    Has anyone tried or done any IR work with a digital SLR? I use the Nikon D70
    and any info would be apprecited in regards to types of filters etc.
    Thx

    Petr V., Aug 3, 2004

  2. "Petr V." <> writes:

    > Has anyone tried or done any IR work with a digital SLR? I use the Nikon D70
    > and any info would be apprecited in regards to types of filters etc.

    Fuji S2 works okay with a Hoya 72R (cheapest IR filter I know of,
    works pretty well). The sensitivity is rather low, a tripod is a good
    idea. That detail will vary a *lot* from camera to camera.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 3, 2004

  3. Petr V.

    Steven Wandy Guest

    I wanted to try IR (Oly E-1) until I saw the price of good IR filters. You
    can find some Photoshop actions that will "imitate" IR. Not sure how
    accurate the look is but it was cheaper to play around with the effect.

    Steven Wandy, Aug 3, 2004
  4. David Dyer-Bennet <> writes:
    > Fuji S2 works okay with a Hoya 72R (cheapest IR filter I know of,
    > works pretty well). The sensitivity is rather low, a tripod is a
    > good idea. That detail will vary a *lot* from camera to camera.

    David, can you give me the EV (or just the aperture, shutter speed
    and ISO, if EV means nothing to you) for a "typical" IR shot with
    lots of foliage taken under "sunny 16" type conditons?

    I am building a data base of the IR sensitivity of various digitals
    (plan to publish it on the web) - and need input for different
    cameras.

    (I would of course like to have this data for other camera models
    as well).

    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 3, 2004
  5. Gisle Hannemyr <> writes:

    > David Dyer-Bennet <> writes:
    >> Fuji S2 works okay with a Hoya 72R (cheapest IR filter I know of,
    >> works pretty well). The sensitivity is rather low, a tripod is a
    >> good idea. That detail will vary a *lot* from camera to camera.

    > David, can you give me the EV (or just the aperture, shutter speed
    > and ISO, if EV means nothing to you) for a "typical" IR shot with
    > lots of foliage taken under "sunny 16" type conditons?
    >
    > I am building a data base of the IR sensitivity of various digitals
    > (plan to publish it on the web) - and need input for different
    > cameras.
    >
    > (I would of course like to have this data for other camera models
    > as well).

    I can give you some data from EXIF files for specific shots taken in
    pretty much full sun. For two different cameras. Both sets were
    taken using a Hoya R72 filter.

    Epson 850Z:

    <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/perl/picpage/gallery/Digital%20Infrared%20October%202001?id=Ep850-20011002-036>
    was exposed at ISO 100, 1/60 sec, f2.8

    <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/perl/picpage/gallery/Digital%20Infrared%20October%202001?id=Ep850-20011005-043>
    was exposed at ISO 100, 1/75 sec, f2.8

    Fuji S2:

    <http://www.dd-b.net/perl/picpage.pl/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/2003/08260-Weird%20Tech?id=ddb%2020030826%20010-020>
    was exposed at ISO 200, 1 second, at f.... Oh drat. All the infrareds
    with the S2 were taken with old AIS lenses that don't report their
    apertures to the camera, so I don't know the aperture. Probably f5.6
    or f8 if I remember my thinking (since I had to go to a tripod anyway,
    and had to make infrared focus correction manually, better to go for
    some depth of field).

    A couple of other examples not on display on the web were shot at ISO
    400, 1/30 sec, probably the same f5.6 aperture but that's a guess/old
    memory. I think it was a considerably brighter day.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 4, 2004
  6. Petr V.

    Petr Guest

    These were done using the Chroma IR Film plugin for photoshop CS> Lots of
    variability and optins. If anyone wants the filter, let me know

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/pvodka/gdddfg.jpg

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/pvodka/IR.jpg

    Petr, Aug 4, 2004
  7. Petr V.

    Petr Guest

    Sorry bout the crappy res, I had to drop it to be able to post it

    Petr, Aug 4, 2004
  8. David Dyer-Bennet <> writes:
    > Gisle Hannemyr <> writes:

    >> David, can you give me the EV (or just the aperture, shutter speed
    >> and ISO, if EV means nothing to you) for a "typical" IR shot with
    >> lots of foliage taken under "sunny 16" type conditons?
    >> I am building a data base of the IR sensitivity of various digitals
    >> (plan to publish it on the web) - and need input for different
    >> cameras.

