    can track IP visits to my website, so surely the same must be possible
    for tracking those who email me, yes? Headers don't show the information
    I'm looking for.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Apr 9, 2005

  2. Mrs Beeble Brock

    nova Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > Hi, is there a way to see the IP address of an email sender? I realise I
    > can track IP visits to my website, so surely the same must be possible
    > for tracking those who email me, yes? Headers don't show the information
    > I'm looking for.

    Check the received headers, though the only received header you can
    truely trust is the one generated by your own/isps server, the rest can
    be forged of course :)

    nova, Apr 9, 2005

  3. Mrs Beeble Brock

    Enkidu Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > Hi, is there a way to see the IP address of an email
    > sender? I realise I can track IP visits to my website,
    > so surely the same must be possible for tracking those
    > who email me, yes? Headers don't show the information
    > I'm looking for.

    ??? The headers should show everything, unless you suspect
    that they have been mangled en route.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Apr 9, 2005
  4. On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 18:42:19 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

    > Hi, is there a way to see the IP address of an email sender? I realise I
    > can track IP visits to my website, so surely the same must be possible
    > for tracking those who email me, yes? Headers don't show the information
    > I'm looking for.

    more info required methinks,
    is it your own mailserver..
    is the server you are getting the mail from making the headers available..
    is the client you are using able to show all the headers..
    etc.

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 9, 2005
  5. Mrs Beeble Brock

    steve Guest

    Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > Hi, is there a way to see the IP address of an email sender? I realise I
    > can track IP visits to my website, so surely the same must be possible
    > for tracking those who email me, yes? Headers don't show the information
    > I'm looking for.

    The FULL headers should show you this information.

    Each server in the chain of servers that effected delivery should be
    listed.....unless, of course, the headers have been forged immediately
    prior to delivery to your server. But that last transaction should be
    there - at least.

    steve, Apr 9, 2005
  6. Yes, you're all right - the information is in the full headers, I hadn't
    looked closely enough.

    But when I type this information into whois.com nothing comes up. Is
    there a better site to find out who an IP belongs to?

    I get various emails that are totally blank in the address, subject and
    body and would like to track down the sender.

    I'm also interested to know whether my IP shows when I send mail from
    web-based systems like Hotmail, Gmail, etc.

    Cheers,
    Jo

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Apr 10, 2005
  7. Mrs Beeble Brock

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <oT%5e.17349$>,
    Mrs Beeble Brock <> wrote:

    > Yes, you're all right - the information is in the full headers, I hadn't
    > looked closely enough.
    >
    > But when I type this information into whois.com nothing comes up. Is
    > there a better site to find out who an IP belongs to?
    >
    > I get various emails that are totally blank in the address, subject and
    > body and would like to track down the sender.
    >
    > I'm also interested to know whether my IP shows when I send mail from
    > web-based systems like Hotmail, Gmail, etc.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Jo

    Look at spamcop.net. You paste the full headers in and it tells you
    where the email actually originated from.

    whoisthis, Apr 10, 2005
  8. On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:07:16 +1200, Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:

    > Yes, you're all right - the information is in the full headers, I hadn't
    > looked closely enough.
    >
    > But when I type this information into whois.com nothing comes up. Is
    > there a better site to find out who an IP belongs to?

    http://www.apnic.net
    http://www.ripe.net/perl/whois
    http://www.arin.net/whois/index.html
    http://lacnic.net/cgi-bin/lacnic/whois
    sam spade provides a limited whois tool for windows, but *nix provides
    whois as a commandline app.

    > I get various emails that are totally blank in the address, subject and
    > body and would like to track down the sender.
    >
    > I'm also interested to know whether my IP shows when I send mail from
    > web-based systems like Hotmail, Gmail, etc.

    yes, unless you use a proxy ;-)
    (this doesnt mean you are invisible, just means its an extra layer to go
    through to get your Orig. IP)

    Shane (aka froggy), Apr 10, 2005
  9. Mrs Beeble Brock said the following on 10/04/2005 2:07 p.m.:

    > Yes, you're all right - the information is in the full headers, I hadn't
    > looked closely enough.
    >
    > But when I type this information into whois.com nothing comes up. Is
    > there a better site to find out who an IP belongs to?
    >
    > I get various emails that are totally blank in the address, subject and
    > body and would like to track down the sender.
    >
    > I'm also interested to know whether my IP shows when I send mail from
    > web-based systems like Hotmail, Gmail, etc.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Jo

    Feed the mail into spamcop (even if it isnt spam, just dont report it)
    and it will give you heaps of usefull data on the sender.

    Note the IP you will find will not useually be the senders Ip but the
    sending Mailservers IP

    Collector»NZ, Apr 10, 2005
  10. Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > Hi, is there a way to see the IP address of an email sender? I realise I
    > can track IP visits to my website, so surely the same must be possible
    > for tracking those who email me, yes? Headers don't show the information
    > I'm looking for.

    Great - thanks everyone.

    Mrs Beeble Brock, Apr 10, 2005
  11. Mrs Beeble Brock wrote:
    > Yes, you're all right - the information is in the full headers, I hadn't
    > looked closely enough.
    > But when I type this information into whois.com nothing comes up. Is
    > there a better site to find out who an IP belongs to?

    you can usually only track it as close as an ISP.
    try here.
    www.dave.net.nz/whois

    > I get various emails that are totally blank in the address, subject and
    > body and would like to track down the sender.

    again, other than their ISP, you wont get much.

    > I'm also interested to know whether my IP shows when I send mail from
    > web-based systems like Hotmail, Gmail, etc.

    test it, it should be in there.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 10, 2005