iPod on Windows problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by S.Nufkin, Jan 2, 2007.

  1. S.Nufkin

    S.Nufkin Guest

    I just spent a good chunk of the weekend getting two iPods to talk
    nicely to their owners' Windows computers. I was a bit non-plussed at
    the dicking around needed compared to the MacOS experience, but we got
    there eventually.... sort of.

    One of them ran into a really weird problem. Everything seems to run
    smoothly, the CD tracks are copied onto the hard disk, then to the Nano
    smoothly, but although the track tempos sound about right, the singers
    all sound like the Chipmunks. As if some sort of weird sampling error is
    involved. Same effect for both MP3 and MP4(AAC).

    The offending PC is a fairly cheap Compaq or HP, I think it has only
    limited audio/video (?"Integrated" ....is that a bad thing?) But was
    unable to confirm exactly what was there. My knowledge of Windows could
    be inscribed on a fag packet with a paint roller.

    Any suggestions? The other HP laptop had no problems at all. (Once we
    convinced her father that he didn't really need to erase the music
    tracks from his computer once they were copied to the iPod. He had used
    about 30GB of an 80GB drive and was getting nervous.)

    --
    S. Nufkin
    [I started life with nothing and still have most of it left]
    S.Nufkin, Jan 2, 2007

  2. S.Nufkin

    whome Guest

    "S.Nufkin" <> wrote in message
    >I just spent a good chunk of the weekend getting two iPods to talk
    > nicely to their owners' Windows computers. I was a bit non-plussed at
    > the dicking around needed compared to the MacOS experience, but we got
    > there eventually.... sort of.
    >
    > One of them ran into a really weird problem. Everything seems to run
    > smoothly, the CD tracks are copied onto the hard disk, then to the Nano
    > smoothly, but although the track tempos sound about right, the singers
    > all sound like the Chipmunks. As if some sort of weird sampling error is
    > involved. Same effect for both MP3 and MP4(AAC).
    >
    > The offending PC is a fairly cheap Compaq or HP, I think it has only
    > limited audio/video (?"Integrated" ....is that a bad thing?) But was
    > unable to confirm exactly what was there. My knowledge of Windows could
    > be inscribed on a fag packet with a paint roller.
    >
    > Any suggestions? The other HP laptop had no problems at all. (Once we
    > convinced her father that he didn't really need to erase the music
    > tracks from his computer once they were copied to the iPod. He had used
    > about 30GB of an 80GB drive and was getting nervous.)
    >
    > --
    > S. Nufkin
    > [I started life with nothing and still have most of it left]

    So, do the CD tracks sound OK on the hp/compaq?

    This would help isolate whether the problem is cd->pc , or pc->ipod.

    What OS are you running?

    I just got an ipod, and there were no problems at all (windows xp). I'm not
    sure how the process could be smoother - no dicking round required.Except
    the hassle of downloading itunes 7 cos it is not supplied. but, i imagine
    you need to do this for a mac too?
    whome, Jan 2, 2007

  3. S.Nufkin

    S.Nufkin Guest

    In article <>,
    "whome" <> wrote:

    > So, do the CD tracks sound OK on the hp/compaq?

    Original music (from several CDs) sounded fine.

    > This would help isolate whether the problem is cd->pc , or pc->ipod.

    It's CD-PC. Within iTunes it's already corrupted.

    > What OS are you running?

    XP Home.

    > I just got an ipod, and there were no problems at all (windows xp). I'm not
    > sure how the process could be smoother - no dicking round required. Except
    > the hassle of downloading itunes 7 cos it is not supplied. but, i imagine
    > you need to do this for a mac too?

    On the Mac the default state is: insert CD, wait until transfer is
    complete, plug in iPod, return CD to case while waiting for transfer to
    complete, eject iPod. Fini. Assorted other more complex variations
    available if required.

    I'm pretty sure iTunes is included with OSX.

    On the 1st PC we had problems with some other application wanting to
    take over playing the CD, that wouldn't go away initially, then would
    launch itself then crash if I tried to have a closer look at what it was
    and what it did.

    On the 2nd laptop, the operation ran more smoothly, but still seemed to
    require more manual steps than I would have expected. I was OK with
    leaving the procedure in the hands of the 11 year old daughter, even if
    her parents were a bit spooked.

    Thanks for taking time to help.... ;^)
    S.Nufkin, Jan 3, 2007