    Can anyone tell me how to convert .avi files to a format that
    the Apple video ipod will recognise?

    Thanks for your help.

    Gary L T, Oct 13, 2005

  2. Gary L T wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me what type of video files the iPod will recognise?

    H.264 video

    File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov

    Video: Up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline
    Profile up to Level 1.3

    Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio

    MPEG-4 video

    File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov

    Video: Up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple
    Profile

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 13, 2005

  3. Gary L T

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 17:30:06 +1300, "Gary L T" <> wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me what type of video files the iPod will recognise?
    >
    >If you have .avi files from downloading your home movies to your
    >hard drive, do you have to convert these to MPEG4 or similar?
    >
    >Can anyone tell me how to convert .avi files to a format that
    >the Apple video ipod will recognise?
    >
    >Thanks for your help.

    Get a PSP far better and free software, can convert VOB files to MPEG4's

    http://www.pspvideo9.com/

    Most software for the PSP is not Free and can't handle VOB files, this one
    can and its FREE.

    What type of screen is fitted to a iPod..?

    I do hope its not a OLED one with its 2 year life span..

    XP, Oct 13, 2005
  4. Gary L T

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <434de51a$>, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > Gary L T wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me what type of video files the iPod will recognise?

    > H.264 video
    >
    > File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
    >
    > Video: Up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline
    > Profile up to Level 1.3
    >
    > Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio
    >

    > MPEG-4 video
    >
    > File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
    >
    > Video: Up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple
    > Profile
    >
    > Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio

    I thought H.264 was MPEG4 part10 so if the MPEG4 settings are different
    from H.264 is that H.263?

    ChrisOD, Oct 13, 2005
  5. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > Gary L T wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me what type of video files the iPod will recognise?

    > H.264 video
    >
    > File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
    >
    > Video: Up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline
    > Profile up to Level 1.3
    >
    > Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio
    >
    > MPEG-4 video
    >
    > File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
    >
    > Video: Up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple
    > Profile
    >
    > Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio

    Thanks Nathan for this information. I converted one of my home
    movie .avi files to QuickTime 6 (*.mov) with the help of my
    video editing program (Sony Vegas). Although Quicktime played
    the converted movie OK, iTunes 6, could not import the file and
    gave the following error message:

    The file test.mov cannot be imported because it does not appear
    to be a valid exported file.

    Does anyone know whether Apple has produced a conversion
    program that will convert .avi files to the format that iTunes6
    requires? Thanks for your help.

    Gary

    Gary L T, Oct 13, 2005
  6. ChrisOD wrote:
    >>>Can anyone tell me what type of video files the iPod will recognise?

    >>H.264 video
    >>
    >>File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
    >>
    >>Video: Up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline
    >>Profile up to Level 1.3
    >>
    >>Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio
    >>

    >>MPEG-4 video
    >>
    >>File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
    >>
    >>Video: Up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple
    >>Profile
    >>
    >>Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio
    >>

    > I thought H.264 was MPEG4 part10 so if the MPEG4 settings are different
    > from H.264 is that H.263?

    Don't know, this info is from AAPLs web site
    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/creatingvideo.html

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 13, 2005
  7. Gary L T wrote:
    >>>Can anyone tell me what type of video files the iPod will recognise?

    >>H.264 video
    >>File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
    >>Video: Up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline
    >>Profile up to Level 1.3
    >>Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio
    >>
    >>MPEG-4 video
    >>File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
    >>Video: Up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple
    >>Profile
    >>Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio

    > Thanks Nathan for this information. I converted one of my home
    > movie .avi files to QuickTime 6 (*.mov) with the help of my
    > video editing program (Sony Vegas). Although Quicktime played
    > the converted movie OK, iTunes 6, could not import the file and
    > gave the following error message:
    >
    > The file test.mov cannot be imported because it does not appear
    > to be a valid exported file.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether Apple has produced a conversion
    > program that will convert .avi files to the format that iTunes6
    > requires? Thanks for your help.

