    I'm hoping not to have to install a bunch of unneeded software if I can get
    away with it.
    Thanks in advance.

    Ali P, Feb 22, 2004

  2. Ali P

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <doYZb.26831$>,
    "Ali P" <> wrote:

    > A friend of a friend got an iPod for christmas but doesn't have a computer.
    > It has a firewire connection and seeing as I have a couple of firewire ports
    > on my PC, I offered them the use of my computer to get some songs onto it.
    > She's coming around next weekend with a stack of CDs to put on her iPod.
    > What do I need to do in advance for her to get the songs on there? Do I need
    > the software from the Apple site or will my current MP3 encoder do the job?
    > Can I just transfer the tracks straight on to the iPod or do you need some
    > special software to do that as well?
    > I'm hoping not to have to install a bunch of unneeded software if I can get
    > away with it.
    > Thanks in advance.

    Grab iTunes. It's free and available for the PC. It does all the stuff
    you need to do.

    Phil

    --
    Bluengrey.com - Website and Multimedia development
    http://www.bluengrey.com

    MacGuide @ NZMac.com :: http://www.macguide.co.nz
    All Mac - All Kiwi - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community

    Philip Roy, Feb 22, 2004

  3. Ali P

    Carl Elphick Guest

    "Ali P" <> wrote in message
    > A friend of a friend got an iPod for christmas but doesn't have a

    computer.
    > It has a firewire connection and seeing as I have a couple of firewire

    ports
    > on my PC, I offered them the use of my computer to get some songs onto it.
    > She's coming around next weekend with a stack of CDs to put on her iPod.
    > What do I need to do in advance for her to get the songs on there? Do I

    need
    > the software from the Apple site or will my current MP3 encoder do the

    job?
    > Can I just transfer the tracks straight on to the iPod or do you need some
    > special software to do that as well?
    > I'm hoping not to have to install a bunch of unneeded software if I can

    get
    > away with it.

    http://www.apple.com/itunes/

    its about 12 or so megs, it also comes with quicktime
    there is a windows version now out which is pretty good

    Carl Elphick, Feb 22, 2004
  4. Ali P

    A Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:56:05 +1300, "Ali P"
    <> wrote:

    >A friend of a friend got an iPod for christmas but doesn't have a computer.
    >It has a firewire connection and seeing as I have a couple of firewire ports
    >on my PC, I offered them the use of my computer to get some songs onto it.

    Who gives an iPod away as a Xmas gift? Sure beats the T Shirts I got
    last Christmas.

    A, Feb 22, 2004
  5. Ali P

    XPD Guest

    "Carl Elphick" <> wrote in message

    > http://www.apple.com/itunes/
    >
    > its about 12 or so megs, it also comes with quicktime
    > there is a windows version now out which is pretty good

    19mb now :) They must have found some bugs to fill :)

    XPD, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Ali P

    John Guest

    Hi,

    With the IPod comes free the IPod firmware + Musicmatch.
    Just install this and copy all her cds to your HD and then synch this with
    Musicmatch.

    Very easy to use :).

    John

    John, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Ali P

    Peter S Guest

    "Ali P" <> wrote in message
    > A friend of a friend got an iPod for christmas but doesn't have a

    computer.
    > It has a firewire connection and seeing as I have a couple of firewire

    ports
    > on my PC, I offered them the use of my computer to get some songs onto it.
    > She's coming around next weekend with a stack of CDs to put on her iPod.
    > What do I need to do in advance for her to get the songs on there? Do I

    need
    > the software from the Apple site or will my current MP3 encoder do the

    job?
    > Can I just transfer the tracks straight on to the iPod or do you need some
    > special software to do that as well?
    > I'm hoping not to have to install a bunch of unneeded software if I can

    get
    > away with it.
    > Thanks in advance.

    Claim to fame - I own an iPod.

    Given that the iPod was bought just before last Christmas, it may not work
    with Musicmatch. Don't use it. Musicmatch came with my iPod, and it isn't
    pretty. It is also likely that if you install the Musicmatch that comes with
    iPod it will try and download a 20 megabyte update to itself on first run.

    Your current MP3 encoder will do the job, however iPod RELIES on the MP3 ID#
    tags to be correct and consistent in order for it to work well. I don't have
    to worry about it, I use iTunes.

    iTunes can be downloaded from apple.com (or itunes.com I believe). Install
    this. Also download the latest iPod Software update that should be available
    from this site. iPod Software Update updates the iPods internal software. I
    don't believe it is a firmware update - it looks like iPods OS is loaded
    every time you start iPod from the hard disk.

    iTunes rips tracks in AAC format by default, change this to MP3 in the
    preferences screens. I rip at 192K. I have 1600 tracks on my iPod and this
    takes just over 10 gigs of it.

    iPod formats itself on first plugin to the PC (iPods are sold unformatted so
    thaat they can be used on PC or Mac). I use iPod through firewire too, you
    can plug it in and iPod will charge over the firewire cable. It can be used
    straight away without a full charge.

