I also had a prompt reply from Irfan:
    "Hmm, was the original image zoomed? [It wasn't.]
    In this case, some rounding errors are possible, sorry :-(
    (very hard to fix)

    Use 1:1 display and the problem should dissipater."

    But on repeating the exercise several times, I now get the correct
    result (regardless of View > Display Options).

    VERY strange - can't begin to guess at what could cause such a bizarre
    result!

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Sep 20, 2006
  6. Terry Pinnell

    Bucky Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > Thanks both. I also had a prompt reply from Irfan:
    > "Hmm, was the original image zoomed? [It wasn't.]
    > In this case, some rounding errors are possible, sorry :-(
    > (very hard to fix)

    I was also going to mention that you need to display at 1:1 to ensure
    exact cropping. Do not fit to window or desktop or anything. Make sure
    the zoom status says 100%.

    What's your monitor resolution? What part of the photo are you trying
    to crop (from a corner/edge? or in the middle of the photo?)

    The rounding errors may be different with a different starting point
    for the crop.
    Bucky, Sep 20, 2006
  7. Terry Pinnell

    Matt Ion Guest

    Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > Thanks both. I also had a prompt reply from Irfan:

    Told ya :) I registered the software (something like $10 or $15 through PayPal)
    after the first time I communicated with him - not just a great free program,
    but Irfan gives great support - well worth showing my appreciation!
    Matt Ion, Sep 21, 2006
  8. Terry Pinnell

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >Matt Ion <> wrote:

    >>Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>> I want an all black image of size 288x216 pixels. Rather than use
    >>> Image > Create new (which means altering my standard non-black
    >>> background colour), I opened an
    >>> existing 1024x768 black image and did these operations:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Shift-c (to get customised cropping)
    >>> 2. Made sure no aspect ratio entered
    >>> 3. Entered width and height of 288 and 216 respectively
    >>> 4. Ctrl-y (to crop)
    >>>
    >>> But the result is size 288x215!
    >>>
    >>> Same each time I tried. Yet 288x217, 288x215, 288x214 all gave correct
    >>> result...
    >>>
    >>> Anyone able to reproduce? Anyone with any ideas on the cause please?

    >>I just tried it... worked perfectly.
    >>
    >>What version of IrfanView are you using?
    >>
    >>Try dropping Irfan an email if the problem continues, he's very good with support.

    >Thanks both. I also had a prompt reply from Irfan:
    >"Hmm, was the original image zoomed? [It wasn't.]
    >In this case, some rounding errors are possible, sorry :-(
    >(very hard to fix)

    >Use 1:1 display and the problem should dissipater."

    >But on repeating the exercise several times, I now get the correct
    >result (regardless of View > Display Options).

    >VERY strange - can't begin to guess at what could cause such a bizarre
    >result!

    Good to hear that the problem has gone away.

    Speaking for myself, inanimate objects seem to sometimes
    have a will of their own. I've found that speaking to
    them in a firm voice filled with menace sometimes helps.

    Software, however, is in a class by itself. Very difficult
    to handle. I've even tried yanking the power cord from the
    wall in order to teach it a lesson. Works sometimes, but
    only sometimes.

    And be warned, never turn your back on a program. If it is
    going to misbehave, it will surely pick that moment to do
    so.

    ---- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Sep 21, 2006
  9. Tony Gartshore <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> I want an all black image of size 288x216 pixels. Rather than use
    >> Image > Create new (which means altering my standard non-black
    >> background colour), I opened an
    >> existing 1024x768 black image and did these operations:
    >>
    >> 1. Shift-c (to get customised cropping)
    >> 2. Made sure no aspect ratio entered
    >> 3. Entered width and height of 288 and 216 respectively
    >> 4. Ctrl-y (to crop)
    >>
    >> But the result is size 288x215!
    >>
    >> Same each time I tried. Yet 288x217, 288x215, 288x214 all gave correct
    >> result...
    >>
    >> Anyone able to reproduce? Anyone with any ideas on the cause please?
    >>

    >Dodgy '6' key ?

    Tony: I'd have thought that was a distinct possibility, as this MS KB
    has had about 4 years of solid use and I really must change it. But
    the '216' appeared consistently in the Height box. And I can type
    666666666666656666666666 consistently with no '5's showing up <g>

    Bucky: I'd tried various alternatives, including dragging the target
    crop from its default top-left position into the centre. Resolution is
    1024 x 768. I also hadn't done any zooming, in or out, merely opened
    that file and performed those cropping steps. Prompted by your post I
    just tried a score of zoom/display combinations. The only one that
    gave an incorrect result was after hitting '-' twice to zoom out from
    the original 1024x768 to 614x461. (Resulting in an easily noticeable
    much smaller black rectangle.) Cropping to 222x216 then gave me
    288x217.

    Paul: I had already gone through the menace (and expletive) phases, in
    vain!

    Matt: Indeed - one of the very best.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK