    player. Shame as ME suits all the rest of our needs quite adequately .

    Thanks for any help
    , Aug 27, 2005

  2. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > My apologies if this is not the place to post this question but
    > thought that someone here must know the answer ...
    > Cannot get my daughters new mini IPod to work with Windows ME .
    > Someone told her that the software that came with it needs to be
    > loaded on a machine running Windoze 2000 or XP so she did this on a
    > friends pc . Also to use Winamp + plug in to install files etc.
    > She has done all this but tho the mp3 files show up on the Ipod she
    > cannot get them to play !
    >
    > Is there a workaround for getting things up & running under Windows ME
    > or does she have to give up and change it for another brand of MP3
    > player. Shame as ME suits all the rest of our needs quite adequately .
    >
    > Thanks for any help

    ME is crap. Upgrade to XP Home. Seriously.

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    Toolman Tim, Aug 28, 2005

  3. Knackered Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > My apologies if this is not the place to post this question but
    > thought that someone here must know the answer ...
    > Cannot get my daughters new mini IPod to work with Windows ME .
    > Someone told her that the software that came with it needs to be
    > loaded on a machine running Windoze 2000 or XP so she did this on a
    > friends pc . Also to use Winamp + plug in to install files etc.
    > She has done all this but tho the mp3 files show up on the Ipod she
    > cannot get them to play !
    >
    > Is there a workaround for getting things up & running under Windows ME
    > or does she have to give up and change it for another brand of MP3
    > player. Shame as ME suits all the rest of our needs quite adequately .
    >
    > Thanks for any help

    MP3 is a data format - NOT an audio format like CDa or WMA.
    The Operating system is not relevent to MP3 files.
    Itunes software is only compatiable with WinXP or 2000.
    As you are running the dire WinME, you will have to use
    other MP3 ripping software that is ME compliant.
    Below a link to free MP3 ripping software compliant with
    the dreadful WinME.
    http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_converter_freeware.htm
    http://www.mp3-converter.com/faq/mp3_ripper_software.htm

    How are you connecting the Ipod to your PC? USB or Firewire?
    USB is an established but not too stable data transfer bus.
    Firewire is an ultra wideband pure digital signal transfer
    with 30 times the accuracy of USB.
    If you have a Firewire port on your PC, that is the connection
    you should use to the excellent little Ipod.
    You use the ME compliant software to rip music from your CD's
    at a data rate of your choice, and save to a folder on your PC.
    Connect the Ipod to preffrably the firewire port - or USB, and
    use the software to transfer the MP3 files to the Ipod.
    Knackered, Aug 28, 2005
  4. Toolman Tim Guest

    Knackered wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> My apologies if this is not the place to post this question but
    >> thought that someone here must know the answer ...
    >> Cannot get my daughters new mini IPod to work with Windows ME .
    >> Someone told her that the software that came with it needs to be
    >> loaded on a machine running Windoze 2000 or XP so she did this on a
    >> friends pc . Also to use Winamp + plug in to install files etc.
    >> She has done all this but tho the mp3 files show up on the Ipod she
    >> cannot get them to play !
    >>
    >> Is there a workaround for getting things up & running under Windows
    >> ME or does she have to give up and change it for another brand of MP3
    >> player. Shame as ME suits all the rest of our needs quite adequately
    >> . Thanks for any help

    > MP3 is a data format - NOT an audio format like CDa or WMA.
    > The Operating system is not relevent to MP3 files.
    > Itunes software is only compatiable with WinXP or 2000.
    > As you are running the dire WinME, you will have to use
    > other MP3 ripping software that is ME compliant.
    > Below a link to free MP3 ripping software compliant with
    > the dreadful WinME.
    > http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_converter_freeware.htm
    > http://www.mp3-converter.com/faq/mp3_ripper_software.htm
    >

    > How are you connecting the Ipod to your PC? USB or Firewire?
    > USB is an established but not too stable data transfer bus.
    > Firewire is an ultra wideband pure digital signal transfer
    > with 30 times the accuracy of USB.
    > If you have a Firewire port on your PC, that is the connection
    > you should use to the excellent little Ipod.
    > You use the ME compliant software to rip music from your CD's
    > at a data rate of your choice, and save to a folder on your PC.
    > Connect the Ipod to preffrably the firewire port - or USB, and
    > use the software to transfer the MP3 files to the Ipod.

