IRB and channel groups help needed

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by pfisterfarm, Jan 7, 2010.

  1. pfisterfarm

    pfisterfarm Guest

    I've got a 8540 switch running 12.1(20)E set up with IRB and I've got
    two interfaces I'm looking at:

    interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3
    no ip address
    no ip redirects
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3.1
    description Native VLAN
    encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
    no ip redirects
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3.99
    encapsulation dot1Q 99
    no ip redirects
    no cdp enable
    bridge-group 99

    The other interface is Gigabit0/0/4 and is set up the exact same way.
    I'd like to be able to set up a channel group for those two
    interfaces. I set up the port channel like:

    interface Port-channel1
    no ip address
    hold-queue 300 in
    !
    interface Port-channel1.1
    encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
    no ip redirects
    !
    interface Port-channel1.99
    encapsulation dot1Q 99
    no ip redirects
    bridge-group 99

    But if I apply it to one of the interfaces, I get an error: "Error:
    Interface has sub-interface configured". I can take the subinterfaces
    off temporarily and set up the channel-group, but it I try and re-add
    the subinterfaces, I can't do that. Is this something that is
    possible? If so, what am I missing?

    pfisterfarm, Jan 7, 2010

  2. pfisterfarm

    bod43 Guest

    On 7 Jan, 17:13, pfisterfarm <> wrote:
    > I've got a 8540 switch running 12.1(20)E set up with IRB and I've got
    > two interfaces I'm looking at:
    >
    > interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3
    >  no ip address
    >  no ip redirects
    > !
    > interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3.1
    >  description Native VLAN
    >  encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
    >  no ip redirects
    > !
    > interface GigabitEthernet0/0/3.99
    >  encapsulation dot1Q 99
    >  no ip redirects
    >  no cdp enable
    >  bridge-group 99
    >
    > The other interface is Gigabit0/0/4 and is set up the exact same way.
    > I'd like to be able to set up a channel group for those two
    > interfaces. I set up the port channel like:
    >
    > interface Port-channel1
    >  no ip address
    >  hold-queue 300 in
    > !
    > interface Port-channel1.1
    >  encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
    >  no ip redirects
    > !
    > interface Port-channel1.99
    >  encapsulation dot1Q 99
    >  no ip redirects
    >  bridge-group 99
    >
    > But if I apply it to one of the interfaces, I get an error: "Error:
    > Interface has sub-interface configured". I can take the subinterfaces
    > off temporarily and set up the channel-group, but it I try and re-add
    > the subinterfaces, I can't do that. Is this something that is
    > possible? If so, what am I missing?

    I would have thought that you configured the sub-interfaces on the
    port channel only. Not the physical interfaces.

    By the way as I am sure you
    know there are two very distinct 8500 models, one
    very ATM-y and one Ethernet-y and you need to be
    careful which documentation you look at. CSR? Was
    decades ago:)

    Have a look at this.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...s_configuration_example09186a00800ef797.shtml
    "Configuring EtherChannel and 802.1Q Trunking Between
    Catalyst L2 Fixed Configuration Switches and a
    Router (InterVLAN Routing)"

    Hope it might help.

    bod43, Jan 7, 2010