iPod virus

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by IRO, Oct 19, 2006.

  1. IRO

    IRO Guest

    There's been a flurry of excitement because Apple announced that some
    Video iPods picked up a Windows virus at the Chinese manufacturing
    plant. This is not a problem for Mac owners, but Windows owners who have
    bought a Video iPod since 12 Sept should check it with properly updated
    Anti-Virus software (what other sort is there?)

    What is scary is this quote from New Scientist:
    > The statement warns Windows users who may have bought an infected Video iPod
    > to scan their PC and any mass storage devices ­ such as external hard drives,
    > USB keys and digital cameras ­ with anti-virus software, as the virus
    > automatically spreads to these types of hardware.

    I was left wondering about the digital printing kiosks down at the Mall.
    What OS do they run on? If Windows lurks within the beast they would be
    the computing equivalent of an African Truck Stop.

    --
    ~IRO
    (enzed = nz)
    IRO, Oct 19, 2006

  2. T'was the Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:42:19 +1300 when I remembered IRO
    <> saying something like this:

    >There's been a flurry of excitement because Apple announced that some
    >Video iPods picked up a Windows virus at the Chinese manufacturing
    >plant. This is not a problem for Mac owners, but Windows owners who have
    >bought a Video iPod since 12 Sept should check it with properly updated
    >Anti-Virus software (what other sort is there?)

    And then blames Windows for being susceptible to viruses! That's like
    you catching AIDS and blaming your immune system for not being able to
    handle it.

    There's a blog from Jonathan Poon about the integrity of such an
    attack here -
    http://jonpoon.blogspot.com/2006/10/wheres-your-class-your-integrity.html
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 19, 2006

  3. IRO

    Earl Grey Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:42:19 +1300 when I remembered IRO
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> There's been a flurry of excitement because Apple announced that some
    >> Video iPods picked up a Windows virus at the Chinese manufacturing
    >> plant. This is not a problem for Mac owners, but Windows owners who have
    >> bought a Video iPod since 12 Sept should check it with properly updated
    >> Anti-Virus software (what other sort is there?)

    > And then blames Windows for being susceptible to viruses! That's like
    > you catching AIDS and blaming your immune system for not being able to
    > handle it.

    Yeah thats a little stupid, the ipods were probably infected by a
    Windows test computer that got infected by another Windows computer, but
    its definitely not a Windows problem, Windows users who don't update
    their antivirus and spyware prevention software are to blame.
    Lets point the finger of blame where it really belongs.
    %\
    So is the problem Windows ? or Windows users ?
    Earl Grey, Oct 19, 2006
  4. "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >> T'was the Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:42:19 +1300 when I remembered IRO
    >> <> saying something like this:
    >>> There's been a flurry of excitement because Apple announced that some
    >>> Video iPods picked up a Windows virus at the Chinese manufacturing
    >>> plant. This is not a problem for Mac owners, but Windows owners who have
    >>> bought a Video iPod since 12 Sept should check it with properly updated
    >>> Anti-Virus software (what other sort is there?)

    >> And then blames Windows for being susceptible to viruses! That's like
    >> you catching AIDS and blaming your immune system for not being able to
    >> handle it.

    > Yeah thats a little stupid, the ipods were probably infected by a Windows
    > test computer that got infected by another Windows computer, but its
    > definitely not a Windows problem, Windows users who don't update their
    > antivirus and spyware prevention software are to blame.
    > Lets point the finger of blame where it really belongs.
    > %\
    > So is the problem Windows ? or Windows users ?

    Or for example the security problem with NVIDIA drivers for Linux. Is it a
    problem with Linux? Or a problem of Linux users if they install a faulty
    software?