    If I remember correctly, iPod will not work with any other software:
    Windows system requirements
    a.. PC with USB 2.0 or FireWire port or USB 2.0 or FireWire card
    b.. Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or later, or Windows XP Home or
    Professional with Service Pack 2 or later
    c.. iTunes 4.7 or later (included on iPod CD)

    http://www.apple.com/ipod/color/specs.html

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    Toolman Tim, Aug 28, 2005
  5. Phoenix Guest

    Try this: http://www.ephpod.com/

    Phoenix, Aug 28, 2005
  6. Knackered Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Knackered wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> My apologies if this is not the place to post this question but
    >>> thought that someone here must know the answer ...
    >>> Cannot get my daughters new mini IPod to work with Windows ME .
    >>> Someone told her that the software that came with it needs to be
    >>> loaded on a machine running Windoze 2000 or XP so she did this on a
    >>> friends pc . Also to use Winamp + plug in to install files etc.
    >>> She has done all this but tho the mp3 files show up on the Ipod she
    >>> cannot get them to play !
    >>>
    >>> Is there a workaround for getting things up & running under Windows
    >>> ME or does she have to give up and change it for another brand of MP3
    >>> player. Shame as ME suits all the rest of our needs quite adequately
    >>> . Thanks for any help

    >> MP3 is a data format - NOT an audio format like CDa or WMA.
    >> The Operating system is not relevent to MP3 files.
    >> Itunes software is only compatiable with WinXP or 2000.
    >> As you are running the dire WinME, you will have to use
    >> other MP3 ripping software that is ME compliant.
    >> Below a link to free MP3 ripping software compliant with
    >> the dreadful WinME.
    >> http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_converter_freeware.htm
    >> http://www.mp3-converter.com/faq/mp3_ripper_software.htm
    >>

    >> How are you connecting the Ipod to your PC? USB or Firewire?
    >> USB is an established but not too stable data transfer bus.
    >> Firewire is an ultra wideband pure digital signal transfer
    >> with 30 times the accuracy of USB.
    >> If you have a Firewire port on your PC, that is the connection
    >> you should use to the excellent little Ipod.
    >> You use the ME compliant software to rip music from your CD's
    >> at a data rate of your choice, and save to a folder on your PC.
    >> Connect the Ipod to preffrably the firewire port - or USB, and
    >> use the software to transfer the MP3 files to the Ipod.

    > If I remember correctly, iPod will not work with any other software:

    Hi TT
    It does indeed function with other software house's applications.
    Originally, the Itunes software was the Only app that could rip
    from a Cd directly to the Ipod via firewire without first ripping
    to HD, thats why I stated in my first response for OP to copy
    to folder, but there is now software that can also do a "direct
    rip".
    When connected via firewire to XP/2000, it is legacy support
    so XP will recognise it as an external firewire device - exactly
    same as a DV cam, or Miglia's and Cannopus MAC firewire
    devices - And Lacies external firewire HD's, Windows will recognise
    them, but of course PC's have for better selection of software than
    a Mac.
    An MP3 is an MP3, a data format that for playback requires exactly
    the same decoding regardless if it's a Mac, an Ipod or an 8- year
    old Win98, all that is required is compliant software!
    If the original poster has a firewire card installed on their WinME
    machine, there is a host of ME compliant software for ripping
    MP3's, and it will chug it along that firewire to whatever is
    connected on the other end - Ipod, Digital tape, external HD etc.

