    TIA
    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Shane, Apr 25, 2006

  2. In <e2k5rm$6hc$> Shane wrote:
    > I have been asked about these damn things, mostly because they are
    > only $116 at the warehouse. But .. as per the norm perhaps.. I have no
    > idea on them :) Do all mp3 players have to be recharged on the USB
    > port of a PC? Can linux be used to transfer music from PC's to mp3
    > players? TIA

    If it's $116 it's presumably the 512MB iPod shuffle. They have a lithium
    battery inside which charges through the USB port. You don't need to
    charge them from a computer though, as a simple five-volt power supply
    connected to a USB socket will work fine. Apple makes a (very expensive)
    mains charger, but there are also cheap third-party ones, including
    chargers which plug into a vehicle lighter socket.

    Some MP3 players run off AAA cells, but I've never liked the idea of
    having to buy, carry around, and change batteries. I keep my iPod nano
    in a dock when I'm not using it, so it's always fully charged, but then
    I'm never away from the computer for more than a day.

    Note that the main benefit of buying a shuffle over another simple
    player is integration with iTunes (not available for Linux) and music
    bought from the iTunes Music Store (not available in New Zealand). iPods
    play music based on a database rather than just playing all the tracks
    in a folder, so you need special software to load music on to one.
    There's plenty of Linux software that supports iPods though e.g. Banshee
    and gtkpod.

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Apr 25, 2006

  3. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > In <e2k5rm$6hc$> Shane wrote:
    >> I have been asked about these damn things, mostly because they are
    >> only $116 at the warehouse. But .. as per the norm perhaps.. I have no
    >> idea on them :) Do all mp3 players have to be recharged on the USB
    >> port of a PC? Can linux be used to transfer music from PC's to mp3
    >> players? TIA

    > If it's $116 it's presumably the 512MB iPod shuffle. They have a lithium
    > battery inside which charges through the USB port. You don't need to
    > charge them from a computer though, as a simple five-volt power supply
    > connected to a USB socket will work fine. Apple makes a (very expensive)
    > mains charger, but there are also cheap third-party ones, including
    > chargers which plug into a vehicle lighter socket.
    >
    > Some MP3 players run off AAA cells, but I've never liked the idea of
    > having to buy, carry around, and change batteries. I keep my iPod nano
    > in a dock when I'm not using it, so it's always fully charged, but then
    > I'm never away from the computer for more than a day.
    >
    > Note that the main benefit of buying a shuffle over another simple
    > player is integration with iTunes (not available for Linux) and music
    > bought from the iTunes Music Store (not available in New Zealand). iPods
    > play music based on a database rather than just playing all the tracks
    > in a folder, so you need special software to load music on to one.
    > There's plenty of Linux software that supports iPods though e.g. Banshee
    > and gtkpod.

    Awesome, thats a start
    Thanks
    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Shane, Apr 25, 2006
  4. Shane wrote:
    > I have been asked about these damn things, mostly because they are only $116
    > at the warehouse.
    > But .. as per the norm perhaps.. I have no idea on them :)
    > Do all mp3 players have to be recharged on the USB port of a PC?
    > Can linux be used to transfer music from PC's to mp3 players?

    IPod shuffles are really, really useless. I can't believe that Apple
    managed to make consumers think that the lack of a screen is a feature.
    Don't get dazzled by the brand name!

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    --
    http://www.sherlocksoftware.org

    Nicholas Sherlock, Apr 26, 2006
  5. Shane

    Jo Guest

    "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    >I have been asked about these damn things, mostly because they are only
    >$116
    > at the warehouse.
    > But .. as per the norm perhaps.. I have no idea on them :)
    > Do all mp3 players have to be recharged on the USB port of a PC?
    > Can linux be used to transfer music from PC's to mp3 players?
    > TIA
    > --

    I just bought one for my daughter for her birthday (the last present over
    $20 she has been warned). The software is slightly out of date and needs to
    be updated to work - all 45 mbs worth. It doesnt like other dvd burning
    software on your computer and kicks up a nasty message everytime it starts
    up, it can be ignored without a problem though. The other thing was the usb
    port needs to be usb 2.0, 1.1 wont charge it and it takes forever to upload
    this way. The sound clarity is good, as a starter ipod I think its a goer.

