    have FireWire and only have USB 1.

    Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?

    Thamks - Joe

    Joe Black, Dec 17, 2004

  2. "Joe Black" <> wrote in message
    news:eWxwd.28372$...
    > Hi
    >
    > I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for Christmas.
    > The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for connectivity. I
    > don't
    > have FireWire and only have USB 1.
    >
    > Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?
    >
    > Thamks - Joe

    I can use my usb2.0 devices, on a usb1 connection so should be sweet -as.
    The sales person will give you the correct info anyway

    Jed Meisterdude, Dec 17, 2004

    Jed Meisterdude, Dec 17, 2004
  4. In article <eWxwd.28372$>,
    "Joe Black" <> wrote:

    >I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for Christmas.
    >The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for connectivity. I don't
    >have FireWire and only have USB 1.

    You probably mean USB 1.1.

    >Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?

    It should work, but very s-l-o-w-l-y (like 1/30th the speed). FireWire
    cards are quite cheap now (less than $100, I believe), so you might as
    well get one. Having got one, it will have other uses, such as video
    capture from digital camcorders. You can probably even get a dual
    FireWire/USB 2.0 card.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 17, 2004
  5. In article <eWxwd.28372$>,

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 17, 2004
  6. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro said the following on 18/12/2004 8:08 a.m.:
    > In article <eWxwd.28372$>,
    > "Joe Black" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for Christmas.
    >>The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for connectivity. I don't
    >>have FireWire and only have USB 1.

    > You probably mean USB 1.1.
    >

    >>Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?

    > It should work, but very s-l-o-w-l-y (like 1/30th the speed). FireWire
    > cards are quite cheap now (less than $100, I believe), so you might as
    > well get one. Having got one, it will have other uses, such as video
    > capture from digital camcorders. You can probably even get a dual
    > FireWire/USB 2.0 card.

    The trap here is to watch your PSU loading, Firewire/USB2 cards suck
    juice even when no devices are connected and in several cases have put
    systems bought to me with problems over the top of the PSU rating
    causing those loverly hard to pin down faults.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 17, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 17, 2004
  8. Joe Black

    Dogboy Guest

    Joe Black wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for Christmas.
    > The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for connectivity. I don't
    > have FireWire and only have USB 1.
    >
    > Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?
    >
    > Thamks - Joe

    A younger cousin of mine got an Ipod recently and I (being the family
    tecchie) had the joy of installing it on the family K62-500 with only
    USB 1 running Win ME.

    The only major snag was getting alternative software to load songs on, I
    think I used Epod or something like that. I was expecting USB 1 to
    absolutely crawl on an Ipod but it was fine, a song every few seconds.

    Im sure if you wanted to fill up the entire Ipod hard drive in a single
    go it would take forever but just casual song uploading is fine.

    --
    Dogboy

    Dogboy, Dec 17, 2004
  9. Joe Black

    Dogboy Guest

    Dogboy, Dec 17, 2004
  10. In <> Lawrence D?Oliveiro
    wrote:
    > In article <eWxwd.28372$>,
    > "Joe Black" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I know nothing about iPods but I want to buy one for my son for
    >>Christmas. The specifications mention FireWire 400 or USB 2.0 for
    >>connectivity. I don't have FireWire and only have USB 1.

    > You probably mean USB 1.1.
    >
    >>Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?

    > It should work, but very s-l-o-w-l-y (like 1/30th the speed). FireWire
    > cards are quite cheap now (less than $100, I believe), so you might as
    > well get one. Having got one, it will have other uses, such as video
    > capture from digital camcorders. You can probably even get a dual
    > FireWire/USB 2.0 card.

    FireWire PCI card prices have come down a lot in the last couple of
    years,

    e.g. DSE PCI Card IEEE1394 3 Port $35
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/XH8268

    Dick Smith also have a combination FireWire/USB 2.0 card, as well as FW/
    USB2/SATA and FW/USB2/gigabit ethernet.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Dec 17, 2004
  11. In <> Lawrence D?Oliveiro

    Roger Johnstone, Dec 17, 2004
  12. In article <>,
    Collector»NZ <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro said the following on 18/12/2004 8:08 a.m.:
    >> In article <eWxwd.28372$>,
    >> "Joe Black" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Will USB 1 work or do I have to buy a FireWire card for my computer?

