    store photos until they get home. I think the largest is 40gb.

    Regards,
    Roy
    Roy, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Roy

    [BnH] Guest

    I heard they are damn slow even on the 4G iPOD .
    I was thinking of grabbing one too .. but the slow speed made me think.
    How fast can you unload a 1GB card?

    =bob=

    [BnH], Oct 19, 2004

  3. Roy

    Eric Gill Guest

    "Roy" <> wrote in

    > Hi all,
    > I have just discovered the delights of an "iPod" as a means of
    > saving &
    > playing mp3 music. I have also discovered that not only can you save
    > your Outlook/Express address book to it, you can also buy an add-on
    > that will allow you to save digital photographs. I thought that this
    > may interest anyone who likes taking their music on holiday and would
    > like to be able to store photos until they get home.

    Yes, it would be wonderful but for it's competition doing a better job.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041005/index.html

    Eric Gill, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Roy

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Eric Gill" <> wrote in message
    > "Roy" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > > I have just discovered the delights of an "iPod" as a means of
    > > saving &
    > > playing mp3 music. I have also discovered that not only can you save
    > > your Outlook/Express address book to it, you can also buy an add-on
    > > that will allow you to save digital photographs. I thought that this
    > > may interest anyone who likes taking their music on holiday and would
    > > like to be able to store photos until they get home.

    > Yes, it would be wonderful but for it's competition doing a better job.
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041005/index.html

    Yep, the USB port for plugging in your camera is nice. So, too, are the
    players than have slots for CF and other memory cards for downloading
    images. I'd prefer that approach to having to plug in the camera, but both
    are better than having to buy (and haul) an additional memory-card adapter
    for the iPod.

    Mark
    Mark Weaver, Oct 19, 2004
  5. Roy

    Eric Gill Guest

    "Mark Weaver" <> wrote in

    > "Eric Gill" <> wrote in message
    >> "Roy" <> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Hi all,
    >> > I have just discovered the delights of an "iPod" as a means of
    >> > saving &
    >> > playing mp3 music. I have also discovered that not only can you
    >> > save your Outlook/Express address book to it, you can also buy an
    >> > add-on that will allow you to save digital photographs. I thought
    >> > that this may interest anyone who likes taking their music on
    >> > holiday and would like to be able to store photos until they get
    >> > home.

    >> Yes, it would be wonderful but for it's competition doing a better
    >> job.
    >>
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041005/index.html
    >>

    > Yep, the USB port for plugging in your camera is nice. So, too, are
    > the players than have slots for CF and other memory cards for
    > downloading images. I'd prefer that approach to having to plug in the
    > camera, but both are better than having to buy (and haul) an
    > additional memory-card adapter for the iPod.

    Concur, though the rather nice screen and built-in navigation and review of
    pics is a large factor in my liking it.

    Of course, it doesn't do RAW, but I'm shooting JPEG+RAW for the convenience
    anyways.

    I wonder if any propellor head will develop a WiFi adaptor...
    Eric Gill, Oct 19, 2004
  6. Roy

    Bob Snyder Guest

    "Roy" <> writes:

    > allow you to save digital photographs. I thought that this may interest
    > anyone who likes taking their music on holiday and would like to be able to
    > store photos until they get home. I think the largest is 40gb.

    Note that there is a rumor of a 60GB "photo" iPod at Think Secret:
    http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0410photoipod.html

    Bob
    Bob Snyder, Oct 19, 2004
  7. Roy

    Bob Haar Guest

    On 2004/10/19 10:03 AM, "Mark Weaver" <> wrote:

    > "Eric Gill" <> wrote in message
    >> "Roy" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I have just discovered the delights of an "iPod" as a means of
    >>> saving &
    >>> playing mp3 music. I have also discovered that not only can you save
    >>> your Outlook/Express address book to it, you can also buy an add-on
    >>> that will allow you to save digital photographs. I thought that this
    >>> may interest anyone who likes taking their music on holiday and would
    >>> like to be able to store photos until they get home.

    >> Yes, it would be wonderful but for it's competition doing a better job.
    >>
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041005/index.html
    >>

    > Yep, the USB port for plugging in your camera is nice. So, too, are the
    > players than have slots for CF and other memory cards for downloading
    > images. I'd prefer that approach to having to plug in the camera, but both
    > are better than having to buy (and haul) an additional memory-card adapter
    > for the iPod.

    How is better to haul a image storage device and an iPod (for music) than an
    iPod and a card reader? If I am already going to take along an iPod, why
    not have it do double duty?

    Or what would be worse is an image storage device and an iPod and a Palm and
    a cell phone. Where is the convergence that we have been promised for years
    where a single pocket-sized device will do everything.

    I considered the Belkin Media Reader add-on for an iPod but decided to wait
    for the next generation of iPods, hoping that they will have a sceen capable
    of graphics comparable to a Palm or PocketPC device.
    Bob Haar, Oct 19, 2004
  8. Roy

    Eric Gill Guest

    Bob Haar <> wrote in

    > How is better to haul a image storage device and an iPod (for music)
    > than an iPod and a card reader?

    It's not.

    However, I have no idea where that came from. There are a number of players
    that do both - without the extra hardware the iPod needs. That was the
    point.

