    c) my operating system
    d) my browser ?
    , May 4, 2012

  2. Gordon Guest

    On 2012-05-04, <> wrote:
    > I understand that IPv6 will allow for trillions of internet addresses
    > I understand why it is necessary .
    >
    > I have run the test at http://test-ipv6.com/ and got the result:
    >
    > The World IPv6 Launch day is June 6th, 2012. Good news! Your current
    > browser, on this computer and at this location, are expected to keep
    > working after the Launch.
    >
    > Your readiness scores
    > 10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer
    > both IPv4 and IPv6
    > 0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are
    > forced to go IPv6 only
    >

    > So my questions are:
    > 1. When are publishers going to be forced to go to IPv6 only ?

    Well, my bet is that we will not be alive. The IPV6 change over will happen
    in steps and alongside IPV4 still going strong.

    It will start off slowly and then pick up speed expenecially.

    > 2. Is my 0/10 readiness score for this day due to
    > a) my ISP

    Most probably

    > b) my router

    Unless really new then yes.

    > c) my operating system

    Maybe, but getting less likely by each new version. Read it is ahead of a
    and b above

    > d) my browser ?

    Certainly not your browswer.
    Gordon, May 4, 2012

  3. On 4 May 2012 05:19:05 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >On 2012-05-04, <> wrote:
    >> I understand that IPv6 will allow for trillions of internet addresses
    >> I understand why it is necessary .
    >>
    >> I have run the test at http://test-ipv6.com/ and got the result:
    >>
    >> The World IPv6 Launch day is June 6th, 2012. Good news! Your current
    >> browser, on this computer and at this location, are expected to keep
    >> working after the Launch.
    >>
    >> Your readiness scores
    >> 10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer
    >> both IPv4 and IPv6
    >> 0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are
    >> forced to go IPv6 only
    >>

    >> So my questions are:
    >> 1. When are publishers going to be forced to go to IPv6 only ?

    >Well, my bet is that we will not be alive. The IPV6 change over will happen
    >in steps and alongside IPV4 still going strong.

    That is a bit of a head-in-the-sand attitude. Available IP addresses
    from APNIC (Asia-Pacific, including us and China) are now below
    18,000,000 - surely they will be exhausted shortly. After that, when
    your ISP runs out of IPv4 addresses new customers will have to be
    given an IPv6 one.

    If you have an IPv6 address and no IPv4 address, how do you access
    IPv4 only servers? There are mechanisms to do this, but your ISP will
    need to provide them. I just checked for my IPv6 service via tunnel
    to Hurricane Electric (www.he.net), and they do not provide any
    mapping of the IPv6 address block designated for IPv4 addressing. So
    if I was reliant only on my IPv6 addresses, I would not be able to
    access any IPv4 addresses. I will have to set up that mapping
    mechanism myself, which I can probably do since I use a Cisco 877 ADSL
    router for my Internet connection.

    And it is worse for a server with an IPv6 only address - there is no
    good way for any IPv4 only user to access an IPv6 only address. So if
    you are a small business and do not have an IPv4 address, you would
    have serious problems getting your IPv4 only customers to access you.

    So what we need is for IPv4 to become obsolete as soon as possible and
    have everyone on IPv6.

    >It will start off slowly and then pick up speed expenecially.
    >

    >> 2. Is my 0/10 readiness score for this day due to
    >> a) my ISP

    >Most probably

    When I last looked, there were only a couple of ISPs in NZ that are
    providing IPv6 support, and I think they were all still describing it
    as "experimental". I just had another look and the list is now a bit
    bigger, and includes one of the big ones, TelstraClear, although do
    not actually have end users working on IPv6 yet.

    http://www.ipv6.org.nz/service-providers/

    All ISPs had better be busy getting ready to add IPv6 by the time
    APNIC runs out of IPv4 addresses, or they will not be able to have any
    new customers.

    >> b) my router

    >Unless really new then yes.

    There are some routers that have supported IPv6 for quite a while, so
    check before you discard an old router. And check for IPv6 having
    been added in a later firmware update.

    >> c) my operating system

    >Maybe, but getting less likely by each new version. Read it is ahead of a
    >and b above

    I believe even Windows XP can do IPv6 with SP2, and later Windows
    versions have no problems at all. Linux has been IPv6 capable for
    rather longer than that. Android is not fully IPv6 yet, but has the
    basic IPv6 stack. It really just lacks DHCPv6. I am not sure about
    Apple iOS.