    --
    Mauricio Freitas
    www.geekzone.co.nz, www.geekzone.co.nz/freitasm
    Mauricio Freitas, Oct 19, 2006
  5. IRO

    Earl Grey Guest

    Mauricio Freitas wrote:
    > "Earl Grey" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >>> T'was the Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:42:19 +1300 when I remembered IRO
    >>> <> saying something like this:
    >>>
    >>> And then blames Windows for being susceptible to viruses! That's like
    >>> you catching AIDS and blaming your immune system for not being able to
    >>> handle it.

    >> Yeah thats a little stupid, the ipods were probably infected by a
    >> Windows test computer that got infected by another Windows computer,
    >> but its definitely not a Windows problem, Windows users who don't
    >> update their antivirus and spyware prevention software are to blame.
    >> Lets point the finger of blame where it really belongs.
    >> %\
    >> So is the problem Windows ? or Windows users ?

    > Or for example the security problem with NVIDIA drivers for Linux. Is it
    > a problem with Linux? Or a problem of Linux users if they install a
    > faulty software?

    Linux users have always known that if it breaks you own both halves
    Earl Grey, Oct 19, 2006
  6. T'was the Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:43:09 +1300 when I remembered Earl Grey
    <> saying something like this:

    >> Or for example the security problem with NVIDIA drivers for Linux. Is it
    >> a problem with Linux? Or a problem of Linux users if they install a
    >> faulty software?

    >Linux users have always known that if it breaks you own both halves

    Funny. Cold comfort perhaps, but still, funny.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Oct 19, 2006
  7. IRO

    Whatever Guest

    On , , Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:42:19 +1300, iPod virus, IRO
    <> wrote:

    >There's been a flurry of excitement because Apple announced that some
    >Video iPods picked up a Windows virus at the Chinese manufacturing
    >plant. This is not a problem for Mac owners, but Windows owners who have
    >bought a Video iPod since 12 Sept should check it with properly updated
    >Anti-Virus software (what other sort is there?)
    >
    >What is scary is this quote from New Scientist:
    >> The statement warns Windows users who may have bought an infected Video iPod
    >> to scan their PC and any mass storage devices ­ such as external hard drives,
    >> USB keys and digital cameras ­ with anti-virus software, as the virus
    >> automatically spreads to these types of hardware.

    >I was left wondering about the digital printing kiosks down at the Mall.
    >What OS do they run on? If Windows lurks within the beast they would be
    >the computing equivalent of an African Truck Stop.

    That fact was pointed out in one of the latest Australian
    computing magazines in a review they did of digital printing
    booths in malls.
    Whatever, Oct 20, 2006
  8. IRO

    Blue Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:42:19 +1300, IRO wrote:

    > but Windows owners who have
    > bought a Video iPod since 12 Sept should check it with properly updated
    > Anti-Virus software (what other sort is there?)

    Never mind
    Blue, Oct 20, 2006
  9. IRO

    Blue Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:42:19 +1300, IRO wrote:

    > What is scary is this quote from New Scientist:
    >> The statement warns Windows users who may have bought an infected Video iPod
    >> to scan their PC and any mass storage devices ­ such as external hard drives,
    >> USB keys and digital cameras ­ with anti-virus software, as the virus
    >> automatically spreads to these types of hardware.

    > I was left wondering about the digital printing kiosks down at the Mall.
    > What OS do they run on? If Windows lurks within the beast they would be
    > the computing equivalent of an African Truck Stop.

    Prey tell what does the African Truck Stop, do and look like?
    Blue, Oct 20, 2006
  10. IRO

    Hugh Watkins Guest

    Blue wrote:

    > On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:42:19 +1300, IRO wrote:
    >

    >>What is scary is this quote from New Scientist:
    >>
    >>>The statement warns Windows users who may have bought an infected Video iPod
    >>>to scan their PC and any mass storage devices ­ such as external hard drives,
    >>>USB keys and digital cameras ­ with anti-virus software, as the virus
    >>>automatically spreads to these types of hardware.

    >>I was left wondering about the digital printing kiosks down at the Mall.
    >>What OS do they run on? If Windows lurks within the beast they would be
    >>the computing equivalent of an African Truck Stop.