    I would install the disk that comes with iPod first. Then I would install
    iTunes and the iPod Software Update. Then I would plugin in iPod for the
    first time.

    My personal setup is that I use Musicmatch to rip tracks (It allows you to
    rip to specified directories with sensible filenames) iTunes does not give
    MP3s the usual artist - title.mp3 filename, it does something different
    which I haven't fathomed. However this doesn't matter for iPod as it doesn't
    use filenames, it uses ID3 tags. Musicmatch also has the insanely awesome
    supertagger which correctly fills out ID3 tags for the most obscurely
    labelled music (read - any MP3 downloaded off Kazaa etc). After ripping with
    Musicmatch I use the import directory into library option in iTunes to
    import into the iTunes library, and then sync with iPod. iPod automatically
    syncs (no keypresses required) when plugged into the dock.

    This should help. I must remember to post it to a web page as it would have
    helped if I had this info before I bought iPod :)

    Pete.

    Peter S, Feb 22, 2004
  8. Ali P

    Alastair Guest

    In <FF_Zb.26855$> Peter S wrote:

    > "Ali P" <> wrote in message

    >> A friend of a friend got an iPod for christmas but doesn't have a
    >> It has a firewire connection and seeing as I have a couple of
    >> firewire
    >> on my PC, I offered them the use of my computer to get some songs
    >> onto it. She's coming around next weekend with a stack of CDs to put
    >> on her iPod. What do I need to do in advance for her to get the songs
    >> on there? Do I
    >> the software from the Apple site or will my current MP3 encoder do
    >> the
    >> Can I just transfer the tracks straight on to the iPod or do you need
    >> some special software to do that as well? I'm hoping not to have to
    >> install a bunch of unneeded software if I can
    >> away with it.

    > iTunes rips tracks in AAC format by default, change this to MP3 in the
    > preferences screens.

    Why? From all accounts, AAC is a superior compression algorithm and the
    latest iPods support AAC natively while support for it is available on
    older models by means of a software upgrade.

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    http://www.alastair.net.nz

    Alastair, Feb 23, 2004
  9. Ali P

    Peter S Guest

    "Alastair" <> wrote in message
    > In <FF_Zb.26855$> Peter S wrote:
    >
    > > "Ali P" <> wrote in message

    > >> A friend of a friend got an iPod for christmas but doesn't have a
    > >> It has a firewire connection and seeing as I have a couple of
    > >> firewire
    > >> on my PC, I offered them the use of my computer to get some songs
    > >> onto it. She's coming around next weekend with a stack of CDs to put
    > >> on her iPod. What do I need to do in advance for her to get the songs
    > >> on there? Do I
    > >> the software from the Apple site or will my current MP3 encoder do
    > >> the
    > >> Can I just transfer the tracks straight on to the iPod or do you need
    > >> some special software to do that as well? I'm hoping not to have to
    > >> install a bunch of unneeded software if I can
    > >> away with it.

    > > iTunes rips tracks in AAC format by default, change this to MP3 in the
    > > preferences screens.

    > Why? From all accounts, AAC is a superior compression algorithm and the
    > latest iPods support AAC natively while support for it is available on
    > older models by means of a software upgrade.
    >

    > --
    > Regards, Alastair.
    > http://www.alastair.net.nz
    > Christchurch, New Zealand
    > Note that my supplied email address is low priority and responses may be
    > delayed.

    I would disagree that it is 'by all accounts'.

    Cross compatibility across players is the main reason for my choice of MP3.
    I have an iPod, but who knows if I will still have an AAC compatible player
    in 6 months / a years time. Who knows if I will be using iTunes in 6 months
    time - I might choose WinAmp. MP3 is by far the most common standard and is
    a format that will exist forever in digital audio.

    The fact is that I believe that the difference between formats is so
    inperceptible as to render any argument pointless. You are likely to introdu
    ce more deviation from the original sound by using poor speakers, poor audio
    players etc than fussing over an audio format.

    Pete.

    Peter S, Feb 23, 2004
  10. Ali P

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <doYZb.26831$>,
    "Ali P" <> wrote:

    > A friend of a friend got an iPod for christmas but doesn't have a computer.
    > It has a firewire connection and seeing as I have a couple of firewire ports
    > on my PC, I offered them the use of my computer to get some songs onto it.
    > She's coming around next weekend with a stack of CDs to put on her iPod.
    > What do I need to do in advance for her to get the songs on there? Do I need
    > the software from the Apple site or will my current MP3 encoder do the job?
    > Can I just transfer the tracks straight on to the iPod or do you need some
    > special software to do that as well?

    Since the iPod will mount as a hard disk, and all the music is just
    stored in a hidden directory, in theory you could just copy the MP3
    files on, or use a 3rd party program.

    But it's by far easier to download Apple's iTunes program, which is free
    and requires Win2K or XP. iTunes will let you rip CDs into MP3 or AAC
    (AAC by default), and you can also import any existing MP3s you have.
    iTunes will get the ID tags for newly ripped CDs automatically, and you
    can ask it to do the same for existing MP3s.

    -- Bruce

    Bruce Hoult, Feb 23, 2004