Ipod Shuffle

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Oct 2, 2006.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    My $deity, how good is this.
    I won (yes won) an ipod shuffle a week or so back, got it from the courier
    this morning.
    I have read a bit on the net about these things and linux, but wasnt really
    sure if I was going be able to store audios files on it or not (well OK I
    could boot to the windows partition and install itunes 5.0 or better but
    wheres the fun in that :\)
    So I bung the damn thing into one of my USB ports to see what happens
    Frikkin [K]ubuntu spots it and mounts the damn thing!!!!
    /dev/sda1 on /media/sda1 type vfat
    (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8)

    wooohooo!!!
    Next thing to check, what software is available for ipods
    $ apt-cache search ipod
    libgpod-dev - a library to read and write songs and artwork to an iPod
    libgpod0 - a library to read and write songs and artwork to an iPod
    rhythmbox - music player and organizer for GNOME
    rhythmbox-dbg - music player and organizer for GNOME
    banshee - Audio Management and Playback application
    banshee-daap - Audio Management and Playback application (DAAP sharing
    plugin)
    gnupod-tools - command-line tools for the iPod family of portable music
    players
    gtkpod - manage songs and playlists on an Apple iPod
    ipod - tool for retrieving informations from iPods
    ipodder - a podcast receiver
    ipodslave - kio-slave for ipods
    ipodslave-dev - devlopment files for ipodslave kio-slave
    libgpod-common - a library to read and write songs and artwork to an iPod
    libipod-cil - CLI library for accessing iPods
    libipoddevice-dev - library for retrieving informations from iPods
    libipoddevice0 - library for retrieving informations from iPods
    libipodui-cil - CLI library for accessing iPods (GUI helpers)
    libmac-ipod-gnupod-perl - access your ipod using perl
    monodoc-ipod-manual - compiled XML documentation for ipod-sharp
    sodipodi - Vector based drawing program
    gtkpod-aac - manage songs and playlists on an Apple iPod
    amarok - versatile and easy to use audio player for KDE

    So I install gtkpod which adds a wee icon in start | multimedia
    Now.. I need some audio files to load on it!!!

    Further I better get to the point...
    How many people have played with these things on Linux?
    It *looks* to me a simple block device that I can read or write to my hearts
    content?
    And.. if I fry it, how do I fix it <G>

    --
    Fry: Ha! Crazy theories, one; regular theories, a million.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Oct 2, 2006

  2. Shane

    Earl Grey Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > My $deity, how good is this.
    > I won (yes won) an ipod shuffle a week or so back, got it from the courier
    > this morning.
    > I have read a bit on the net about these things and linux, but wasnt really
    > sure if I was going be able to store audios files on it or not (well OK I
    > could boot to the windows partition and install itunes 5.0 or better but
    > wheres the fun in that :\)
    > So I bung the damn thing into one of my USB ports to see what happens
    > Frikkin [K]ubuntu spots it and mounts the damn thing!!!!
    > /dev/sda1 on /media/sda1 type vfat
    > (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8)
    >
    > wooohooo!!!
    > Next thing to check, what software is available for ipods
    > $ apt-cache search ipod
    > libgpod-dev - a library to read and write songs and artwork to an iPod
    > libgpod0 - a library to read and write songs and artwork to an iPod
    > rhythmbox - music player and organizer for GNOME
    > rhythmbox-dbg - music player and organizer for GNOME
    > banshee - Audio Management and Playback application
    > banshee-daap - Audio Management and Playback application (DAAP sharing
    > plugin)
    > gnupod-tools - command-line tools for the iPod family of portable music
    > players
    > gtkpod - manage songs and playlists on an Apple iPod
    > ipod - tool for retrieving informations from iPods
    > ipodder - a podcast receiver
    > ipodslave - kio-slave for ipods
    > ipodslave-dev - devlopment files for ipodslave kio-slave
    > libgpod-common - a library to read and write songs and artwork to an iPod
    > libipod-cil - CLI library for accessing iPods
    > libipoddevice-dev - library for retrieving informations from iPods
    > libipoddevice0 - library for retrieving informations from iPods
    > libipodui-cil - CLI library for accessing iPods (GUI helpers)
    > libmac-ipod-gnupod-perl - access your ipod using perl
    > monodoc-ipod-manual - compiled XML documentation for ipod-sharp
    > sodipodi - Vector based drawing program
    > gtkpod-aac - manage songs and playlists on an Apple iPod
    > amarok - versatile and easy to use audio player for KDE
    >
    > So I install gtkpod which adds a wee icon in start | multimedia
    > Now.. I need some audio files to load on it!!!
    >
    > Further I better get to the point...
    > How many people have played with these things on Linux?
    > It *looks* to me a simple block device that I can read or write to my hearts
    > content?
    > And.. if I fry it, how do I fix it <G>

    oooooooooh nooo !
    Its completely locked in to itms, itunes, closed proprietary formats and
    evil monopolies
    ;-)
    You can write to it as a block device, but it needs an external app like
    gtkpod to manage its database file.
    Which probably isn't as important to a shuffle as to an ipod with a
    screen and menus
    Earl Grey, Oct 2, 2006

  3. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:

    > oooooooooh nooo !
    > Its completely locked in to itms, itunes, closed proprietary formats and
    > evil monopolies
    > ;-)
    > You can write to it as a block device, but it needs an external app like
    > gtkpod to manage its database file.
    > Which probably isn't as important to a shuffle as to an ipod with a
    > screen and menus

    (assumes the device is mounted)
    Step 1:
    [Write the file system to the iPod]
    On the gtkpod its File | Create Ipod's directorys

    Step 2:
    [Gather Audio files for writing]
    Select iPod
    Add the files with the files button (Duh!)