    Cough up some more $$$ to AAPL and buy QuickTime Pro 7.0.3

    http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/creatingvideo.html

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 13, 2005
  8. Gary L T

    XP Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:21:46 +1300, "Gary L T" <> wrote:

    >"Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >> Gary L T wrote:
    >>> Can anyone tell me what type of video files the iPod will recognise?

    >> H.264 video
    >>
    >> File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
    >>
    >> Video: Up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline
    >> Profile up to Level 1.3
    >>
    >> Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio
    >>
    >> MPEG-4 video
    >>
    >> File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
    >>
    >> Video: Up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple
    >> Profile
    >>
    >> Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio

    >Thanks Nathan for this information. I converted one of my home
    >movie .avi files to QuickTime 6 (*.mov) with the help of my
    >video editing program (Sony Vegas). Although Quicktime played
    >the converted movie OK, iTunes 6, could not import the file and
    >gave the following error message:
    >
    >The file test.mov cannot be imported because it does not appear
    >to be a valid exported file.
    >
    >Does anyone know whether Apple has produced a conversion
    >program that will convert .avi files to the format that iTunes6
    >requires? Thanks for your help.
    >
    >Gary

    Get a PSP, screen is some 2 times bigger and the software is FRE and 1500 Kbps
    video support & H.264 video

    XP, Oct 13, 2005
  9. Gary L T

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 20:11:14 +1300, XP wrote:

    > On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:21:46 +1300, "Gary L T" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> H.264 video
    >>>
    >>> File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
    >>>
    >>> Video: Up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline
    >>> Profile up to Level 1.3
    >>>
    >>> Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio
    >>>
    >>> MPEG-4 video
    >>>
    >>> File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
    >>>
    >>> Video: Up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple
    >>> Profile
    >>>
    >>> Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio

    [snip]

    >>Does anyone know whether Apple has produced a conversion program that
    >>will convert .avi files to the format that iTunes6 requires? Thanks for
    >>your help.
    >>
    >>Gary
    >>

    > Get a PSP, screen is some 2 times bigger and the software is FRE and 1500
    > Kbps video support & H.264 video

    Does PSP have a hard drive?
    Can it fit comfortably in your pocket?

    Murray Symon, Oct 13, 2005
  10. In message <434dff54$>, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > Don't know, this info is from AAPLs web site...

    AAPL ... how DashSlot. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 13, 2005
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <434dff54$>, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >

    >>Don't know, this info is from AAPLs web site...

    > AAPL ... how DashSlot. :)

    Its called a stock ticker code

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 13, 2005
  12. Gary L T

    >> Gary L T wrote:
    >> Does anyone know whether Apple has produced a conversion
    >> program that will convert .avi files to the format that iTunes6
    >> requires? Thanks for your help.

    > Cough up some more $$$ to AAPL and buy QuickTime Pro 7.0.3
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/quicktime/tutorials/creatingvideo.html

    Thanks for this reference, the upgrade costs $US29.99 and Apple says
    (why, that's just 8 cents a day for a year)!

    But Apple is overlooking the fact that people have paid a lot to get
    their iPods, and if this is the only way of successfully converting
    home movie files, it is going to be very unpopular with a lot of people!

    I tried a few other conversion programs, but none of the Mpeg4 Mov
    or h264 avi files were accepted by iTunes 6.

    So if anyone knows of a conversion program that converts .avi to iTunes6
    that works properly, please post details, thanks!

    Gary L T, Oct 13, 2005
  13. Gary L T

    Richard Guest

    Gary L T wrote:

    > Thanks for this reference, the upgrade costs $US29.99 and Apple says
    > (why, that's just 8 cents a day for a year)!
    >
    > But Apple is overlooking the fact that people have paid a lot to get
    > their iPods, and if this is the only way of successfully converting
    > home movie files, it is going to be very unpopular with a lot of people!
    >
    > I tried a few other conversion programs, but none of the Mpeg4 Mov
    > or h264 avi files were accepted by iTunes 6.
    >
    > So if anyone knows of a conversion program that converts .avi to iTunes6
    > that works properly, please post details, thanks!

