    She was very friendly, very helpful, and was able to explain what was
    going on. If anybody else is having trouble contacting IRD "in the
    flesh", I'd say give it a go.

    Max Q, Aug 28, 2006

  2. Max Q

    whome Guest

    "Max Q" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Last year, I filed online, and it was silky smooth, hasslefree and very
    > fast in terms of time between submitting and getting my refund. This
    > year, it took the full ten weeks and then some. Over the last two days,
    > I have spent two hours on hold at InfoExpress trying to get through to
    > an actual carbon-based lifeform to find out what's going on. In
    > desperation, I looked in the bklue pages, and rang the complaints
    > number, 0800 274138. A real live actual person answered immediately.
    > She was very friendly, very helpful, and was able to explain what was
    > going on. If anybody else is having trouble contacting IRD "in the
    > flesh", I'd say give it a go.

    I've generally found them to be completely objectionable. They cancelled my
    filing extension solely based on a mistake they had made. After phoning
    them, they admitted their mistake, but still would not reinstate my filing
    extension.

    Also, the IRD threatening attitude is over the top. An acquaintance who
    often employs temporary workers was threatened that if she did not collect
    fines payments from her temp workers then the IRD would initiate onerous tax
    audit proceedings against her. So, she was effectively forced into becoming
    a collections officer for the IRD with no return for her time (which was
    considerable).

    whome, Aug 29, 2006

  3. Max Q

    Allistar Guest

    whome wrote:

    > "Max Q" <> wrote in message
    >> Last year, I filed online, and it was silky smooth, hasslefree and very
    >> fast in terms of time between submitting and getting my refund. This
    >> year, it took the full ten weeks and then some. Over the last two days,
    >> I have spent two hours on hold at InfoExpress trying to get through to
    >> an actual carbon-based lifeform to find out what's going on. In
    >> desperation, I looked in the bklue pages, and rang the complaints
    >> number, 0800 274138. A real live actual person answered immediately.
    >> She was very friendly, very helpful, and was able to explain what was
    >> going on. If anybody else is having trouble contacting IRD "in the
    >> flesh", I'd say give it a go.
    >>

    > I've generally found them to be completely objectionable. They cancelled
    > my filing extension solely based on a mistake they had made. After phoning
    > them, they admitted their mistake, but still would not reinstate my filing
    > extension.
    >
    > Also, the IRD threatening attitude is over the top. An acquaintance who
    > often employs temporary workers was threatened that if she did not collect
    > fines payments from her temp workers then the IRD would initiate onerous
    > tax
    > audit proceedings against her. So, she was effectively forced into
    > becoming a collections officer for the IRD with no return for her time
    > (which was considerable).

    Sounds like blackmail to me - something they could surely be sued for?

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 29, 2006
  4. Max Q

    Justin Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > whome wrote:
    >
    >> "Max Q" <> wrote in message
    >>> Last year, I filed online, and it was silky smooth, hasslefree and very
    >>> fast in terms of time between submitting and getting my refund. This
    >>> year, it took the full ten weeks and then some. Over the last two days,
    >>> I have spent two hours on hold at InfoExpress trying to get through to
    >>> an actual carbon-based lifeform to find out what's going on. In
    >>> desperation, I looked in the bklue pages, and rang the complaints
    >>> number, 0800 274138. A real live actual person answered immediately.
    >>> She was very friendly, very helpful, and was able to explain what was
    >>> going on. If anybody else is having trouble contacting IRD "in the
    >>> flesh", I'd say give it a go.
    >>>

    >> I've generally found them to be completely objectionable. They cancelled
    >> my filing extension solely based on a mistake they had made. After phoning
    >> them, they admitted their mistake, but still would not reinstate my filing
    >> extension.
    >>
    >> Also, the IRD threatening attitude is over the top. An acquaintance who
    >> often employs temporary workers was threatened that if she did not collect
    >> fines payments from her temp workers then the IRD would initiate onerous
    >> tax
    >> audit proceedings against her. So, she was effectively forced into
    >> becoming a collections officer for the IRD with no return for her time
    >> (which was considerable).

    > Sounds like blackmail to me - something they could surely be sued for?
    >
    > Allistar.

    How about including an invoice for the time taken.