    > Prey tell what does the African Truck Stop, do and look like?

    LOL
    spread STD

    Hugh W

    --

    new phone = new daily blog
    http://upsrev622.blogspot.com/

    family history
    http://hughw36.blogspot.com
    Hugh Watkins, Oct 20, 2006
  11. IRO

    IRO Guest

    In article <>, Earl Grey <> wrote:

    > > And then blames Windows for being susceptible to viruses! That's like
    > > you catching AIDS and blaming your immune system for not being able to
    > > handle it.

    > Yeah thats a little stupid, the ipods were probably infected by a
    > Windows test computer that got infected by another Windows computer, but
    > its definitely not a Windows problem, Windows users who don't update
    > their antivirus and spyware prevention software are to blame.
    > Lets point the finger of blame where it really belongs.
    > %\
    > So is the problem Windows ? or Windows users ?

    The mystery is how one test computer on an assembly line got exposed to
    the 'outside world', to pick up a virus. If they were networked, they
    would all be infected, but with only 25 or so complaints, it appears to
    be a very fleeting problem. An inconvenience for anyone affected, but
    their AV software should nail it immediately.

    --
    ~IRO
    (enzed = nz)
    IRO, Oct 20, 2006
  12. IRO

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-10-20, Blue <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:42:19 +1300, IRO wrote:

    >> I was left wondering about the digital printing kiosks down at the Mall.
    >> What OS do they run on? If Windows lurks within the beast they would be
    >> the computing equivalent of an African Truck Stop.

    > Prey tell what does the African Truck Stop, do and look like?

    They've been blamed for the spread of HIV accross that continent.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Oct 21, 2006
  13. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    IRO exclaimed:
    > The mystery is how one test computer on an assembly line got exposed to
    > the 'outside world', to pick up a virus. If they were networked, they
    > would all be infected, but with only 25 or so complaints,

    Weasel words from Apple. They also say "less than 1%" affected, which as
    one person calculated could be 15,000 players.

    Most people would never suspect their iPod (!) as being the source of
    viruses, so it's likely only a small percentage of those affected
    complained.

    Such a cheap shot... Apple's smugness is the only thing that really puts
    me off anymore...

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    Aaron Lawrence, Oct 21, 2006
  14. IRO

    Earl Grey Guest

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    > IRO exclaimed:
    >> The mystery is how one test computer on an assembly line got exposed to
    >> the 'outside world', to pick up a virus. If they were networked, they
    >> would all be infected, but with only 25 or so complaints,

    > Weasel words from Apple. They also say "less than 1%" affected, which as
    > one person calculated could be 15,000 players.
    >
    > Most people would never suspect their iPod (!) as being the source of
    > viruses, so it's likely only a small percentage of those affected
    > complained.
    >
    > Such a cheap shot... Apple's smugness is the only thing that really puts
    > me off anymore...

    Just wait for the Zune ! share your infection by wifi !!
    Earl Grey, Oct 21, 2006
  15. IRO

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >> On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    >> IRO exclaimed:
    >>> The mystery is how one test computer on an assembly line got exposed
    >>> to the 'outside world', to pick up a virus. If they were networked,
    >>> they would all be infected, but with only 25 or so complaints,

    >> Weasel words from Apple. They also say "less than 1%" affected, which
    >> as one person calculated could be 15,000 players.
    >>
    >> Most people would never suspect their iPod (!) as being the source of
    >> viruses, so it's likely only a small percentage of those affected
    >> complained.
    >>
    >> Such a cheap shot... Apple's smugness is the only thing that really
    >> puts me off anymore...
    >>

    > Just wait for the Zune ! share your infection by wifi !!

    Yes, but at least you know it will go away after 3 days, and you won't
    be able to pass it on to anybody else :)
    -=rjh=-, Oct 21, 2006