    brazen Guest

    Can we download from i-Tunes in NZ?

    Gay
    brazen, Jun 30, 2006

  2. "brazen" <> wrote in message
    news:44a4bf6e$...
    > Can we download from i-Tunes in NZ?
    >
    > Gay

    Not legally..

    Try www.digirama.co.nz.

    They have the largest legal music download service in NZ

    Thanks
    Craig
    Craig Whitmore, Jun 30, 2006

  3. brazen

    sharktbbtfy Guest

    sharktbbtfy, Jun 30, 2006
  4. brazen wrote:

    > Can we download from i-Tunes in NZ?

    You might be able to access the Australian iTunes Music Store if you're
    lucky. I signed up for it when it first opened and was able to download
    right up until I started by DRM boycott about a month ago, but I've
    heard that people who've tried to sign up for it more recently have had
    their credit cards declined.
    alastair.geek.nz, Jun 30, 2006
  5. brazen

    Brendan Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:56:39 +1200, brazen wrote:

    > Can we download from i-Tunes in NZ?

    replace the firmware on it with something better. **** itunes. That way you
    can just copy mp3's ogg, etc to it like a disk drive and it just works.
    --

    .... Brendan

    #362137 +(4187)- [X]

    <reo4k> just type /quit whoever, and it'll quit them from irc
    * luckyb1tch has quit IRC (r`heaven)
    * r3devl has quit IRC (r`heaven)
    * sasopi has quit IRC (r`heaven)
    * phhhfft has quit IRC (r`heaven)
    * blackersnake has quit IRC (r`heaven)
    <ibaN`reo4k[ex]> that's gotta hurt
    <r`heaven> :(

    Note: All my comments are copyright 30/06/2006 11:31:43 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
    Brendan, Jun 30, 2006
  6. brazen

    Vista Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message

    > "brazen" <> wrote in message
    >> Can we download from i-Tunes in NZ?
    >>
    >> Gay
    >>

    > Not legally..
    >
    > Try www.digirama.co.nz.
    >
    > They have the largest legal music download service in NZ
    >
    > Thanks
    > Craig

    Is it possible to convert music purcahsed fromm digirama, to play on an
    ipod? WHat software can convvert it?
    Vista, Jul 2, 2006
  7. >> Not legally..

    >> Try www.digirama.co.nz.
    >>
    >> They have the largest legal music download service in NZ
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Craig
    >>

    > Is it possible to convert music purcahsed fromm digirama, to play on an
    > ipod? WHat software can convvert it?

    http://www.digirama.co.nz/helpipod.aspx

    The reverse is the same.. if you have a non-ipod music device.. you
    cannot put puchased music on it from Itunes.

    Microsoft will licence their technology to others quite easily.. but apple
    will not licenece their technology to them, so ipods are stuck with getting
    legally downloaded music from apple only, and as you are in NZ
    itunes store is useless.

    The only way would be to copy the music off existing CD's you own
    or illegally downloaded with no copy protection on them,
    and putting them onto your ipod, but i don't think its legal either (dunno
    the legalility of it really)

    Thanks
    Craig

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, Jul 2, 2006
  8. Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > > Is it possible to convert music purcahsed fromm digirama, to play on an
    > > ipod? WHat software can convvert it?

    > The reverse is the same.. if you have a non-ipod music device.. you
    > cannot put puchased music on it from Itunes.
    >
    > Microsoft will licence their technology to others quite easily.. but apple
    > will not licenece their technology to them, so ipods are stuck with getting
    > legally downloaded music from apple only, and as you are in NZ
    > itunes store is useless.

    This is a valid critism, but Microsoft's DRM is just as restrictive
    from the point of view that it only allows you to play music on a
    Windows based computer, and on a small selection of portable devices.

    I would love the convenience of being able to download music online,
    but I simply refuse to purchase any music which imposes restrictions
    like this. I have spent a lot of money on music over the years, and I
    expect my purchases to be future proof.
    alastair.geek.nz, Jul 2, 2006
  9. brazen

    Vista Guest

    "alastair.geek.nz" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >

    >> > Is it possible to convert music purcahsed fromm digirama, to play on an
    >> > ipod? WHat software can convvert it?

    >> The reverse is the same.. if you have a non-ipod music device.. you
    >> cannot put puchased music on it from Itunes.
    >>
    >> Microsoft will licence their technology to others quite easily.. but
    >> apple
    >> will not licenece their technology to them, so ipods are stuck with
    >> getting
    >> legally downloaded music from apple only, and as you are in NZ
    >> itunes store is useless.

    > This is a valid critism, but Microsoft's DRM is just as restrictive
    > from the point of view that it only allows you to play music on a
    > Windows based computer, and on a small selection of portable devices.
    >
    > I would love the convenience of being able to download music online,
    > but I simply refuse to purchase any music which imposes restrictions
    > like this. I have spent a lot of money on music over the years, and I
    > expect my purchases to be future proof.

    If you pay for music to download, you would expect it to be able to be
    played on any music player. If these companies impose restrictions ont their
    players and music files, then I am not surprised that people look for
    alternative versions that don't have copy protection. I guess I will keep
    buying CDs and rip them to MP3 to listen with. At least these files will
    play on both iPods and all the other devices.
    Vista, Jul 2, 2006
  10. brazen

    Jo Guest

    > The only way would be to copy the music off existing CD's you own
    > or illegally downloaded with no copy protection on them,
    > and putting them onto your ipod, but i don't think its legal either (dunno
    > the legalility of it really)

    I do that as for the legalities I dont know, but I still buy cds
    occasionally. Generally any new music going on my computer is from live
    recordings I have taken to convert into sheet music.
    Jo, Jul 2, 2006
  11. brazen

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 12:47:58 +1200, "Vista" <> wrote:

    >"Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "brazen" <> wrote in message
    >>> Can we download from i-Tunes in NZ?
    >>>
    >>> Gay
    >>>

    >> Not legally..
    >>
    >> Try www.digirama.co.nz.
    >>
    >> They have the largest legal music download service in NZ
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Craig
    >>

    >Is it possible to convert music purcahsed fromm digirama, to play on an
    >ipod? WHat software can convvert it?

    Yes, but it'll mean a small loss in quality.

    There is a piece of audio recording software that will set itself up as a sound
    card driver on your computer. You just hit record on it, and go play the drm
    audio in it's correct player (Windows Media Player in this case). The audio is
    recorded to wave files on your HD, you just need to compress to mp3 or whatever
    after that.

    The loss in quality is due to the fact it'll have to be decompressed when you
    play it, then you'll probably be recompressing it to mp3.

    The best semi-legal option at this stage is still to go out to somewhere like
    The Warehouse and buy it on CD and rip it. Otherwise you could go download it
    for free from somewhere else.

    I wonder how much more music would be sold online if it was all DRM free. If
    you could download it in mp3 or some other losless compression.
    Craig Shore, Jul 3, 2006