    If they refuse, take them to small claims.

    Justin, Aug 29, 2006
  5. Max Q

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:56:56 +1200, Justin
    <4free.co.nz> exclaimed:

    >Allistar wrote:
    >> whome wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Max Q" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> I've generally found them to be completely objectionable. They cancelled
    >>> my filing extension solely based on a mistake they had made. After phoning
    >>> them, they admitted their mistake, but still would not reinstate my filing
    >>> extension.
    >>>
    >>> Also, the IRD threatening attitude is over the top. An acquaintance who
    >>> often employs temporary workers was threatened that if she did not collect
    >>> fines payments from her temp workers then the IRD would initiate onerous
    >>> tax
    >>> audit proceedings against her. So, she was effectively forced into
    >>> becoming a collections officer for the IRD with no return for her time
    >>> (which was considerable).

    >> Sounds like blackmail to me - something they could surely be sued for?
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    >How about including an invoice for the time taken.
    >
    >If they refuse, take them to small claims.

    Good one.

    Loser.

    Fred Dagg, Aug 29, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:56:56 +1200, Justin
    > <4free.co.nz> exclaimed:
    >
    > >Allistar wrote:

    > >> Sounds like blackmail to me - something they could surely be sued for?
    > >>
    > >> Allistar.

    > >How about including an invoice for the time taken.
    > >
    > >If they refuse, take them to small claims.

    > Good one.
    >
    > Loser.

    The IRD have nearly unlimited powers to compel you to do anything they
    want. Eg, if you are a witness to murder or rape the police cannot force
    you to answer their questions. If you refuse to answer a question from
    the IRD on a 10c discrepancy in someone's account you can be fined or
    worse.

    Trying to best the IRD is like arguing with the laws of thermodynamics.
    Ie
    1) You cannot win.
    2) You cannot break even.
    3) You cannot leave the game.

    Peter McCallum, Aug 29, 2006
  7. Max Q

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > whome wrote:
    >

    >> "Max Q" <> wrote in message
    >>> Last year, I filed online, and it was silky smooth, hasslefree and very
    >>> fast in terms of time between submitting and getting my refund. This
    >>> year, it took the full ten weeks and then some. Over the last two days,
    >>> I have spent two hours on hold at InfoExpress trying to get through to
    >>> an actual carbon-based lifeform to find out what's going on. In
    >>> desperation, I looked in the bklue pages, and rang the complaints
    >>> number, 0800 274138. A real live actual person answered immediately.
    >>> She was very friendly, very helpful, and was able to explain what was
    >>> going on. If anybody else is having trouble contacting IRD "in the
    >>> flesh", I'd say give it a go.
    >>>

    >> I've generally found them to be completely objectionable. They cancelled
    >> my filing extension solely based on a mistake they had made. After
    >> phoning
    >> them, they admitted their mistake, but still would not reinstate my
    >> filing
    >> extension.
    >>
    >> Also, the IRD threatening attitude is over the top. An acquaintance who
    >> often employs temporary workers was threatened that if she did not
    >> collect
    >> fines payments from her temp workers then the IRD would initiate onerous
    >> tax
    >> audit proceedings against her. So, she was effectively forced into
    >> becoming a collections officer for the IRD with no return for her time
    >> (which was considerable).

    > Sounds like blackmail to me - something they could surely be sued for?

    Cool, did she get that in writing? Post it on the net mate. :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Aug 29, 2006
  8. Max Q

    Max Q Guest

    wrote:
    > Max Q wrote:
    > > Last year, I filed online, and it was silky smooth, hasslefree and very
    > > fast in terms of time between submitting and getting my refund. This
    > > year, it took the full ten weeks and then some. Over the last two days,

    > Did they say what the problem was? I'm still waiting on two returns
    > sent end of june. Even the nil return I sent for a club took nearly a
    > month come back, for a return full of zeros. Was thinking of ringing
    > them but if it's just because they are being really slow this year
    > because of the extra family assistance workload or something I'll just
    > be patient for another month.

    Her response was highly technical. Apparently there was a problem
    particularly with many returns filed online. They, and I quote, "got
    stuck in the system", so "we had to pull them out and re-enter them".