    Makes the video ipod look like just another halfassed apple product if it only
    takes quicktime... why not the avis that everything else is happy with... only
    apple..

    Richard, Oct 13, 2005
  14. Gary L T

    Mike Kujbida Guest

    Gary L T wrote:
    > "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    >> Gary L T wrote:
    >>> Can anyone tell me what type of video files the iPod will recognise?

    >> H.264 video
    >>
    >> File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
    >>
    >> Video: Up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames per second,
    >> Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3
    >>
    >> Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio
    >>
    >> MPEG-4 video
    >>
    >> File formats: .m4v, .mp4 and .mov
    >>
    >> Video: Up to 2.5 Mbps, 480 x 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple
    >> Profile
    >>
    >> Audio: AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 KHz, stereo audio

    > Thanks Nathan for this information. I converted one of my home
    > movie .avi files to QuickTime 6 (*.mov) with the help of my
    > video editing program (Sony Vegas). Although Quicktime played
    > the converted movie OK, iTunes 6, could not import the file and
    > gave the following error message:
    >
    > The file test.mov cannot be imported because it does not appear
    > to be a valid exported file.
    >
    > Does anyone know whether Apple has produced a conversion
    > program that will convert .avi files to the format that iTunes6
    > requires? Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Gary

    Gary, I haven't had any reason to try this myself but try using the mp4
    option that's in Vegas 6.0c (recently released). This was designed for the
    Sony PSP but it may work for the iPod. Page 312-313 of the manual discusses
    doing this (Tools - Export to PSP).
    You can also try rendering out using the "Sony AVC/AAC (^.mp4)" option.
    If you don't have the newest version of Vegas or the manual, you'll need to
    download both of them. The manual was re-written to reflect the new changes
    such as the addition of miniDVD import capabilities. I can tell you that
    this option works like a charm :)

    Mike

    Mike Kujbida, Oct 13, 2005
  15. Gary L T

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:15:43 +1300, Nathan Mercer <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <434dff54$>, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>

    >>>Don't know, this info is from AAPLs web site...

    >> AAPL ... how DashSlot. :)

    >Its called a stock ticker code

    Have you got shares in AAPL?

    :)

    Craig Shore, Oct 13, 2005
  16. Gary L T

    Gary L T Guest

    "Mike Kujbida" <> wrote in message

    > Gary, I haven't had any reason to try this myself but try using the mp4
    > option that's in Vegas 6.0c (recently released). This was designed for
    > the
    > Sony PSP but it may work for the iPod. Page 312-313 of the manual
    > discusses
    > doing this (Tools - Export to PSP).
    > You can also try rendering out using the "Sony AVC/AAC (^.mp4)" option.
    > If you don't have the newest version of Vegas or the manual, you'll need
    > download both of them. The manual was re-written to reflect the new
    > changes
    > such as the addition of miniDVD import capabilities. I can tell you that
    > this option works like a charm :)

    Thanks for this information Mike, I am still using Vegas 5, so I will need
    to upgrade to Version 6 before long. I guess in the long term it would
    pay to buy QuickTime Pro 7.0.3, but I think Apple would generate more
    ipod sales and customer goodwill if they released a free conversion
    program so that people can watch their home movies on their ipods.
    After all, Apple have supplied free software for people to convert their
    music cds into formats that are compatible with the ipod, so perhaps
    they have done this for video, but we haven't yet found the program?

    Gary

    Gary L T, Oct 13, 2005
  17. Gary L T

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Richard <> wrote:
    >Gary L T wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for this reference, the upgrade costs $US29.99 and Apple says
    >> (why, that's just 8 cents a day for a year)!
    >>
    >> But Apple is overlooking the fact that people have paid a lot to get
    >> their iPods, and if this is the only way of successfully converting
    >> home movie files, it is going to be very unpopular with a lot of people!
    >>
    >> I tried a few other conversion programs, but none of the Mpeg4 Mov
    >> or h264 avi files were accepted by iTunes 6.
    >>
    >> So if anyone knows of a conversion program that converts .avi to iTunes6
    >> that works properly, please post details, thanks!