    > I can give you some data from EXIF files for specific shots taken in
    > pretty much full sun. For two different cameras. Both sets were
    > taken using a Hoya R72 filter.

    Thanks!

    I got aforementioned webpage up now - with the data from your Epson on it.
    Please take look at:

    http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/ir.html

    Not much data/many cameras yet - but with help of the good people
    of this newsgroup, I'm sure that will change.

    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 4, 2004
  9. Petr V.

    Crownfield Guest

    Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

    > David Dyer-Bennet <> writes:
    > > Gisle Hannemyr <> writes:

    > >> David, can you give me the EV (or just the aperture, shutter speed
    > >> and ISO, if EV means nothing to you) for a "typical" IR shot with
    > >> lots of foliage taken under "sunny 16" type conditons?
    > >> I am building a data base of the IR sensitivity of various digitals
    > >> (plan to publish it on the web) - and need input for different
    > >> cameras.

    > > I can give you some data from EXIF files for specific shots taken in
    > > pretty much full sun. For two different cameras. Both sets were
    > > taken using a Hoya R72 filter.

    > Thanks!
    >
    > I got aforementioned webpage up now - with the data from your Epson on it.
    > Please take look at:
    >
    > http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/ir.html
    >
    > Not much data/many cameras yet - but with help of the good people
    > of this newsgroup, I'm sure that will change.

    Gisle:

    specific for the S2 Pro,
    if you do not cover the viewfinder eyepiece,
    the light leaking through will underexpose the ir.

    cover the eyepiece.

    Crownfield, Aug 4, 2004
  10. Gisle Hannemyr <> writes:

    > David Dyer-Bennet <> writes:
    >> Gisle Hannemyr <> writes:

    >>> David, can you give me the EV (or just the aperture, shutter speed
    >>> and ISO, if EV means nothing to you) for a "typical" IR shot with
    >>> lots of foliage taken under "sunny 16" type conditons?
    >>> I am building a data base of the IR sensitivity of various digitals
    >>> (plan to publish it on the web) - and need input for different
    >>> cameras.

    >> I can give you some data from EXIF files for specific shots taken in
    >> pretty much full sun. For two different cameras. Both sets were
    >> taken using a Hoya R72 filter.

    > Thanks!
    >
    > I got aforementioned webpage up now - with the data from your Epson on it.
    > Please take look at:
    >
    > http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/ir.html
    >
    > Not much data/many cameras yet - but with help of the good people
    > of this newsgroup, I'm sure that will change.

    I took the S2 out and shot some more dull pictures of my house -- but
    this time I recorded the aperture, so I can give you proper exposure
    data. (I *do* know what EV is, but I don't think in terms of it and
    don't have the conversion info in my head, so I'm just going to give
    you the actual settings.)

    Fuji S2, Hoya R72 filter, ISO 200, 1/4 second, f5.6. Photo is at
    <http://www.dd-b.net/perl/picpage/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/2004/00000-Misc?id=ddb%2020040804%20010-007>.

    Midafternoon, partly cloudy, and as you can see the house, trees, and
    some of the lawn were in direct sunlight.

    I played with covering and not covering the eyepiece, and couldn't see
    any difference.

    I find I get considerably different histograms in the R, G, and B
    channels. I exposed this to optimize the red channel, and made the
    B&W conversion from just the red channel. I suspect that shooting in
    B&W mode on the camera makes for much *less* good results because it
    combines the three channels with different renderings.

    I am reminded again how much easier infrared is on a consumer digital
    camera -- where I have auto-focus, auto-exposure, and live preview on
    the LCD. The viewfinder is pretty much blacked out with the R72 on
    the lens.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 4, 2004
  11. Petr V.

    Count

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Hey Petr ! I want it !

    Hey man. How is it going? Ok, I've seen your photos using the IR film in photoshop. Its great man ! Anyway I've been trying to download it myself from Chromasoftware's website but I can't.

    So, here I am. Could u help me to get it?8)

    Count, Jan 22, 2008
  12. Petr V.

    Count

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Hi Petr ! How about u send me the IR filter.

    Hey man,

    I saw some of the photos that was created using IR Film(Chroma). Its fantastic man ! Its like u can create ur own IR & Xray studio. Just by using photoshop and plug-ins like Chroma IR Film.

    So, i really hope that u could help me to get it. I want the IR Film bro. Thanks. 8) 8)

    Count, Jan 23, 2008