    <snip>
    Eric Gill, Oct 20, 2004
  9. Roy

    Bob Haar Guest

    On 2004/10/19 10:26 PM, "Eric Gill" <> wrote:

    > Bob Haar <> wrote in
    >

    >> How is better to haul a image storage device and an iPod (for music)
    >> than an iPod and a card reader?

    > It's not.
    >
    > However, I have no idea where that came from.

    It was in response to the previous comment that disparaged the iPod+media
    reader on the basis of the increased size/weight over a dedicated image
    storage device. My point is that if I am already carrying a device with mss
    storage capabilities, I would prefer to use that to also store my digital
    images.

    >There are a number of players
    > that do both - without the extra hardware the iPod needs. That was the
    > point.

    Really? I have been looking for such a device for several months. If you can
    recommend one, I may well buy it. However, my requirements are that it be
    able to copy images from CF card and later transfer them to my computer, and
    that it be functionally equivalent to an iPod. I am willing to sacrifice a
    bit of weight and even the elegant design of the iPod as long as it works
    the same.

    If it can replace my Palm T3 as well, I would really be pleased.

    By best hope so far is the rumored next generation iPods that "may" have
    image display and storage capabilities.
    Bob Haar, Oct 24, 2004
  10. Roy

    Eric Gill Guest

    Bob Haar <> wrote in

    > On 2004/10/19 10:26 PM, "Eric Gill" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Bob Haar <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> How is better to haul a image storage device and an iPod (for music)
    >>> than an iPod and a card reader?

    >> It's not.
    >>
    >> However, I have no idea where that came from.

    > It was in response to the previous comment that disparaged the
    > iPod+media reader on the basis of the increased size/weight over a
    > dedicated image storage device. My point is that if I am already
    > carrying a device with mss storage capabilities, I would prefer to use
    > that to also store my digital images.
    >
    >>There are a number of players
    >> that do both - without the extra hardware the iPod needs. That was
    >> the point.

    > Really? I have been looking for such a device for several months. If
    > you can recommend one, I may well buy it.

    I've already posted one example:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041005/index.html

    > However, my requirements are
    > that it be able to copy images from CF card and later transfer them to
    > my computer, and that it be functionally equivalent to an iPod.

    Why settle?

    > I am
    > willing to sacrifice a bit of weight

    Less than an ounce and about a tenth of an inch thicker.

    > and even the elegant design of
    > the iPod as long as it works the same.

    <shrug> Personal taste.

    > If it can replace my Palm T3 as well, I would really be pleased.

    Maybe. Too early to tell, but, maybe:

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/21/iriver_pmp_ship/

    > By best hope so far is the rumored next generation iPods that "may"
    > have image display and storage capabilities.

    Why wait?
    Eric Gill, Oct 24, 2004
  11. Roy

    Bob Haar Guest

    On 2004/10/23 11:11 PM, "Eric Gill" <> wrote:

    > Bob Haar <> wrote in
    >
    >> On 2004/10/19 10:26 PM, "Eric Gill" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bob Haar <> wrote in

    >>> It's not.
    >>>
    >>> However, I have no idea where that came from.

    >> It was in response to the previous comment that disparaged the
    >> iPod+media reader on the basis of the increased size/weight over a
    >> dedicated image storage device. My point is that if I am already
    >> carrying a device with mss storage capabilities, I would prefer to use
    >> that to also store my digital images.
    >>
    >>> There are a number of players
    >>> that do both - without the extra hardware the iPod needs. That was
    >>> the point.

    >> Really? I have been looking for such a device for several months. If
    >> you can recommend one, I may well buy it.

    > I've already posted one example:
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20041005/index.html
    >
    >> However, my requirements are
    >> that it be able to copy images from CF card and later transfer them to
    >> my computer, and that it be functionally equivalent to an iPod.

    Thanks, but I had looked at the iRiver device already. While it is pretty
    reasonable for people who use Windows PCs, it lacks the functionality to
    make it work for me - Firewire interface, music managed by iTunes on a Mac,
    and direct image loading into iPhoto.
    Bob Haar, Oct 24, 2004
  12. Roy

    Eric Gill Guest

    Bob Haar <> wrote in

    > Thanks, but I had looked at the iRiver device already. While it is
    > pretty reasonable for people who use Windows PCs, it lacks the
    > functionality to make it work for me - Firewire interface, music
    > managed by iTunes on a Mac, and direct image loading into iPhoto.

    Well, if you want to accept those limitations, you'll have to accept what
    Apple offers.

    Which makes the entire conversation moot.
    Eric Gill, Oct 24, 2004
  13. Roy

    Bob Haar Guest

    On 2004/10/19 11:42 AM, "Bob Snyder" <> wrote:

    > "Roy" <> writes:
    >
    >> allow you to save digital photographs. I thought that this may interest
    >> anyone who likes taking their music on holiday and would like to be able to
    >> store photos until they get home. I think the largest is 40gb.

    > Note that there is a rumor of a 60GB "photo" iPod at Think Secret:
    > http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0410photoipod.html

    Apple has now announced the iPod Photo on their web site. It is available in
    40GB and 60 GB versions.

    It is not clear yet if the Belkin Media Reader works with this new model.
    Since the Belkin web site says that the Media reader is out of stock, they
    may be readying a new version.
    Bob Haar, Oct 26, 2004