    >Makes the video ipod look like just another halfassed apple product if it only
    >takes quicktime... why not the avis that everything else is happy with... only
    >apple..

    Yup, Apple keeps on reinventing the wheel. Its not like there hasn't been
    pocket video players for years now. Archos, Sony PSP and others have been
    available for a while now.

    GMAN, Oct 13, 2005
  18. Gary L T

    XP Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 08:11:21 +1300, "Gary L T" <> wrote:

    >"Mike Kujbida" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Gary, I haven't had any reason to try this myself but try using the mp4
    >> option that's in Vegas 6.0c (recently released). This was designed for
    >> the
    >> Sony PSP but it may work for the iPod. Page 312-313 of the manual
    >> discusses
    >> doing this (Tools - Export to PSP).
    >> You can also try rendering out using the "Sony AVC/AAC (^.mp4)" option.
    >> If you don't have the newest version of Vegas or the manual, you'll need
    >> download both of them. The manual was re-written to reflect the new
    >> changes
    >> such as the addition of miniDVD import capabilities. I can tell you that
    >> this option works like a charm :)
    >>

    >Thanks for this information Mike, I am still using Vegas 5, so I will need
    >to upgrade to Version 6 before long. I guess in the long term it would
    >pay to buy QuickTime Pro 7.0.3, but I think Apple would generate more
    >ipod sales and customer goodwill if they released a free conversion
    >program so that people can watch their home movies on their ipods.
    >After all, Apple have supplied free software for people to convert their
    >music cds into formats that are compatible with the ipod, so perhaps
    >they have done this for video, but we haven't yet found the program?
    >
    >Gary

    Why not try the Free PSP one..

    http://www.pspvideo9.com/

    XP, Oct 13, 2005
  19. from http://diversifiedmultimedia.com/

    New versions of Video Vault™ and Video Vault™ PVP to support
    Apple's Video iPod!

    Key Features:
    Import DVDs, VCDs, SVCDs, Analog/Digital Camcorder Tapes
    Import AVI, Mpeg1, Mpeg2, Mpeg4, ASF, WMV, DVR-MS, and many more file
    types
    Export directly to the Video iPod
    Completely Organize your collection, including thumbnails and genres
    Overlay Subtitles right on top of the video!
    Complete Audio and Subtitle Language Selection!
    Directly connects to the iPod including ability to delete directly
    within Video Vault™ !

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 14, 2005
  20. Gary L T

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>, "Gary L T" <> wrote:

    > "Mike Kujbida" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Gary, I haven't had any reason to try this myself but try using the mp4
    > > option that's in Vegas 6.0c (recently released). This was designed for
    > > the
    > > Sony PSP but it may work for the iPod. Page 312-313 of the manual
    > > discusses
    > > doing this (Tools - Export to PSP).
    > > You can also try rendering out using the "Sony AVC/AAC (^.mp4)" option.
    > > If you don't have the newest version of Vegas or the manual, you'll need
    > > download both of them. The manual was re-written to reflect the new
    > > changes
    > > such as the addition of miniDVD import capabilities. I can tell you that
    > > this option works like a charm :)
    > >

    > Thanks for this information Mike, I am still using Vegas 5, so I will need
    > to upgrade to Version 6 before long. I guess in the long term it would
    > pay to buy QuickTime Pro 7.0.3, but I think Apple would generate more
    > ipod sales and customer goodwill if they released a free conversion
    > program so that people can watch their home movies on their ipods.
    > After all, Apple have supplied free software for people to convert their
    > music cds into formats that are compatible with the ipod, so perhaps
    > they have done this for video, but we haven't yet found the program?

    Just for fun I tried converting the Serenity trailer uwing the "Export
    Movie to iPod" option in QuickTime Player. It made a 320x181 pixel movie
    that iTunes accepts fine, and looks good (as usual) played at double
    size but pretty crappy when playeed full screen (1600x1200 :p ). It's
    12 MB is size for 2:19. (the original was 22.8 MB)

    Now I just need an iPod to try it on...

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Oct 14, 2005