    Stephen Worthington, May 4, 2012
  4. In article <>,
    says...

    > I understand that IPv6 will allow for trillions of internet addresses
    > I understand why it is necessary .
    >
    > I have run the test at http://test-ipv6.com/ and got the result:
    >
    > The World IPv6 Launch day is June 6th, 2012. Good news! Your current
    > browser, on this computer and at this location, are expected to keep
    > working after the Launch.
    >
    > Your readiness scores
    > 10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer
    > both IPv4 and IPv6
    > 0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are
    > forced to go IPv6 only
    >

    > So my questions are:
    > 1. When are publishers going to be forced to go to IPv6 only ?
    >
    > 2. Is my 0/10 readiness score for this day due to
    > a) my ISP
    > b) my router
    > c) my operating system
    > d) my browser ?

    Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be nnnnnnnnn.

    Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be
    2001:0:4137:9e76:1ccd:2560:349f:c93b
    Your IPv6 service appears to be: Teredo

    The World IPv6 Launch day is June 6th, 2012. Good news! Your
    current browser, on this computer and at this location, are expected to
    keep working after the Launch. [more info]

    You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will
    not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

    Your IPv6 connection appears to be using Teredo, a type of
    IPv4/IPv6 gateway; currently it connects only to direct IP's. Your
    browser will not be able to go to IPv6 sites by name. This means the
    current configuration is not useful for browsing IPv6 web sites. [more
    info]

    Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no
    access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in
    the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites. [more info]
    Your readiness scores
    10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both
    IPv4 and IPv6
    0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced
    to go IPv6 only

    ***************

    Ok, so Actrix for one is not going to work with IPv6 only sites at this
    juncture. Or so it appears. Or my router, or something. As it happens, I
    fired off an email to their newsletter editor yesterday, before seeing
    this thread, asking for a roadmap to be published for their customers'
    instruction and eddification.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, May 5, 2012
  5. On Sat, 5 May 2012 14:39:52 +1200, Peter Huebner <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> I understand that IPv6 will allow for trillions of internet addresses
    >> I understand why it is necessary .
    >>
    >> I have run the test at http://test-ipv6.com/ and got the result:
    >>
    >> The World IPv6 Launch day is June 6th, 2012. Good news! Your current
    >> browser, on this computer and at this location, are expected to keep
    >> working after the Launch.
    >>
    >> Your readiness scores
    >> 10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer
    >> both IPv4 and IPv6
    >> 0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are
    >> forced to go IPv6 only
    >>

    >> So my questions are:
    >> 1. When are publishers going to be forced to go to IPv6 only ?
    >>
    >> 2. Is my 0/10 readiness score for this day due to
    >> a) my ISP
    >> b) my router
    >> c) my operating system
    >> d) my browser ?
    >>

    >Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be nnnnnnnnn.
    >
    > Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be
    >2001:0:4137:9e76:1ccd:2560:349f:c93b
    >Your IPv6 service appears to be: Teredo
    >
    > The World IPv6 Launch day is June 6th, 2012. Good news! Your
    >current browser, on this computer and at this location, are expected to
    >keep working after the Launch. [more info]
    >
    > You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will
    >not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.
    >
    > Your IPv6 connection appears to be using Teredo, a type of
    >IPv4/IPv6 gateway; currently it connects only to direct IP's. Your
    >browser will not be able to go to IPv6 sites by name. This means the
    >current configuration is not useful for browsing IPv6 web sites. [more
    >info]
    >
    > Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have no
    >access to the IPv6 Internet, or is not configured to use it. This may in
    >the future restrict your ability to reach IPv6-only sites. [more info]
    >Your readiness scores
    > 10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both
    >IPv4 and IPv6
    > 0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced
    >to go IPv6 only
    >
    >***************
    >
    >Ok, so Actrix for one is not going to work with IPv6 only sites at this
    >juncture. Or so it appears. Or my router, or something. As it happens, I
    >fired off an email to their newsletter editor yesterday, before seeing
    >this thread, asking for a roadmap to be published for their customers'
    >instruction and eddification.
    >
    >-P.

    If you wanted to run your own DNS server, you could probably use IPv6
    now via Terado. I think what Terado does is similar to my IPv6 tunnel
    to Hurricane Electric. HE does provide an IPv6 DNS server, but I have
    always run my own anyway, so I did not need to do anything except
    enable its IPv6 settings.

    I just checked my ISP's DNS servers (WorldNet), and they all gave IPv6
    have not announced anything yet.
    Stephen Worthington, May 5, 2012