IR Converted EPL1 (photos)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by swandy, Aug 30, 2010.

  1. swandy

    swandy Guest

    swandy, Aug 30, 2010

  2. swandy

    swandy Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:12:42 -0500, C. Werner <>
    wrote:

    >I feel that only one or two of your images work with the pseudo-color tints
    >included.
    >
    ><http://www.pbase.com/swandy/image/127804621>
    ><http://www.pbase.com/swandy/image/127890759>
    >
    >And should be toned-down a bit.

    Well we each have our own opinions and I am sorry that you only felt
    one or two worked as IR. But with regards to the "toned-down", I
    always felt that IR (if not in B&W) that the colors don't look natural
    anyways.

    >Otherwise their posterized or splotchy and uneven distribution really
    >detracts from the subjects, as-in, something went wrong.

    Don't have a clue to what you are refering to here. Can you be more
    specific because I dont see that "something went wrong".

    Steve

    swandy, Aug 30, 2010

  3. swandy

    swandy Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 00:05:27 +0200, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >Very nice, I liked the images. I disagree with C.Werner's comments - in
    >my opinion as a photographer it's your choice how you want your images
    >to look like.

    Thanks Alfred and yes I agree that while everyone might not like what
    others do, it is up to the photographer how he wanted his image to
    look. (Unless there is something techinically wrong, but that is
    another discussion.)
    Steve

    swandy, Aug 30, 2010
  4. swandy

    Peter Guest

    "swandy" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:12:42 -0500, C. Werner <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I feel that only one or two of your images work with the pseudo-color
    >>tints
    >>included.
    >>
    >><http://www.pbase.com/swandy/image/127804621>
    >><http://www.pbase.com/swandy/image/127890759>
    >>
    >>And should be toned-down a bit.

    > Well we each have our own opinions and I am sorry that you only felt
    > one or two worked as IR. But with regards to the "toned-down", I
    > always felt that IR (if not in B&W) that the colors don't look natural
    > anyways.

    I don't think IR is supposed to look natural. When done right. it brings out
    a nice abstract quality in the images.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 31, 2010
  5. In article <>,
    swandy <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 00:05:27 +0200, Alfred Molon
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Very nice, I liked the images. I disagree with C.Werner's comments - in
    > >my opinion as a photographer it's your choice how you want your images
    > >to look like.

    > Thanks Alfred and yes I agree that while everyone might not like what
    > others do, it is up to the photographer how he wanted his image to
    > look. (Unless there is something techinically wrong, but that is
    > another discussion.)

    Steve-

    I liked the Bridge.

    I don't think I could visualize how the infrared image will appear. I
    would consider Werner's suggestion about making photos that are
    fundamentally interesting, so it won't matter if the IR is a bit
    splotchy!

    I notice that green vegetation (chlorophyl) seems to reflect the most
    IR. I'm reminded of a lecture by a researcher who found that solar
    water heating pipes were more efficient if painted a certain shade of
    green. It seems that he received so much harassment about not painting
    them black, that he gave up. He painted them black and stopped making
    the ridiculous claims about green!

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Aug 31, 2010
  6. swandy

    Rich Guest

    On Aug 30, 3:12 pm, swandy <> wrote:
    > http://www.pbase.com/swandy/infrared_photography
    >
    > Recently had and Olympus EPL1 Pen camera converted for infrared
    > photography. (720 nm filter)
    > So far very happy with the results.
    > Comments welcome,
    > Steve

    The best way to do the fake colour thing is to leave the IR filter off
    the sensor and use it on the lens when you want the pure black and
    white IR images. When you shoot without it with the sensor's own IR
    filter removed, folliage turns purple but most other colours stay
    true, with some exceptions.

    http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/101581608/original

    Rich, Aug 31, 2010
  7. swandy

    swandy Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:25:43 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    wrote:

    >The best way to do the fake colour thing is to leave the IR filter off
    >the sensor and use it on the lens when you want the pure black and
    >white IR images. When you shoot without it with the sensor's own IR
    >filter removed, folliage turns purple but most other colours stay
    >true, with some exceptions.
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/101581608/original

    That is a lovely picture, but if it was not titled as IR Sunset,
    perhaps I would have just thought it was normal light for a sunset in
    the area it was taken.
    For me (personally) I prefer the faux colors you get when do do a
    channel swap on an IR image. Though I have seen some beautiful work
    where the folliage is a yellow/gold tint. (Forget what type of filter
    was used.)

    swandy, Aug 31, 2010
  8. swandy

    swandy Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:47:44 -0400, Fred McKenzie <>
    wrote:

    >Steve-
    >
    >I liked the Bridge.