    Step 3:
    [Write the files to the iPod]
    Click Sync button

    KDE detected my shuffle as soon as I plugged it in (as posted previously)
    but I told KDE to do nothing when it detected the plugin
    I edited /etc/fstab to make mounting betterer with the following line
    /dev/sda1 /media/ipod vfat
    rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8
    0 0

    Note: I mounted the iPod at /media/ipod, not /media/sda1, as was default.
    Gtkpod looks for /media/ipod for writing directorys

    Unplug, and press play!
    (Hope the kids like my lectures on the iPod ... muahahahahahahaha >:)

    --
    Bender: What's this water made of? Ice? Screw this!

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Oct 2, 2006
  4. Shane

    Earl Grey Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >

    >>oooooooooh nooo !
    >>Its completely locked in to itms, itunes, closed proprietary formats and
    >>evil monopolies
    >>;-)
    >>You can write to it as a block device, but it needs an external app like
    >>gtkpod to manage its database file.
    >>Which probably isn't as important to a shuffle as to an ipod with a
    >>screen and menus

    > (assumes the device is mounted)
    > Step 1:
    > [Write the file system to the iPod]
    > On the gtkpod its File | Create Ipod's directorys
    >
    > Step 2:
    > [Gather Audio files for writing]
    > Select iPod
    > Add the files with the files button (Duh!)
    >
    > Step 3:
    > [Write the files to the iPod]
    > Click Sync button
    >

    > KDE detected my shuffle as soon as I plugged it in (as posted previously)
    > but I told KDE to do nothing when it detected the plugin
    > I edited /etc/fstab to make mounting betterer with the following line
    > /dev/sda1 /media/ipod vfat
    > rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8
    > 0 0
    >
    > Note: I mounted the iPod at /media/ipod, not /media/sda1, as was default.
    > Gtkpod looks for /media/ipod for writing directorys
    >

    > Unplug, and press play!
    > (Hope the kids like my lectures on the iPod ... muahahahahahahaha >:)

    Just out of interest
    Does gtkpod allow you to copy your tracks back off the ipod with the
    correct tags ?
    Earl Grey, Oct 2, 2006
  5. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Earl Grey wrote:
    >>

    >>>oooooooooh nooo !
    >>>Its completely locked in to itms, itunes, closed proprietary formats and
    >>>evil monopolies
    >>>;-)
    >>>You can write to it as a block device, but it needs an external app like
    >>>gtkpod to manage its database file.
    >>>Which probably isn't as important to a shuffle as to an ipod with a
    >>>screen and menus

    >> (assumes the device is mounted)
    >> Step 1:
    >> [Write the file system to the iPod]
    >> On the gtkpod its File | Create Ipod's directorys
    >>
    >> Step 2:
    >> [Gather Audio files for writing]
    >> Select iPod
    >> Add the files with the files button (Duh!)
    >>
    >> Step 3:
    >> [Write the files to the iPod]
    >> Click Sync button
    >>

    >> KDE detected my shuffle as soon as I plugged it in (as posted previously)
    >> but I told KDE to do nothing when it detected the plugin
    >> I edited /etc/fstab to make mounting betterer with the following line
    >> /dev/sda1 /media/ipod vfat

    rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8
    >> 0 0
    >>
    >> Note: I mounted the iPod at /media/ipod, not /media/sda1, as was default.
    >> Gtkpod looks for /media/ipod for writing directorys
    >>

    >> Unplug, and press play!
    >> (Hope the kids like my lectures on the iPod ... muahahahahahahaha >:)
    >>

    > Just out of interest
    > Does gtkpod allow you to copy your tracks back off the ipod with the
    > correct tags ?

    TBH Im not sure if I copied the files onto the shuffle with the correct tags
    But when I read from the iPOD (which has been umounted, played with and
    remounted) then all the files I copied onto it have their artist/album/etc
    as written to the device
    If you post a test I'll have a look at it tomorrow afternoon

    --
    Professor Farnsworth: Astonishing! I must have created a parallel universe.
    Alternate Farnsworth: Baldercrap! I created your universe. All you created

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Oct 2, 2006
  6. In message <efqhso$fpm$>, Shane wrote:

    > KDE detected my shuffle as soon as I plugged it in (as posted previously)
    > but I told KDE to do nothing when it detected the plugin
    > I edited /etc/fstab to make mounting betterer with the following line
    > /dev/sda1 /media/ipod vfat

    The trouble with that is "sda1" is a very generic device name. Your hard
    drive is PATA, isn't it? Because SATA (and SCSI) hard drives would
    have "sd" names as well. So if you added one of those to your machine, it
    would take over the sda1 name, then when you plugged in your iPod, it would
    become sda2.