    Max Q, Aug 29, 2006
  9. Max Q

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:50:35 +1200, Peter McCallum
    <pmccall"no-spam"@es.co.nz> exclaimed:

    >> >How about including an invoice for the time taken.
    >> >
    >> >If they refuse, take them to small claims.

    >> Good one.
    >>
    >> Loser.
    >>

    >The IRD have nearly unlimited powers to compel you to do anything they
    >want. Eg, if you are a witness to murder or rape the police cannot force
    >you to answer their questions. If you refuse to answer a question from
    >the IRD on a 10c discrepancy in someone's account you can be fined or
    >worse.
    >
    >Trying to best the IRD is like arguing with the laws of thermodynamics.
    >Ie
    >1) You cannot win.
    >2) You cannot break even.
    >3) You cannot leave the game.

    Exactly. The last thing you want to do is become a pain in their
    collective arse. If you tried the "small claims" (actually Disputes
    Tribunal, but however), you could guarantee yourself a lifetime of
    grief.

    Fred Dagg, Aug 29, 2006
  10. Max Q

    whome Guest

    "Kent Smith" <> wrote in message

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> whome wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Max Q" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> I've generally found them to be completely objectionable. They
    >>> cancelled
    >>> my filing extension solely based on a mistake they had made. After
    >>> phoning
    >>> them, they admitted their mistake, but still would not reinstate my
    >>> filing
    >>> extension.
    >>>
    >>> Also, the IRD threatening attitude is over the top. An acquaintance who
    >>> often employs temporary workers was threatened that if she did not
    >>> collect
    >>> fines payments from her temp workers then the IRD would initiate onerous
    >>> tax
    >>> audit proceedings against her. So, she was effectively forced into
    >>> becoming a collections officer for the IRD with no return for her time
    >>> (which was considerable).

    >> Sounds like blackmail to me - something they could surely be sued for?
    >>

    > Cool, did she get that in writing? Post it on the net mate. :)
    >

    > -KENT

    Well, it was a threatening phone call. And, there are a few organisations
    you don't piss off in this country and one is the IRD. They can bankrupt
    you very quickly even if you have done nothing wrong.

    whome, Aug 29, 2006
  11. Max Q

    peterwn Guest

    Allistar wrote:

    > > Also, the IRD threatening attitude is over the top. An acquaintance who
    > > often employs temporary workers was threatened that if she did not collect
    > > fines payments from her temp workers then the IRD would initiate onerous
    > > tax
    > > audit proceedings against her. So, she was effectively forced into
    > > becoming a collections officer for the IRD with no return for her time
    > > (which was considerable).

    > Sounds like blackmail to me - something they could surely be sued for?

    If any threats of this nature are made, write to the Minister of
    Revenue with as much detail as possible.

    While the Minister does not get embroiled in day to day operations of
    the department, this sort of threat falls outside day to day
    operations.

    It would seem in this case a staff member has gone over the top by
    making such a threat.

    The staff member should have pointed out the consequences under the
    rule of law for failing to deduct such monies.

    However the OP must deduct the fines and turn them over to Collections
    / IRD as required when called upon to do so - that is the law - if
    Whome does not like it, then he or she should complain to his/her local
    Member of Parliament. Whome may well risk having to cough up the fines
    that should have been deducted in the irst place. At this stage Whome
    should immediately start deducting the fines and apologise profusely
    for the fines not previously deducted - this would seem to be the best
    damage control.

    peterwn, Aug 29, 2006
  12. On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:22:48 +1200, whome <> wrote in

    > "Kent Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sounds like blackmail to me - something they could surely be sued for?
    >>>

    >> Cool, did she get that in writing? Post it on the net mate. :)
    >>

    >> -KENT
    >>

    > Well, it was a threatening phone call. And, there are a few organisations
    > you don't piss off in this country and one is the IRD. They can bankrupt
    > you very quickly even if you have done nothing wrong.

    Seems they did a pretty good job on Bruce Simpson(?) - even if it may
    have been on orders from higher up (SIS/CIA/???)

    --
    Nicolaas

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 29, 2006
  13. Max Q

    whome Guest

    "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    > Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> > Also, the IRD threatening attitude is over the top. An acquaintance
    >> > who
    >> > often employs temporary workers was threatened that if she did not
    >> > collect
    >> > fines payments from her temp workers then the IRD would initiate
    >> > onerous
    >> > tax
    >> > audit proceedings against her. So, she was effectively forced into
    >> > becoming a collections officer for the IRD with no return for her time
    >> > (which was considerable).