    Thanks.

    >I don't think I could visualize how the infrared image will appear. I
    >would consider Werner's suggestion about making photos that are
    >fundamentally interesting, so it won't matter if the IR is a bit
    >splotchy!

    When I shoot I have the camera set for Monochrome, so the view in
    either the LCD or the EVF is a "normal" B&W IR image, so it is easier
    to visualize the shot. It is afterwards, that I decide which shots
    might look more interesting if converted to the faux color.
    (And I still don't understand what he meant by "splotchy".)

    swandy, Aug 31, 2010
  9. swandy

    Peter Guest

    "swandy" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:47:44 -0400, Fred McKenzie <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Steve-
    >>
    >>I liked the Bridge.

    > Thanks.
    >>
    >>I don't think I could visualize how the infrared image will appear. I
    >>would consider Werner's suggestion about making photos that are
    >>fundamentally interesting, so it won't matter if the IR is a bit
    >>splotchy!

    > When I shoot I have the camera set for Monochrome, so the view in
    > either the LCD or the EVF is a "normal" B&W IR image, so it is easier
    > to visualize the shot. It is afterwards, that I decide which shots
    > might look more interesting if converted to the faux color.
    > (And I still don't understand what he meant by "splotchy".)

    I too use a converted digital. I never use it in monochrome mode as I
    usually frame my shot through the viewfinder. I am more concerned about
    composition than color. The image in my LCD will appear as you suggest in BW
    mode, but I prefer to tweak the appearance in PS.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 31, 2010
  10. swandy

    Peter Guest

    "Paul Furman" <> wrote in message
    > C. Werner wrote:
    >> swandy wrote:
    >>
    >>> (And I still don't understand what he meant by "splotchy".)

    >> The same problem occurring in this one
    >> <http://www.pbase.com/swandy/image/127965457> , easily seen in the water
    >> as
    >> well as in the foliage. Like someone had taken a transparent cyan-blue
    >> brush in their editor and not-too-carefully swiped it over areas they
    >> wanted to be garishly cyan-blue.

    > This one looks magenta in the center, especially the water. Could that be
    > what they refer to has a 'hot spot' which some lenses show for IR?

    IR images generally have a magenta cast. A digital image is more sensitive
    to natural color variations that might not be noticed in a conventional
    image. I have heard, though not observed, of situations where certain
    clothing has become transparent to IR.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 31, 2010
  11. swandy

    Peter Guest

    "swandy" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 18:25:43 -0700 (PDT), Rich <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>The best way to do the fake colour thing is to leave the IR filter off
    >>the sensor and use it on the lens when you want the pure black and
    >>white IR images. When you shoot without it with the sensor's own IR
    >>filter removed, folliage turns purple but most other colours stay
    >>true, with some exceptions.
    >>
    >>http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/101581608/original

    > That is a lovely picture, but if it was not titled as IR Sunset,
    > perhaps I would have just thought it was normal light for a sunset in
    > the area it was taken.
    > For me (personally) I prefer the faux colors you get when do do a
    > channel swap on an IR image. Though I have seen some beautiful work
    > where the folliage is a yellow/gold tint. (Forget what type of filter
    > was used.)

    You, as the artist, should feel free to make any image you like. Unless you
    are on a commission, the only person you have to please is yourself. the
    thing I like about digital IR is that it can be used without any filter.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 31, 2010
  12. swandy

    M-M Guest

    I have been doing a lot of IR work myself. I tried the false color but I
    always come back to grayscale. False color looks to me unreal. Grayscale
    looks surreal.

    IR gives a look that is quite remarkable in it's own right. It is not
    always obvious why the photo takes on that mysterious feel, but the end
    result is the observer is drawn to it.

    Here are some examples:

    http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/P1010042w.jpg

    http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/frir/gordes/P8070187w.jpg

    http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/frir/provence/P8070203w.jpg

    If you're interested, there are links to some more of my IR's here:

    http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/gsir.html

    --
    m-m
    http://www.mhmyers.com

    M-M, Aug 31, 2010
  13. swandy

    Peter Guest

    "M-M" <> wrote in message
    >I have been doing a lot of IR work myself. I tried the false color but I
    > always come back to grayscale. False color looks to me unreal. Grayscale
    > looks surreal.
    >
    > IR gives a look that is quite remarkable in it's own right. It is not
    > always obvious why the photo takes on that mysterious feel, but the end
    > result is the observer is drawn to it.
    >
    > Here are some examples:
    >
    > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/P1010042w.jpg
    >
    > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/frir/gordes/P8070187w.jpg
    >
    > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/frir/provence/P8070203w.jpg
    >
    > If you're interested, there are links to some more of my IR's here:
    >
    > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/gsir.html

