    does a real human actually have to go in and do it ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 6, 2008

  2. Robert11

    thanatoid Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote in
    news:gevba0$gtg$:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Took a look at my Firewall (XP) settings today, and was
    > surprised to find a whole bunch of things in the Exceptions
    > list that I never put there. These apparently are being
    > allowed to bypass the firewall.
    >
    > Lots of them were from downoading sites for videos, blogs,
    > etc.
    >
    > My son uses a slew of them, but I doubt he would have the
    > technical expertise to add them to the Firewall's Exception
    > list.
    >
    > Question: can any programs "automatically" add themselves
    > to the list, or does a real human actually have to go in
    > and do it ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    My experience with XP is limited to two weeks' non-internet
    experiment, but I have read a lot about the Windows "Firewall"
    and other MS "security" products included with XP and Vista.
    Many people consider XP itself spyware, and Vista "DMA enforcing
    spyware". So if you are talking about the Windows Firewall, stop
    using it and get a real one. Not Zone Alarm, either. Research.

    As to your question, malware can make such changes, and much
    more, if it gets into your system because you are using unsafe
    Microsoft software (like IE/OE apart from the already mentioned
    ones).

    The possibility of your son clicking "yes" in dialog boxes he
    does not understand or doesn't care about is not to be
    discounted, however.

    A /lot/ can happen online. Kids should have their own computers
    (and your computer should be passworded so no one can mess with
    it - yes, I know one can get around these things, but /most/
    people don't know how). Then, as an old boss of mine used to
    say, "the shit they are cooking they will have on their own
    plate" - not you on yours.

    --
    "May you live in interesting times."
    (curse, origin disputed)

    thanatoid, Nov 6, 2008

  3. Robert11 wrote:

    > Took a look at my Firewall (XP) settings today, and was surprised to
    > find a whole bunch of things in the Exceptions list that I never put
    > there. These apparently are being allowed to bypass the firewall.

    Windows Firewall:
    http://tekrider.net/usenet/withoutwalls.jpg

    > Lots of them were from downoading sites for videos, blogs, etc.
    > My son uses a slew of them, but I doubt he would have the technical
    > expertise to add them to the Firewall's Exception list.

    All it takes is a click on the "do you want to" box.

    > Question: can any programs "automatically" add themselves to the
    > list,

    Yes. Some/much malicious software can easily circumvent software
    firewalls. A firewall (even a hardware device) is only as safe as the
    knowledgeable person sitting at the keyboard.

    BTW, are you Steve Hirst of Bensalem, Pennsylvania, the owner of
    notme.com ?
    http://tekrider.net/general/misctips.php#mung

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 6, 2008
  4. Robert11

    freemont Guest

    On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:59:28 -0500, Robert11 writ:

    > Question: can any programs "automatically" add themselves to the list,
    > or does a real human actually have to go in and do it ?

    Yes, they sure can. Sometimes Windows Firewall pops up asking if you want
    to allow access for a new program, sometimes it doesn't. It's not very
    reliable that way.

    For example, install any popular antivirus that includes automatic
    updates, and you will probably never see any alert from Windows Firewall,
    and never be asked if you want the firewall to unblock it, but look in
    the exceptions list and there it'll be.

    --
    "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
    ¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

    freemont, Nov 6, 2008
  5. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    No, I'm not Steve ...

    Thanks for help.

    Bob
    -----------------

    Robert11, Nov 7, 2008
  6. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    No, I'm not Steve ...

    Thanks for help.

    Bob
    -----------------

    Robert11, Nov 7, 2008
  7. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hi,

    No, I'm not Steve ...

    Thanks for help.

    Bob
    -----------------

    Robert11, Nov 7, 2008
  8. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    From OP: Re Re: irewall Question

    Hi again,

    O.K., as you all say, some programs can "easily" circumvent the XP Firewall.

    But, would they actually add a line to the Exceptions List ?
    Wouldn't they just get in, and that's all; but to actually add an Exception
    entry: possible or likely ! ?

    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 7, 2008
  9. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    From OP: Re Re: irewall Question

    Robert11, Nov 7, 2008
  10. Robert11

    Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote:

    >Question: can any programs "automatically" add themselves to the list, or
    >does a real human actually have to go in and do it ?

    If you run I.E., ActiveX commands can do anything the web page want's
    to.

    If you run just have to run I.E. at least disable ActiveX.
    --

    Saddest picture you'll see all day
    http://i35.tinypic.com/15s57c4.jpg

    , Nov 7, 2008
  11. Re: From OP: Re Re: irewall Question

    Robert11 wrote:

    > Hi again,

    Hi. Please don't change the subject line. Some newsreaders will think it
    is a different thread.

    > O.K., as you all say, some programs can "easily" circumvent the XP
    > Firewall.
    >
    > But, would they actually add a line to the Exceptions List ? Wouldn't
    > they just get in, and that's all; but to actually add an Exception
    > entry: possible or likely ! ?

    As you suspect, most (any?) malware will not likely add something to an
    exceptions list; it has no need to do that as it has already
    circumvented the firewall. Malware that wishes to truly remain hidden
    wouldn't advertise itself like that.

    So as you guessed, the lines were most likely added by human
    intervention. That would be your son.

    P.S. I notice you still haven't fixed your munged domain name.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 7, 2008
  12. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Re: From OP: Re Re: irewall Question

    Hi,

    As always, thanks for all the help and interest. Appreciate it.

    "Exactly" what are the steps I should do to "fix" my Domain Name as you
    suggest ?
    In my 70's now, and not as sharp with this stuff anymore than I was at one
    time (perhaps).

    Running XP, and use Firefox.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    ---------------

    Robert11, Nov 7, 2008
  13. Re: From OP: Re Re: irewall Question

    Robert11 wrote:

    > "Exactly" what are the steps I should do to "fix" my Domain Name as
    > you suggest ?

    In Outlook Express: find where you entered the news account name of

    Change that to: lid

    and click Save or Apply.

    > In my 70's now, and not as sharp with this stuff anymore than I was at
    > one time (perhaps).

    70? So you're three years older than me? No excuse!

    Please do not top-post. (That means reply *below* the quoted material,
    after trimming parts you aren't going to reference.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 7, 2008
  14. Robert11 wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > No, I'm not Steve ...

    Now, did he give you the permission to (ab)use his domainname for posting to
    usenet and probably attracting spam to his site?

    wisdomkiller & pain, Nov 7, 2008
  15. Robert11

    Guest

    "Robert11" <> wrote:

    >Hi again,
    >
    >O.K., as you all say, some programs can "easily" circumvent the XP Firewall.
    >
    >But, would they actually add a line to the Exceptions List ?
    >Wouldn't they just get in, and that's all; but to actually add an Exception
    >entry: possible or likely ! ?

    "An ActiveX control can be an extremely insecure way to provide a
    feature. Because it is a Component Object Model (COM) object, it can
    do anything the user can do from that computer. It can read from and
    write to the registry, and it has access to the local file system.
    From the moment a user downloads an ActiveX control, the control may
    be vulnerable to attack because any Web application on the Internet
    can repurpose it, that is, use the control for its own ends whether
    sincere or malicious."

    This link is always changing, but the above can be found by digging
    around
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa752035.aspx

    --

    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/3006416363_95ef8de914_o.jpg