iPod woes

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sticky, Jul 5, 2005.

  1. Sticky

    Sticky Guest

    I'm a newbie to iPods but have been around PC's for a few years now.

    Frustration city.

    I bought and setup the ipod (mini) on a laptop while away. Copied
    (converted) all the files from CD to laptop. Works fine... apart from
    USB 1 :-(

    Came home and want to set it up on desktop with real USB 2. MMMm now I
    know that if I automatically update the iPod, iTunes will delete all
    the music thereon because the new library is empty.

    How do I sync the *library with the *iPod (rather than the other way
    around). I've tried copying the xml library file from the laptop but
    although this updates the playlists the actual songs remain greyed out.

    I don't really want to waste 2 Gb of HDD space by copying the files
    from the iPod, shit, I already have two copies (iPod + lottsa CD's).

    How do I make iTunes recognise the music on the iPod. I've deleted the
    iPod music once by auto update to an empty library, I DONT want to do
    it again.

    Thanks

    btw - I can't find any sensible iPod ng's on Orcon - sorry folks.

    --
    Jim
    Sticky, Jul 5, 2005

  2. Sticky

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 21:32:43 +1200, Sticky <>
    wrote:

    >I'm a newbie to iPods but have been around PC's for a few years now.
    >
    >Frustration city.
    >
    >I bought and setup the ipod (mini) on a laptop while away. Copied
    >(converted) all the files from CD to laptop. Works fine... apart from
    >USB 1 :-(
    >
    >Came home and want to set it up on desktop with real USB 2. MMMm now I
    >know that if I automatically update the iPod, iTunes will delete all
    >the music thereon because the new library is empty.
    >
    >How do I sync the *library with the *iPod (rather than the other way
    >around). I've tried copying the xml library file from the laptop but
    >although this updates the playlists the actual songs remain greyed out.
    >
    >I don't really want to waste 2 Gb of HDD space by copying the files
    >from the iPod, shit, I already have two copies (iPod + lottsa CD's).
    >
    >How do I make iTunes recognise the music on the iPod. I've deleted the
    >iPod music once by auto update to an empty library, I DONT want to do
    >it again.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >btw - I can't find any sensible iPod ng's on Orcon - sorry folks.

    There is an iPod plugin for Winamp 5.
    GraB, Jul 5, 2005

  3. Sticky

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <42ca54ec$>, Sticky <>
    wrote:

    > I'm a newbie to iPods but have been around PC's for a few years now.
    >
    > Frustration city.
    >
    > I bought and setup the ipod (mini) on a laptop while away. Copied
    > (converted) all the files from CD to laptop. Works fine... apart from
    > USB 1 :-(
    >
    > Came home and want to set it up on desktop with real USB 2. MMMm now I
    > know that if I automatically update the iPod, iTunes will delete all
    > the music thereon because the new library is empty.
    >
    > How do I sync the *library with the *iPod (rather than the other way
    > around). I've tried copying the xml library file from the laptop but
    > although this updates the playlists the actual songs remain greyed out.
    >
    > I don't really want to waste 2 Gb of HDD space by copying the files
    > from the iPod, shit, I already have two copies (iPod + lottsa CD's).
    >
    > How do I make iTunes recognise the music on the iPod. I've deleted the
    > iPod music once by auto update to an empty library, I DONT want to do
    > it again.

    It's very simple. As an anti-piracy measure to placate the music
    labels, Apple have made it difficult to copy the music from an iPod to a
    computer. The master copy of the music for an iPod is on a computer.
    One computer.

    Now, in fact it's not that hard to deal with, once you accept that you
    *must* have a complete copy of the music on a computer. You can copy
    your music directory around from machine to machine, and just use "Add
    to library" to get it into the iTunes library on the new machine. And
    then sync the iPod to that machine. In theory the iPod will be wiped
    and the new library downloaded to it. In practise, iTunes looks at what
    is in its library, and what is on the iPod, and only actually does what
    i necessary to make them the same. Which will be nothing at all if this
    computer has the same music library as the last one the iPod was synched
    to.

    As for getting your library onto the new computer by getting it off the
    iPod ... it's not very hard if you know anything about computers.