    >> Sounds like blackmail to me - something they could surely be sued for?
    >>

    > If any threats of this nature are made, write to the Minister of
    > Revenue with as much detail as possible.
    >
    > While the Minister does not get embroiled in day to day operations of
    > the department, this sort of threat falls outside day to day
    > operations.
    >
    > It would seem in this case a staff member has gone over the top by
    > making such a threat.
    >
    > The staff member should have pointed out the consequences under the
    > rule of law for failing to deduct such monies.
    >
    > However the OP must deduct the fines and turn them over to Collections
    > / IRD as required when called upon to do so - that is the law - if
    > Whome does not like it, then he or she should complain to his/her local
    > Member of Parliament. Whome may well risk having to cough up the fines
    > that should have been deducted in the irst place. At this stage Whome
    > should immediately start deducting the fines and apologise profusely
    > for the fines not previously deducted - this would seem to be the best
    > damage control.

    For a start, this is not me, rather a person I know and they were saying
    that the IRD made this threat. I had no reason to disbelieve them.

    Everything was verbal so it would be a case of he said she said. Making
    complaints is a waste of time.

    whome, Aug 29, 2006
  14. Max Q

    peterwn Guest

    whome wrote:

    > For a start, this is not me, rather a person I know and they were saying
    > that the IRD made this threat. I had no reason to disbelieve them.

    Agreed

    > Everything was verbal so it would be a case of he said she said. Making
    > complaints is a waste of time.

    A complaint is worthwhile because:
    1. Call centre conversations are often recorded .

    2. Even if Management cannot 'pin' a staff member with regard to a
    specific complaint, if a staff member is frequently making
    inappropriate comments, it would help to create a pattern of complaints
    which gives management something to work on.

    3. Even if (say) the team leader or manager concerned is condoning
    such behaviour, making complaints will help stop this sort of thing,
    even though a specific complaint may be futile.

    peterwn, Aug 30, 2006
  15. Max Q

    SchoolTech Guest

    Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:22:48 +1200, whome <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Kent Smith" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Allistar" <> wrote in message

    >>> Cool, did she get that in writing? Post it on the net mate. :)
    >>>

    >>> -KENT
    >>>

    >> Well, it was a threatening phone call. And, there are a few organisations
    >> you don't piss off in this country and one is the IRD. They can bankrupt
    >> you very quickly even if you have done nothing wrong.

    > Seems they did a pretty good job on Bruce Simpson(?) - even if it may
    > have been on orders from higher up (SIS/CIA/???)

    What a load of rubbish. You believe dumb conspirary theory nonsense?

    SchoolTech, Aug 30, 2006
  16. On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:33:43 +1200, SchoolTech
    <> wrote in

    > Nicolaas Hawkins wrote:
    >> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:22:48 +1200, whome <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Well, it was a threatening phone call. And, there are a few organisations
    >>> you don't piss off in this country and one is the IRD. They can bankrupt
    >>> you very quickly even if you have done nothing wrong.

    >> Seems they did a pretty good job on Bruce Simpson(?) - even if it may
    >> have been on orders from higher up (SIS/CIA/???)
    >>

    > What a load of rubbish. You believe dumb conspirary theory nonsense?

    Nonsense, perhaps, inasmuch as it remains unproven so far, but conspiracy
    theory be buggered! What I said was my own opinion born of nothing more
    than considering the possibilities and drawing strictly my own conclusions
    as to the most likely explanation. (I perform these amazing feats of
    derring-do from time to time. :) )

    Are you here stating categorically that Inland Revenue did NOT bankrupt
    Bruce Simpson?

    --
    Nicolaas

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 30, 2006
  17. In article <>, "whome" <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >For a start, this is not me, rather a person I know and they were saying
    >that the IRD made this threat. I had no reason to disbelieve them.
    >
    >Everything was verbal so it would be a case of he said she said. Making
    >complaints is a waste of time.