    Knackered, Aug 28, 2005
  7. Toolman Tim Guest

    Knackered wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Knackered wrote:
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> MP3 is a data format - NOT an audio format like CDa or WMA.
    >>> The Operating system is not relevent to MP3 files.
    >>> Itunes software is only compatiable with WinXP or 2000.
    >>> As you are running the dire WinME, you will have to use
    >>> other MP3 ripping software that is ME compliant.
    >>> Below a link to free MP3 ripping software compliant with
    >>> the dreadful WinME.
    >>> http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_converter_freeware.htm
    >>> http://www.mp3-converter.com/faq/mp3_ripper_software.htm
    >>>

    >>> How are you connecting the Ipod to your PC? USB or Firewire?
    >>> USB is an established but not too stable data transfer bus.
    >>> Firewire is an ultra wideband pure digital signal transfer
    >>> with 30 times the accuracy of USB.
    >>> If you have a Firewire port on your PC, that is the connection
    >>> you should use to the excellent little Ipod.
    >>> You use the ME compliant software to rip music from your CD's
    >>> at a data rate of your choice, and save to a folder on your PC.
    >>> Connect the Ipod to preffrably the firewire port - or USB, and
    >>> use the software to transfer the MP3 files to the Ipod.

    >> If I remember correctly, iPod will not work with any other software:

    > Hi TT
    > It does indeed function with other software house's applications.
    > Originally, the Itunes software was the Only app that could rip
    > from a Cd directly to the Ipod via firewire without first ripping
    > to HD,

    Ahh - that's what I must have been remembering. (The 'rememberer' function
    is wearing out fast and frequently is found to be out-of-sync slightly <g>)

    > thats why I stated in my first response for OP to copy
    > to folder, but there is now software that can also do a "direct
    > rip".
    > When connected via firewire to XP/2000, it is legacy support
    > so XP will recognise it as an external firewire device - exactly
    > same as a DV cam, or Miglia's and Cannopus MAC firewire
    > devices - And Lacies external firewire HD's, Windows will recognise
    > them, but of course PC's have for better selection of software than
    > a Mac.
    > An MP3 is an MP3, a data format that for playback requires exactly
    > the same decoding regardless if it's a Mac, an Ipod or an 8- year
    > old Win98, all that is required is compliant software!
    > If the original poster has a firewire card installed on their WinME
    > machine, there is a host of ME compliant software for ripping
    > MP3's, and it will chug it along that firewire to whatever is
    > connected on the other end - Ipod, Digital tape, external HD etc.

    I've not bothered with portable MP3 players. I'm at the point in life that
    when I want to get away - bike ride, walk, fishing, camping, etc., that
    *includes* getting away from from the noises of life. But at home I use
    Musicmatch - I bet if I read the help files it would also be compatible with
    the iPods.
    Toolman Tim, Aug 28, 2005
  8. Guest

    Many thanks for all your replies ..... I have been running Windows ME
    for a number of years on a 3 machine LAN with not too many problems.
    At least no security ones that others have had with XP or 2000 !
    However I do regular maintenance etc. The only problem now is some
    peripherals work faster on USB 2 ports which ME doesn't support. My PC
    has them but my daughters is USB 1 and it's she who wants to use IPod
    or some other equal MP3 player.
    Will the issue of USB port compatibility be a problem or do I have to
    install firewire card etc. ?

    Cheers
    , Aug 28, 2005
  9. Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:
    > Many thanks for all your replies ..... I have been running Windows ME
    > for a number of years on a 3 machine LAN with not too many problems.
    > At least no security ones that others have had with XP or 2000 !

    HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! What are you smoking? ME is even more full of security
    holes than ANY NT based system. Geez!

    > However I do regular maintenance etc. The only problem now is some
    > peripherals work faster on USB 2 ports which ME doesn't support.

    Yes it does. Get the right drivers for the ports. I've even put USB 2 on
    W98se.

    > My PC
    > has them but my daughters is USB 1 and it's she who wants to use IPod
    > or some other equal MP3 player.
    > Will the issue of USB port compatibility be a problem or do I have to
    > install firewire card etc. ?

    Nope. No problem. Except for speed. USB 1.x is way slower. You can get an
    add-on card that does both firewire and USB 2.

    --
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    Toolman Tim, Aug 28, 2005