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-
    Bruce Hoult, Jul 5, 2005
  4. Sticky

    Peter S Guest

    "Sticky" <> wrote in message
    > I'm a newbie to iPods but have been around PC's for a few years now.
    >
    > Frustration city.
    >
    > I bought and setup the ipod (mini) on a laptop while away. Copied
    > (converted) all the files from CD to laptop. Works fine... apart from USB
    > 1 :-(
    >
    > Came home and want to set it up on desktop with real USB 2. MMMm now I
    > know that if I automatically update the iPod, iTunes will delete all the
    > music thereon because the new library is empty.
    >
    > How do I sync the *library with the *iPod (rather than the other way
    > around). I've tried copying the xml library file from the laptop but
    > although this updates the playlists the actual songs remain greyed out.
    >
    > I don't really want to waste 2 Gb of HDD space by copying the files from
    > the iPod, shit, I already have two copies (iPod + lottsa CD's).
    >
    > How do I make iTunes recognise the music on the iPod. I've deleted the
    > iPod music once by auto update to an empty library, I DONT want to do it
    > again.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > btw - I can't find any sensible iPod ng's on Orcon - sorry folks.
    >
    > --
    > Jim

    Hmm, none of those responses are too helpful really.

    I own an iPod and had the same difficulty. You can manually copy it as one
    poster says but it is quite messy and the songs are spread all over the show
    on the iPod, as well as being renamed poorly.

    I recommend a temporary install of ephPod (do a search on Google). You can
    use ephPod to copy the songs back to the PC. It will rename them and arrange
    them in album folders again.

    I recommend a temporary install, as ephPod isn't that crash hot really - its
    not as easy to use as iTunes - just use it to do the copy and then uninstall
    it.

    For more info on other iPod stuff, check out www.ipodlounge.com .

    Pete.
    Peter S, Jul 5, 2005
  5. Sticky

    Sticky Guest

    Peter S wrote:
    > "Sticky" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I'm a newbie to iPods but have been around PC's for a few years now.

    snip

    >>How do I sync the *library with the *iPod (rather than the other way
    >>around). I've tried copying the xml library file from the laptop but
    >>although this updates the playlists the actual songs remain greyed out.

    snip

    >>--
    >>Jim

    > Hmm, none of those responses are too helpful really.
    >
    > I own an iPod and had the same difficulty. You can manually copy it as one
    > poster says but it is quite messy and the songs are spread all over the show
    > on the iPod, as well as being renamed poorly.
    >
    > I recommend a temporary install of ephPod (do a search on Google). You can
    > use ephPod to copy the songs back to the PC. It will rename them and arrange
    > them in album folders again.
    >
    > I recommend a temporary install, as ephPod isn't that crash hot really - its
    > not as easy to use as iTunes - just use it to do the copy and then uninstall
    > it.
    >
    > For more info on other iPod stuff, check out www.ipodlounge.com .
    >
    > Pete.

    Thanks Pete. After reading these responses I "had a mummy think" about
    it. Finally it dawned after poking around with Explorer. Copied the
    files from their hidden folders and did it the long way. It worked but
    took 3 hours in all. Too many people said that ephPod wasn't much
    chop, so I didn't go there.

    ......Next time :)

    Thanks mate.

    --
    Jim
    Sticky, Jul 5, 2005
  6. Sticky

    Sticky Guest

    Bruce Hoult wrote:

    snip snip

    > In article <42ca54ec$>, Sticky <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I'm a newbie to iPods but have been around PC's for a few years now.
    >>
    >>How do I sync the *library with the *iPod (rather than the other way
    >>around). I've tried copying the xml library file from the laptop but
    >>although this updates the playlists the actual songs remain greyed out.

    > It's very simple. As an anti-piracy measure to placate the music
    > labels, Apple have made it difficult to copy the music from an iPod to a
    > computer. The master copy of the music for an iPod is on a computer.
    > One computer.

    Naive I am. It never occurred to me !

    snip

    > then sync the iPod to that machine. In theory the iPod will be wiped
    > and the new library downloaded to it. In practise, iTunes looks at what
    > is in its library, and what is on the iPod, and only actually does what
    > is necessary to make them the same. Which will be nothing at all if this
    > computer has the same music library as the last one the iPod was synched
    > to.

    Thats exactly what happened. The old stuff was rearranged, the new
    stuff was added.

    > As for getting your library onto the new computer by getting it off the
    > iPod ... it's not very hard if you know anything about computers.

    Well I know that *now. :)

    However I know lottsa people who "know about computers" but never use
    Explorer in their lives.

    --
    Jim
    Sticky, Jul 5, 2005
  7. Sticky

    PAM. Guest

    "Bruce Hoult" <> wrote in message
    > It's very simple. As an anti-piracy measure to placate the music
    > labels, Apple have made it difficult to copy the music from an iPod to a
    > computer. The master copy of the music for an iPod is on a computer.
    > One computer.

    There is a piece of software (for windows) that does this. I used to have it
    but I needed .net framework and for some reason I couldn't download it from
    MS site so I ended up connecting it as a hard drive through Linux & copying
    and pasting the MP3s from the iPod to my PC. I then went to iTunes and put
    those somgs in there and then synched it. All the songs on the iPoid were
    wiped out but added again when the synch came.

    Backups were made

    PAM.
    PAM., Jul 5, 2005