    Jo, Apr 26, 2006
  6. Shane

    brazen Guest

    >I have been asked about these damn things, mostly because they are only
    >$116
    > at the warehouse.
    > But .. as per the norm perhaps.. I have no idea on them :)
    > Do all mp3 players have to be recharged on the USB port of a PC?
    > Can linux be used to transfer music from PC's to mp3 players?
    > TIA
    > --

    I'm interested in the responses too - we are giving an mp3 player as a prize
    on a website and would rather buy one that is fairly ok, and easy for
    non-techies to use.

    Like you, I've had nothing to do with them, but I had heard that ipod
    battery life is pretty short. Anyone verify that?

    Gay

    brazen, Apr 26, 2006
  7. Shane

    Jerry Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > I have been asked about these damn things, mostly because they are only $116
    > at the warehouse.
    > But .. as per the norm perhaps.. I have no idea on them :)
    > Do all mp3 players have to be recharged on the USB port of a PC?
    > Can linux be used to transfer music from PC's to mp3 players?
    > TIA

    A kind of amusing story - The US hosted a thing called the "World
    Baseball Classic" which unlike the World Series was open to other
    nations. They gave all the players an Ipod. Everyone on the Cuban team
    now has an Ipod, even though there probably isn't a USB port in all of
    Cuba. They almost took home the trophy too, just losing to Japan in the
    final.

    Jerry, Apr 26, 2006
  8. Jo wrote:

    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message

    > >I have been asked about these damn things, mostly because they are only
    > >$116
    > > at the warehouse.
    > > But .. as per the norm perhaps.. I have no idea on them :)
    > > Do all mp3 players have to be recharged on the USB port of a PC?
    > > Can linux be used to transfer music from PC's to mp3 players?

    > I just bought one for my daughter for her birthday (the last present over
    > $20 she has been warned). The software is slightly out of date and needs to
    > be updated to work - all 45 mbs worth. It doesnt like other dvd burning
    > software on your computer and kicks up a nasty message everytime it starts
    > up, it can be ignored without a problem though. The other thing was the usb
    > port needs to be usb 2.0, 1.1 wont charge it and it takes forever to upload
    > this way.

    My iPod Shuffle worked fine with my iBook G3, which only supported USB
    1.1. You wouldn't want to use USB 1.1 with a Nano or full size iPod,
    though, because of the slow transfer speed.

    As to the question of battery life, my Shuffle was excellent in this
    regard. I could get many hours of playback out of it with the battery
    indicator still on green.

    alastair.geek.nz, Apr 26, 2006
  9. Nicholas Sherlock <> wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    > > I have been asked about these damn things, mostly because they are only $116
    > > at the warehouse.
    > > But .. as per the norm perhaps.. I have no idea on them :)
    > > Do all mp3 players have to be recharged on the USB port of a PC?
    > > Can linux be used to transfer music from PC's to mp3 players?

    > IPod shuffles are really, really useless. I can't believe that Apple
    > managed to make consumers think that the lack of a screen is a feature.
    > Don't get dazzled by the brand name!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    What's wrong with simple and cheap, plus integration with the arguably
    the best jukebox software - iTunes? It's not like Apple did away with
    the regular iPods and forced you to buy a shuffle instead! LOL :-D

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 26, 2006
  10. Jo <> wrote:

    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > >I have been asked about these damn things, mostly because they are only
    > >$116
    > > at the warehouse.
    > > But .. as per the norm perhaps.. I have no idea on them :)
    > > Do all mp3 players have to be recharged on the USB port of a PC?
    > > Can linux be used to transfer music from PC's to mp3 players?
    > > TIA
    > > --

    > I just bought one for my daughter for her birthday (the last present over
    > $20 she has been warned). The software is slightly out of date and needs to
    > be updated to work - all 45 mbs worth. It doesnt like other dvd burning
    > software on your computer and kicks up a nasty message everytime it starts
    > up, it can be ignored without a problem though. The other thing was the usb
    > port needs to be usb 2.0, 1.1 wont charge it and it takes forever to upload
    > this way. The sound clarity is good, as a starter ipod I think its a goer.

