IPS & Information Provided

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TheStoneCrusher, Aug 22, 2007.

  1. Does anyone know the kind of information an internet provider can supply?

    Luke
    TheStoneCrusher, Aug 22, 2007

  2. TheStoneCrusher

    ded Guest

    "TheStoneCrusher" <> wrote in message
    news:HpKyi.309$...
    > Does anyone know the kind of information an internet provider can supply?
    >
    > Luke

    Supply info to whom?
    If the question is if the "authorities" were to go via legal channels
    to learn what you or someone had been upto online, well there
    are certain steps one could do to hide their tracks in some circumstances,
    but one would have to take those precautions before the act, not after.
    Basically you have no secrets.
    ded, Aug 22, 2007

  3. TheStoneCrusher

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:19:05 -0400, "TheStoneCrusher"
    <> wrote:

    >Does anyone know the kind of information an internet provider can supply?

    Do you mean IP's? Or is IPS something else?

    And ... what exactly do you mean?
    Evan Platt, Aug 22, 2007
  4. TheStoneCrusher wrote:
    > Does anyone know the kind of information an internet provider can supply?

    Among the possibilities are your name, billing address, phone, what time
    of day you were logged on, sites you visited, emails you sent or
    received, the list goes on. As others have mentioned, can you narrow
    down your question?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 22, 2007
  5. TheStoneCrusher

    Mike Easter Guest

    TheStoneCrusher wrote:
    Subject: IPS & Information Provided

    > Does anyone know the kind of information an internet provider can
    > supply?

    Presumably this subject/question is supposed to be about privacy
    concerns vis the ISP internet service provider.

    If a sufficiently motivated adversary with sufficient legal or
    quasi-legal or illegal access to your provider's access to your
    connectivity and you were not 'defending' yourself against that access,
    then there's not much limit to what the adversary gets about your
    unencrypted traffic and the meatspace persona data you provide to your
    provider.

    People who are concerned about that encrypt their communication and
    there are privacy faq/s and such about that. Maybe you should read
    Doctor Who's security and privacy faq. Here's an almost uptodate one at
    pantarhei
    http://www.panta-rhei.eu.org/pantawiki/SecurityAndEncryptionFaq Security
    and Encryption FAQ - Revision 21.5 and here's one hot off the press from
    a newsgroup post by Doctor Who of rev 22.3
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.privacy/msg/b03865406004791d?hl=en

    That will disappear from GG in 2 days because of the XNA, its mid is

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 22, 2007
  6. TheStoneCrusher wrote:
    > Does anyone know the kind of information an internet provider can supply?

    Sure. They can supply you with information on their services and
    prices...

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 22, 2007
  7. TheStoneCrusher

    Vanguard Guest

    > Does anyone know the kind of information an internet provider can
    > supply?

    Sure.
    They can tell you how much their service will cost.
    They can tell you what are the IP names for their mail hosts.
    They can tell you why they closed your account.
    They can tell you lots.
    And they can be as vague as were you.
    Vanguard, Aug 22, 2007
  8. TheStoneCrusher

    Plato Guest

    TheStoneCrusher wrote:

    > Does anyone know the kind of information an internet provider can supply?

    Anything the govt. wants they can get. Anything you do on the Internet
    can be on the first page of tomorrows newspaper.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 22, 2007