    And in future Linux kernels, ALL hard drives may end up with "sd" names, no
    more "hd" ones.

    What you should really do is set up a udev rule that recognizes your iPod by
    its vendor ID, or device type, or serial number, or something like that,
    and automatically mounts it on /media/ipod when you plug it in.

    Disclaimer: I've read a bit about udev rules, but I've never actually
    written one.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 6, 2006
  7. In message <efqbbb$457$>, Shane wrote:

    > $ apt-cache search ipod

    Hey, you're not supposed to use powerful system commands with no Dimdows
    equivalent. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 6, 2006
  8. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <efqhso$fpm$>, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> KDE detected my shuffle as soon as I plugged it in (as posted previously)
    >> but I told KDE to do nothing when it detected the plugin
    >> I edited /etc/fstab to make mounting betterer with the following line
    >> /dev/sda1 /media/ipod vfat

    > The trouble with that is "sda1" is a very generic device name. Your hard
    > drive is PATA, isn't it? Because SATA (and SCSI) hard drives would
    > have "sd" names as well. So if you added one of those to your machine, it
    > would take over the sda1 name, then when you plugged in your iPod, it
    > would become sda2.
    >
    > And in future Linux kernels, ALL hard drives may end up with "sd" names,
    > no more "hd" ones.
    >
    > What you should really do is set up a udev rule that recognizes your iPod
    > by its vendor ID, or device type, or serial number, or something like
    > that, and automatically mounts it on /media/ipod when you plug it in.
    >
    > Disclaimer: I've read a bit about udev rules, but I've never actually
    > written one.

    Actually that has been in the back of my mind. When I get a spare minute
    (which I dont get a lot of these days) I *will* go back over the issue and
    clean up what is clearly a nasty hack

    --
    "Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy."

    By: "Joseph Campbell"

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Oct 6, 2006
  9. Shane

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-10-06, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <efqhso$fpm$>, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> KDE detected my shuffle as soon as I plugged it in (as posted previously)
    >> but I told KDE to do nothing when it detected the plugin
    >> I edited /etc/fstab to make mounting betterer with the following line
    >> /dev/sda1 /media/ipod vfat

    > The trouble with that is "sda1" is a very generic device name. Your hard
    > drive is PATA, isn't it? Because SATA (and SCSI) hard drives would
    > have "sd" names as well. So if you added one of those to your machine, it
    > would take over the sda1 name, then when you plugged in your iPod, it would
    > become sda2.

    some kernel versions call SATA drives hdX
    (disclaimer: dunno what happens if you hook them to a SA-SCSI controller)

    > And in future Linux kernels, ALL hard drives may end up with "sd" names, no
    > more "hd" ones.

    yeah? I had the impression that it was the newer kernels callsing SATA
    drives hdX

    > What you should really do is set up a udev rule that recognizes your iPod by
    > its vendor ID, or device type, or serial number, or something like that,
    > and automatically mounts it on /media/ipod when you plug it in.
    >
    > Disclaimer: I've read a bit about udev rules, but I've never actually
    > written one.

    I tried once... or was that hotplug? gave up in the end.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Oct 7, 2006
  10. In message <eg6vh2$925$>, jasen wrote:

    > On 2006-10-06, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> And in future Linux kernels, ALL hard drives may end up with "sd" names,
    >> no more "hd" ones.

    > yeah? I had the impression that it was the newer kernels callsing SATA
    > drives hdX

    How much newer? I'm currently running a 2.6.18 kernel on this box, and my
    SATA hard drive is still called /dev/sda.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 7, 2006
  11. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Disclaimer: I've read a bit about udev rules, but I've never actually
    > written one.

    Theres an excellent tute at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=168221
    Using that framework I wrote the following udev rule
    at /etc/udev/rules.d/60-ipod.rules

    BUS=="usb", SYSFS{product}=="iPod ",
    KERNEL=="sd?1",NAME="ipod",SYMLINK="ipod"

    The name is important, its where the ipod is mounted in /dev and /media The
    bus and SYSFS{product} are for identifying the device when it plugs in. The
    KERNEL is the device node (the ? gives us the flexibility you mentioned)

    Finally all I had to do was plug the shuffle in, and adjust the preferences
    of gtkPod to use that mount point

    --
    "Applying computer technology is simply finding the right wrench to
    pound in the correct screw."

    By: " unknown"

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Oct 8, 2006
  12. In message <eg5ek4$9bm$>, I wrote:

    > The trouble with that is "sda1" is a very generic device name. Your hard
    > drive is PATA, isn't it? Because SATA (and SCSI) hard drives would
    > have "sd" names as well. So if you added one of those to your machine, it
    > would take over the sda1 name, then when you plugged in your iPod, it
    > would become sda2.

    Sorry, that "sda2" should be "sdb1". :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 8, 2006