    view them. Can i use Irfanview to convert the files to 200 dpi and if
    so, how?
    >Andy, Jul 9, 2006

  2. Andy,
    * open the image with irfanview
    * click [Image]
    * click [Resize/Resample]
    * change [DPI] to 200

    John

    ----

    ICQ UIN: 17241789
    ----
    John Capleton, Jul 9, 2006

  3. >Andy

    sittingduck Guest

    John Capleton wrote:

    > Andy,
    > * open the image with irfanview
    > * click [Image]
    > * click [Resize/Resample]
    > * change [DPI] to 200

    I'm not sure if you need the Irfanview plugins or not, if you can't seem to
    do this, download and install them....

    A really cool feature of Irfanview is /clippaste. make a shortcut and add
    /clippaste to the target: D:\IrfanView\i_view32.exe /clippaste
    now, you can simply right click and copy an image, then hit your clippaste
    shortcut, which will open irfanview with the image ready to edit/save, etc.
    Works great for screenshots too.
    sittingduck, Jul 9, 2006
  4. >Andy

    Dan Evans Guest

    ">Andy<" <> wrote in message
    > Our local paper says, "Please be sure electronic photos are scanned at
    > 200 dpi with a width of at least 3 inches."

    How do you scan an electronic photo? Put the monitor on the scanner bed? IS
    that 3 inches screen size (how big is your monitor), or the original size.

    If the original (on the camera) is less than 200 DPI, increasing the DPI
    with an application isn't going to add the missing detail.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jul 9, 2006
  5. >Andy

    PeeCee Guest

    ">Andy<" <> wrote in message
    > Our local paper says, "Please be sure electronic photos are scanned at
    > 200 dpi with a width of at least 3 inches."
    >
    > I use a sony camera and it saves in jpg format. I use Irfanview to
    > view them. Can i use Irfanview to convert the files to 200 dpi and if
    > so, how?

    Andy

    Your local paper is refering to 'scanning photographs taken with a film
    camera' (or posters, paintings, plans etc, ie anything you can fit in a
    Scanner) not photographs taken with your digital camera.

    What they want is for you to scan any (film) photo's you send them so it is
    detailed enough to enable reproduction at a useable size.
    If you like the Paper is asking for a minimum electronic photo 600 pixels
    wide (200 dpi x 3 inches = 600 picture elements or pixels)
    Your digital camera unless it is a toy or webcam is likely to have enough
    resolution for their requirements, fiddling with the dpi settings in
    Irfanview is not going to change the base resolution of your photographs,
    just how big Irfanview will print it.

    John has given you the location of the dpi box in Irfan view. May I suggest
    you try it out as follows and see what changing this value does in
    Irfanview.

    Open a reasonably large photo (1280 x 960 or more) then go File, Print,
    select 'Original size (from image DPI), note how big it is in the preview
    window and the "Resulting image size on paper" just above the print button
    lower right.
    Now close the preview window and open Image, Resize/Resample and change the
    DPI setting to (eg) 400 and OK
    Reopen the print diaglog (File, Print) again select "Original size (from
    image DPI) and note how the preview picture has shrunk and the 'Resulting
    Image size" has also got smaller. All changing the dpi in Irfanview has done
    is 'change the number of picture elements printed per inch' on paper. Try
    setting the dpi to 25 and see what the Original size gives in print preview.

    If you want to experiment even further open the Image, Information box (the
    circled I on the toolbar) and adjust the dpi settings there. Try making one
    75 dpi and the other 150 dpi and then check on the print preview to see the
    picture with a 1:2 aspect ration.
    (This can be handy if you have a photo that someone has squashed and you
    want to correct it)

    The 'jpg' format by the way is just the method used to record the photo's
    information to a disk file. Other formats (eg TIF, BMP, PNG) are just
    differnent ways of recording the same picture information. A jpg is a
    'lossy' compressed format, bmp's on the other hand contain the information
    on each and every picture element in the photo in an uncompressed format,
    hence their huge file size.
    Saving a file in another format does not change the dpi.

    May I suggest you read the information at this site http://www.scantips.com/
    to get to grips with resolution/dpi/pixels and all the other terms to do
    with scanning and digital photo's.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 9, 2006
  6. >Andy

    Guest

    >Andy< wrote:
    > Our local paper says, "Please be sure electronic photos are scanned at
    > 200 dpi with a width of at least 3 inches."
    >
    > I use a sony camera and it saves in jpg format. I use Irfanview to
    > view them. Can i use Irfanview to convert the files to 200 dpi and if
    > so, how?

    http://www.somewhere-in-time.net/tutorial/irfanview/
    , Jul 9, 2006
  7. >Andy

    >Andy Guest

    Re: Irfanview and dpi - Thank you!

    My sincere thank you to all who have posted. You help is appreciated.