    All USB iPods work fine with USB 1.1, and I third party software that's
    crappy enough to interfere with iTunes or your iPod is hardly Apple's
    fault :-D

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 26, 2006
  11. brazen <> wrote:

    > "Shane" <-a-geek.net> wrote in message
    > >I have been asked about these damn things, mostly because they are only
    > >$116
    > > at the warehouse.
    > > But .. as per the norm perhaps.. I have no idea on them :)
    > > Do all mp3 players have to be recharged on the USB port of a PC?
    > > Can linux be used to transfer music from PC's to mp3 players?
    > > TIA
    > > --

    > I'm interested in the responses too - we are giving an mp3 player as a prize
    > on a website and would rather buy one that is fairly ok, and easy for
    > non-techies to use.
    >
    > Like you, I've had nothing to do with them, but I had heard that ipod
    > battery life is pretty short. Anyone verify that?
    >
    > Gay

    Define short? So long as my iPod is fully charged I have never run out
    of juice, but then I'm not often away from home for very extended
    periods.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 26, 2006
  12. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    brazen exclaimed:
    > I'm interested in the responses too - we are giving an mp3 player as a prize
    > on a website and would rather buy one that is fairly ok, and easy for
    > non-techies to use.

    For non-techie end-users, the Apple iPods are hard to beat. The nano
    seems to be the sweet-spot.

    Many companies are trying to invent "ipod killers" (so many it's become
    a running joke in IT) but most have no idea.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Apr 29, 2006
  13. On 25 Apr 2006 05:13:36 GMT, Roger Johnstone <>
    wrote:

    >Some MP3 players run off AAA cells, but I've never liked the idea of
    >having to buy, carry around, and change batteries. I keep my iPod nano
    >in a dock when I'm not using it, so it's always fully charged, but then
    >I'm never away from the computer for more than a day.

    I'm the opposite. With AAA batteries you can change them when they get
    flat (use AAA rechargeables). You can pop into most shops and buy a
    battery as a last resort.

    I guess I've been burnt as I have an MP3 here with a builtin Li-On
    rechargeable which is dead and no replacement is available so the
    whole MP3 player is useless now.

    Jason Clinton, Apr 29, 2006
  14. Shane

    Belly Guest

    Stoopid legacy I-pod. I have a Creative Nomad player(albeit big). I encode
    my music at 320vbr, have 3491 tracks and the contents of My Documents on it
    and the playa is at %50 full. The battery is external. I can just buy a new
    one, should it occur, myself.
    Even with the high bitrate/drive read my battery does 16 hrs.
    I-Pods are SO over rated.

    Belly, Apr 30, 2006
  15. Shane

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <b4X4g.6683$>,
    "Belly" <> wrote:

    > Stoopid legacy I-pod. I have a Creative Nomad player(albeit big). I encode
    > my music at 320vbr, have 3491 tracks and the contents of My Documents on it
    > and the playa is at %50 full. The battery is external. I can just buy a new
    > one, should it occur, myself.
    > Even with the high bitrate/drive read my battery does 16 hrs.
    > I-Pods are SO over rated.

    No wireless. Less space than a nomad. Lame.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Apr 30, 2006
  16. Belly <> wrote:

    > Stoopid legacy I-pod. I have a Creative Nomad player(albeit big). I encode
    > my music at 320vbr, have 3491 tracks and the contents of My Documents on it
    > and the playa is at %50 full. The battery is external. I can just buy a new
    > one, should it occur, myself.
    > Even with the high bitrate/drive read my battery does 16 hrs.
    > I-Pods are SO over rated.

    It's called an iPod. At least get the name right.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 30, 2006
  17. Shane

    Petrushka Guest

    On 30/04/06 16:31, Belly wrote:
    > I encode my music at 320vbr

    Just for reference, 320 kb/s is the maximum bitrate for mp3s, so the
    "vbr" is redundant (unless you're using some other format).

    Petrushka, May 2, 2006