    Get everything from IRD written. Don't phone them, send them a letter or
    fax (and ask for the reply by mail or fax). When they ring you, point out
    that you have asked for a written reply. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 30, 2006
  18. Max Q

    Vista Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in message

    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sounds like blackmail to me - something they could surely be sued for?
    >>>

    >> If any threats of this nature are made, write to the Minister of
    >> Revenue with as much detail as possible.
    >>
    >> While the Minister does not get embroiled in day to day operations of
    >> the department, this sort of threat falls outside day to day
    >> operations.
    >>
    >> It would seem in this case a staff member has gone over the top by
    >> making such a threat.
    >>
    >> The staff member should have pointed out the consequences under the
    >> rule of law for failing to deduct such monies.
    >>
    >> However the OP must deduct the fines and turn them over to Collections
    >> / IRD as required when called upon to do so - that is the law - if
    >> Whome does not like it, then he or she should complain to his/her local
    >> Member of Parliament. Whome may well risk having to cough up the fines
    >> that should have been deducted in the irst place. At this stage Whome
    >> should immediately start deducting the fines and apologise profusely
    >> for the fines not previously deducted - this would seem to be the best
    >> damage control.
    >>

    > For a start, this is not me, rather a person I know and they were saying
    > that the IRD made this threat. I had no reason to disbelieve them.
    >
    > Everything was verbal so it would be a case of he said she said. Making
    > complaints is a waste of time.

    I thought they recorded all phone conversations. Always get the full name of
    the person your speak to and keep a written record af everything that was
    discussed in the telephone call. Also try to get everything in writing. I
    believe they have a secure email service so that could be a good wayto
    communicate.

    Vista, Aug 30, 2006
  19. Max Q

    a_l_p Guest

    Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    > In article <>, "whome" <> wrote:
    > (snip)
    >
    >>For a start, this is not me, rather a person I know and they were saying
    >>that the IRD made this threat. I had no reason to disbelieve them.
    >>
    >>Everything was verbal so it would be a case of he said she said. Making
    >>complaints is a waste of time.

    > Get everything from IRD written. Don't phone them, send them a letter or
    > fax (and ask for the reply by mail or fax). When they ring you, point out
    > that you have asked for a written reply. :)

    This is the Number One B*E*S*T advice for dealing with problematic departments
    or any outfit where it's a case of your word against theirs, and you are just
    one little individual with no witnesses but they are a powerful organization who
    can back one another up.

    A L P

    a_l_p, Aug 30, 2006
  20. whome wrote:
    > "peterwn" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sounds like blackmail to me - something they could surely be sued for?
    >>>

    >> If any threats of this nature are made, write to the Minister of
    >> Revenue with as much detail as possible.
    >>
    >> While the Minister does not get embroiled in day to day operations of
    >> the department, this sort of threat falls outside day to day
    >> operations.
    >>
    >> It would seem in this case a staff member has gone over the top by
    >> making such a threat.
    >>
    >> The staff member should have pointed out the consequences under the
    >> rule of law for failing to deduct such monies.
    >>
    >> However the OP must deduct the fines and turn them over to Collections
    >> / IRD as required when called upon to do so - that is the law - if
    >> Whome does not like it, then he or she should complain to his/her local
    >> Member of Parliament. Whome may well risk having to cough up the fines
    >> that should have been deducted in the irst place. At this stage Whome
    >> should immediately start deducting the fines and apologise profusely
    >> for the fines not previously deducted - this would seem to be the best
    >> damage control.
    >>

    > For a start, this is not me, rather a person I know and they were saying
    > that the IRD made this threat. I had no reason to disbelieve them.
    >
    > Everything was verbal so it would be a case of he said she said. Making
    > complaints is a waste of time.

    Then there was their old trick:

    Levy a debt against someone of say (in my case) $5,000 (others have faced
    hundreds of thousands).

    Demand immediate payment of at least half the debt in dispute.

    Refuse to deal with the matter through written correspondence. reply to every
    letter with a letter saying "we are too busy to read your letter at the moment,
    ring us up" (yeah, right).

    Keep on racking up penalties and interest threats of imminent legal action and
    seizure of assets until the victim is paralysed by fear.

    Continue even after a Judicial Enquiry has found the practice illegal.

    Never reply to any correspondence.

    Never acknowledge fault.

    Never apologise.

    Never compensate.