    >> It should work, but very s-l-o-w-l-y (like 1/30th the speed). FireWire
    >> cards are quite cheap now (less than $100, I believe), so you might as
    >> well get one. Having got one, it will have other uses, such as video
    >> capture from digital camcorders. You can probably even get a dual
    >> FireWire/USB 2.0 card.

    >The trap here is to watch your PSU loading, Firewire/USB2 cards suck
    >juice even when no devices are connected and in several cases have put
    >systems bought to me with problems over the top of the PSU rating
    >causing those loverly hard to pin down faults.

    Why would that be? As far as I know, both bus interfaces provide careful
    control over power consumption, and in particular devices have to
    negotiate a power budget before they can use it.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 18, 2004
  13. In article <>,

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 18, 2004
  14. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro said the following on 18/12/2004 4:42 p.m.:
    > In article <>,
    > Collector»NZ <> wrote:
    >

    >>Lawrence D¹Oliveiro said the following on 18/12/2004 8:08 a.m.:

    >>>It should work, but very s-l-o-w-l-y (like 1/30th the speed). FireWire
    >>>cards are quite cheap now (less than $100, I believe), so you might as
    >>>well get one. Having got one, it will have other uses, such as video
    >>>capture from digital camcorders. You can probably even get a dual
    >>>FireWire/USB 2.0 card.

    >>The trap here is to watch your PSU loading, Firewire/USB2 cards suck
    >>juice even when no devices are connected and in several cases have put
    >>systems bought to me with problems over the top of the PSU rating
    >>causing those loverly hard to pin down faults.

    > Why would that be? As far as I know, both bus interfaces provide careful
    > control over power consumption, and in particular devices have to
    > negotiate a power budget before they can use it.

    yes sink devices have to negoitiate with the hub, but the hub does no
    negoitaition with the PSU so can attempt to draew more than it can supply.
    An example of real world experiance vs theory.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 18, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 18, 2004
  16. In article <>,
    Collector»NZ <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro said the following on 18/12/2004 4:42 p.m.:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Collector»NZ <> wrote:

    >>>The trap here is to watch your PSU loading, Firewire/USB2 cards suck
    >>>juice even when no devices are connected and in several cases have put
    >>>systems bought to me with problems over the top of the PSU rating
    >>>causing those loverly hard to pin down faults.

    >> Why would that be? As far as I know, both bus interfaces provide careful
    >> control over power consumption, and in particular devices have to
    >> negotiate a power budget before they can use it.

    >yes sink devices have to negoitiate with the hub, but the hub does no
    >negoitaition with the PSU so can attempt to draew more than it can supply.
    >An example of real world experiance vs theory.

    Was this a problem with USB or FireWire? I suspect FireWire is a bit
    better at managing the power budget.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 18, 2004
  17. In article <>,

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 18, 2004
  18. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro said the following on 18/12/2004 6:53 p.m.:
    > In article <>,
    > Collector»NZ <> wrote:
    >

    >>Lawrence D¹Oliveiro said the following on 18/12/2004 4:42 p.m.:

    >>>Why would that be? As far as I know, both bus interfaces provide careful
    >>>control over power consumption, and in particular devices have to
    >>>negotiate a power budget before they can use it.

    >>yes sink devices have to negoitiate with the hub, but the hub does no
    >>negoitaition with the PSU so can attempt to draew more than it can supply.
    >>An example of real world experiance vs theory.

    > Was this a problem with USB or FireWire? I suspect FireWire is a bit
    > better at managing the power budget.

    Dosnt matter, neither manage the demand on the PSU, they both expect the
    PSU to meet its max requirement, if the PSU is underrated it dosnt know
    and cant manage it.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 18, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 18, 2004
  20. Joe Black

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:

    > Why would that be? As far as I know, both bus interfaces provide careful
    > control over power consumption, and in particular devices have to
    > negotiate a power budget before they can use it.

    I was under the impression that the power detailing of devices was only used on
    laptops to let the battery gauge give a realistic time to rundown.

    I know that if you plug things in that just suck power like the nokia phone
    charger and the AA battery charger and a USB fan that the time to last in the
    system tray doesnt change even tho you are pulling close to another amp from the
    battery.

    Richard, Dec 18, 2004