  1. What is the command to enable IP version 6 on an ethernet or
    serial interface?

    Fred
    Fred Atkinson, Nov 27, 2004

  2. Fred Atkinson

    Doan Guest

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, Fred Atkinson wrote:

    > What is the command to enable IP version 6 on an ethernet or
    > serial interface?
    >

    > Fred

    ipv6 enable

    Doan
    Doan, Nov 27, 2004

  3. For the life of me, I can't find that command on my Cisco 831
    and I have a fairly recent version of the IOS for it.

    I looked for this command under the 'int e0' interface. I see
    'ip' but not 'ipv6' much less an 'enable'.

    Any other ideas?

    Fred
    Fred Atkinson, Nov 27, 2004
  4. On 27.11.2004 07:54 Fred Atkinson wrote

    > What is the command to enable IP version 6 on an ethernet or
    > serial interface?

    You don't enable ipv6 routing by interface. Either ipv6 is supported by
    your IOS or not.

    To enable IPv6 route say "ipv6 unicast-routing" as global command.

    Arnold
    --
    Arnold Nipper, AN45
    Arnold Nipper, Nov 27, 2004
  5. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an ipv6 command under
    global configuration mode either in my 831 on my home network or on
    one of the 2501s I use for my lab experiments.

    I guess they don't support it. I'm surprised.

    Fred
    Fred Atkinson, Nov 27, 2004
  6. Fred Atkinson

    Peter Guest

    Hi Fred,

    Fred Atkinson wrote:
    > Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an ipv6 command under
    > global configuration mode either in my 831 on my home network or on
    > one of the 2501s I use for my lab experiments.
    >
    > I guess they don't support it. I'm surprised.

    It all depends on what version of IOS you are using. My 827 here is
    running (C820-K9OSY6-M), Version 12.2(15)T12, and in configure mode it
    shows -

    rtr2(config)#i?
    interface ip ipv6
    ----

    rtr2(config)#ipv6 ?
    access-list Configure access lists
    hop-limit Configure hop count limit
    host Configure static hostnames
    icmp Configure ICMP parameters
    local Specify local options
    neighbor Neighbor
    prefix-list Build a prefix list
    route Configure static routes
    router Enable an IPV6 routing process
    source-route Process packets with source routing header options
    unicast-routing Enable unicast routing

    So it sounds like the version you are using does not have it.

    Cheers................pk.

    --
    *** Replace SOMEONE with prk ***
    Peter, Nov 27, 2004
  7. Fred Atkinson <> writes:
    > Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an ipv6 command under
    >global configuration mode either in my 831 on my home network or on
    >one of the 2501s I use for my lab experiments.

    > I guess they don't support it. I'm surprised.

    Last I looked at the 8xx boxes for IPv6, Cisco didn't have support for
    any of them in any train. There's only so much they can fit into the
    little tiny boxes that those are, that they have to leave some stuff
    out. Same with the 2501. While there were some beta images for IPv6
    way back when, they can only fit 16M uncompressed images onto that
    box, since the program usually runs from flash on them.

    Guess other features ran out for squeezing into the space. If you're
    big enough, you probably could bug your sales rep to get a special
    train built for you that had the features you'd be looking for, but
    you probably wouldn't be posting here if you were big enough for such
    a thing :/
    Doug McIntyre, Nov 28, 2004
  8. Thanks for the reply, Doug.

    I guess that would make sense. The only thing is what am I
    going to do with my home/office router when the Internet starts going
    IPv6? I understand that it is already on use in limited sites.

    <Sigh>.

    Fred
    Fred Atkinson, Nov 28, 2004