    Which filter are you using?
    I am assuming your shots are digital.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Aug 31, 2010
  14. swandy

    M-M Guest

    In article <4c7d0fd9$0$5504$-secrets.com>,
    "Peter" <> wrote:

    > "M-M" <> wrote in message
    > >I have been doing a lot of IR work myself. I tried the false color but I
    > > always come back to grayscale. False color looks to me unreal. Grayscale
    > > looks surreal.
    > >
    > > IR gives a look that is quite remarkable in it's own right. It is not
    > > always obvious why the photo takes on that mysterious feel, but the end
    > > result is the observer is drawn to it.
    > >
    > > Here are some examples:
    > >
    > > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/P1010042w.jpg
    > >
    > > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/frir/gordes/P8070187w.jpg
    > >
    > > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/frir/provence/P8070203w.jpg
    > >
    > > If you're interested, there are links to some more of my IR's here:
    > >
    > > http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/gsir.html
    > >

    > Which filter are you using?
    > I am assuming your shots are digital.

    Hoya R72 on an Olympus 2020Z. This older camera lacks the IR blocking
    filter and has a larger aperture allowing handheld IR.

    Interestingly my cellphone camera (and perhaps most) lacks the IR
    blocking filter so holding the R72 in front of the cellphone lens gets
    pretty decent results.

    --
    m-m
    http://www.mhmyers.com

    M-M, Aug 31, 2010
  15. swandy

    swandy Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:55:40 -0400, M-M <> wrote:

    >I have been doing a lot of IR work myself. I tried the false color but I
    >always come back to grayscale. False color looks to me unreal. Grayscale
    >looks surreal.
    >
    >IR gives a look that is quite remarkable in it's own right. It is not
    >always obvious why the photo takes on that mysterious feel, but the end
    >result is the observer is drawn to it.
    >
    >Here are some examples:
    >
    >http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/P1010042w.jpg
    >
    >http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/frir/gordes/P8070187w.jpg
    >
    >http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/frir/provence/P8070203w.jpg
    >
    >If you're interested, there are links to some more of my IR's here:
    >
    >http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/ir/gsir/gsir.html

    MM,
    I really like some of your shots and I agree that traditional B&W IR
    in many ways produces more interesting images. I just got fascinated
    by the faux color shots. But still like a well done B&W one more.
    Thanks,

    swandy, Sep 1, 2010
  16. swandy

    swandy Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 23:20:12 -0500, C. Werner <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 23:28:06 -0400, swandy <> wrote:
    >

    >>(And I still don't understand what he meant by "splotchy".)

    >In these images (as well as others):
    >
    ><http://www.pbase.com/swandy/image/127965459>
    >
    >The blue hues appear only in some areas on the roof. Making it look like
    >you painted them in but missed some areas.

    Did you ever think that what you are refering to is the natural
    difference in the source material (sky, water, leaves) that are all
    not constant in their color/hues?
    What you are pointing out I am sure would have occured as slight
    differnces in the colors if a non-IR shot was taken.
    Steve

    swandy, Sep 1, 2010
  17. swandy

    sid Guest

    George Kerby wrote:

    > THERE you are! I thought you might be attacking the Discovery Channel
    > building up at Silver Springs today, LOL!
    >
    > <http://preview.tinyurl.com/25vgapt>

    "and, of course, the Squirrels."

    heh, he's nuts!

    thanks for that, made me laugh

    --
    sid
    RLU 300284

    sid, Sep 1, 2010
  18. In article <C8A440D5.3C38D%>,
    George Kerby <> wrote:

    > On 9/1/10 3:20 PM, in article wAyfo.3022$2, "sid"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > George Kerby wrote:
    > >
    > >> THERE you are! I thought you might be attacking the Discovery Channel
    > >> building up at Silver Springs today, LOL!
    > >>
    > >> <http://preview.tinyurl.com/25vgapt>

    > > "and, of course, the Squirrels."
    > >
    > > heh, he's nuts!
    > >

    > No. He's room temperature.
    >
    > > thanks for that, made me laugh
    > >

    > You are welcome.

    That's funny, I thought the Discovery Channel was in Maryland, not
    Florida.

    <http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g34637-Silver_Springs_Florida-Vacatio
    ns.html>

    Attila Jozsef, Sep 2, 2010