    If you have used this combination, is it robust? How long does it take to
    transfer a 256 Meg CF card that is full of images?

    How long do the batteries last?
    Bob Haar, Aug 11, 2004

  2. In article <BD3EE2EF.10E956%>, Bob Haar
    <> wrote:

    > Is anyone using a Belkin Media Reader with an iPod for image storage? I am
    > looking for some kind of portable mass storage to off load images from my
    > camera. The Nikon CoolWalker looks ideal but I don't feel like spending $500
    > on a single purpose device.
    >
    > With the media Reader, is there a way to verify the image transfer before I
    > erase the CF card? I know I won't be able to view the images on the iPod but
    > can I at least see that the fiels are there and their sizes?
    >
    > If you have used this combination, is it robust? How long does it take to
    > transfer a 256 Meg CF card that is full of images?
    >
    > How long do the batteries last?

    I think their bridge is a better way to go than the reader. The reader
    is overpriced and from what I've read...S L O W.
    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Bob Haar

    Bob Haar Guest

    On 2004/8/10 9:45 PM, "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote:

    > In article <BD3EE2EF.10E956%>, Bob Haar
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is anyone using a Belkin Media Reader with an iPod for image storage? I am
    >> looking for some kind of portable mass storage to off load images from my
    >> camera. The Nikon CoolWalker looks ideal but I don't feel like spending $500
    >> on a single purpose device.

    > I think their bridge is a better way to go than the reader. The reader
    > is overpriced and from what I've read...S L O W.

    Do you mean the Belkin Digital Camera Link product? I rules that out for two
    reasons.

    First, it ties up the camera while the transfer is taking place. With a card
    based transfer, I can swap CF cards and continue to take pictures while the
    other card transfers.

    Second, it works only with the older models of iPod, not the current
    generation of "click wheel" of iPods.
    Bob Haar, Aug 11, 2004
  4. In article <BD4008F9.10EDCE%>, Bob Haar
    <> wrote:

    > Do you mean the Belkin Digital Camera Link product? I rules that out for two
    > reasons.
    >
    > First, it ties up the camera while the transfer is taking place. With a card
    > based transfer, I can swap CF cards and continue to take pictures while the
    > other card transfers.
    >
    > Second, it works only with the older models of iPod, not the current
    > generation of "click wheel" of iPods.

    Well, I've never used either. But the media reader is way overpriced
    and I've heard/read that it's pretty slow.
    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 12, 2004
  5. Bob Haar

    Rich Guest

    OK - i'm assuming youre not bought an IPOD yet.

    why mot get a Flashtrax from smartdisk?

    www.smartdisk.com

    20 GB hard drive with CF cardreader built in - 3.5inch colour tft screen can
    playback jpgs avis movs and costs way less than the ipod alone , never mind
    the addon media reader.

    not to mention you can see your pics on it as well as storing them.

    Rich
    www.digitalmood.co.uk

    Rich, Aug 13, 2004
  6. In article <BD3EE2EF.10E956%>,
    Bob Haar <> wrote:

    > Is anyone using a Belkin Media Reader with an iPod for image storage? I am
    > looking for some kind of portable mass storage to off load images from my
    > camera. The Nikon CoolWalker looks ideal but I don't feel like spending $500
    > on a single purpose device.
    >
    > With the media Reader, is there a way to verify the image transfer before I
    > erase the CF card? I know I won't be able to view the images on the iPod but
    > can I at least see that the fiels are there and their sizes?
    >
    > If you have used this combination, is it robust? How long does it take to
    > transfer a 256 Meg CF card that is full of images?
    >
    > How long do the batteries last?

    The Apple iPod uses the PortalPlayer processor.
    http://www.portalplayer.com/

    The PortalPlayer has a new version out: PortalPlayer Photo Edition.

    Rumor has it that Apple is going to use that thing in an upcoming new
    iPod, or perhaps is already using that version in their new iPod.

    Recently they introduced a new iPod. They took 100 dollars off the
    price, leaving the US $599 spot empty. Rumor has it that this spot is
    going to be filled with a new iPod with possibly these features:
    - Direct camera connection
    - Ability to view the photos on the LCD
    - Possibly even a color LCD, but that uses a lot of power, so that is
    unlikely.

    Personally, I will not buy an iPod that needs a Belkin extension to be
    able to read photos from my camera, and where I cannot view photos.
    In my opinion, buy a specialized photo store device, like the sitecom
    cn-604 mediadrive 20gb for about 200 Euro ... But that is one extra
    gadget to carry along while travelling ;-((
    That is why I will just wait and pray for the iPod Photo Edition.

    Wouter

    --

    Wouter F. Wessels
    Gouda, the Netherlands
    Wouter Wessels, Aug 13, 2004
  7. In article <411c6ba4$>, Rich
    <> wrote:

    > OK - i'm assuming youre not bought an IPOD yet.

    No, I've had an iPod for quite some time. Just been looking around for
    the best solution to use it occasionally as a place to dump images for
    temporary storage.
    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 13, 2004
  8. Bob Haar

    Bob Haar Guest

    On 2004/8/13 3:20 AM, "Rich" <> wrote:

    > OK - i'm assuming youre not bought an IPOD yet.

    Don't assume.

    > why mot get a Flashtrax from smartdisk?

    Thanks for the suggestion. The display would be nice to have but I don't
    care to spend that much for a single function device.

    > 20 GB hard drive with CF cardreader built in - 3.5inch colour tft screen can
    > playback jpgs avis movs

    Avi and mov files don't interest me.

    It does claim to play MP3 audio files, but can it handle Apple's iTunes
    downloads directly with doing time consuming format conversions?

    >and costs way less than the ipod alone , never mind
    > the addon media reader.

    Maybe in the UK but the prices look pretty comparable in the US. Both list
    for about $400 in 20 GB size and the iPod is less with an educational
    discount.

    > not to mention you can see your pics on it as well as storing them.

    That would be useful for confirming the transfer but I would not want to
    spend much time viewing pictures on that small screen.
    Bob Haar, Aug 14, 2004