IPSec Question

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Paul, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Hi all

    Currently studying for my 70-216 exam and I am getting
    stuck on IPSec.

    I have implemented the the secure server via group policy
    (using the default domain policy). I thought by
    implementing IPSec this way it would ensure IPSec
    communications amongst all my PC's on my test network.

    However, once implemented, no computers can communicate
    with each other?

    Furthermore, I don't understand why it only seems possible
    to have one IPSec policy via group policies. e.g. you can
    only assign one policy.

    How would you then, for example, require secure access to
    a file server, require unsecured access between some PC's
    and secure access between particular PC's in the domain
    (all PC's are using DHCP for IP address assignment)

    Any recommendations to resources for IPSec would also be
    appreciated.

    Thanks

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Paul

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    if you set the req. secure on the server, don't you need to set it up on
    the clients via gpo as well?

    also, did you use the pre-built security tamplates?

    "Paul" <> wrote in news:0c0101c3a1fc
    $035309b0$:
    Rowdy Yates, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    By setting the IPSec policy on the default domain policy
    (computers) won't the settings be propogated throughout
    the domain PC's?

    Currently running the default security templates that
    would have been applied when installing the machine.

    Paul, Nov 3, 2003
  4. Paul

    Consultant Guest

    are you using nat?

    Consultant, Nov 3, 2003
  5. Paul

    Guest Guest

    No - Just using a test network at home.

    1 x Win2K DC - utilising AD
    2 x Win2K clients

    Have used the IPSec Policy Require Security and
    implemented this on the default domain policy

    message

    Guest, Nov 3, 2003