    post in plain text,
    quote only that portion to which you are replying,
    post replies at the bottom.
    Tom Warner, Aug 17, 2005

  2. Tom Warner

    Hal Lowe Guest

    On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:32:33 +0100, (Tom Warner) wrote:

    >I'm new to all this stuff and I thought I'd fool around with RAW images
    >to see what I could learn.
    >
    >So... I've got my shiny new Nikon D50, a fresh sandisk 1 gig SD card and
    >the latest version of iPhoto.
    >
    >I have the USB option set to PTP and I'm using a card reader.
    >
    >iPhoto is still unable to load RAW images.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?
    >
    >TIA
    >Tom

    Hi Tom,

    If you're currently trying to load the images directly from the
    SanDisk, try copying them first to the computer.

    Regards,

    Hal Lowe

    http://www.halogos.com (logo t-shirts, mugs, etc.)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (digiPhoto)
    http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email
    Hal Lowe, Aug 17, 2005

  3. On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:32:33 +0100, Tom Warner <> wrote:
    > I'm new to all this stuff and I thought I'd fool around with RAW images
    > to see what I could learn.
    >
    > So... I've got my shiny new Nikon D50, a fresh sandisk 1 gig SD card and
    > the latest version of iPhoto.
    >
    > I have the USB option set to PTP and I'm using a card reader.
    >
    > iPhoto is still unable to load RAW images.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

    What version of the operating system are you using? Apple's RAW
    converter is an OS-level library, and iPhoto taps into that rather than
    having the capability built-in. I think it was added in 10.3.6 or
    thereabouts. <flips through iPhoto help> Yep, 10.3.6.

    The version can be determined by clicking on the Apple menu in the upper
    right corner and selecting the 'About this Mac' option. If you're
    running a recent version of 10.3, or any version of 10.4, then that's
    not the answer to your problem. Otherwise, try updating the OS.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Aug 17, 2005
  4. Tom Warner

    Guest

    Tom Warner wrote:

    > Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

    Failure to read a manual?

    Failure to collect a raw image?

    Given the dearth of data one can speculate endlessly. Thus my real
    suggestion: your error is posting a question to a newsgroup, when you
    should instead be calling technical support for one (or more) of the
    products you are using...
    , Aug 17, 2005
  5. Tom Warner

    Jim Guest

    "Tom Warner" <> wrote in message
    > I'm new to all this stuff and I thought I'd fool around with RAW images
    > to see what I could learn.
    >
    > So... I've got my shiny new Nikon D50, a fresh sandisk 1 gig SD card and
    > the latest version of iPhoto.
    >
    > I have the USB option set to PTP and I'm using a card reader.
    >
    > iPhoto is still unable to load RAW images.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

    Trying to use iPhoto?
    Why not just buy a card reader and forget about all of those barely working
    programs?
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 17, 2005
  6. Tom Warner

    Tom Warner Guest

    Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:

    > The version can be determined by clicking on the Apple menu in the upper
    > right corner and selecting the 'About this Mac' option. If you're
    > running a recent version of 10.3, or any version of 10.4, then that's
    > not the answer to your problem. Otherwise, try updating the OS.

    Yeah, I've got the latest version 10.4.2.

    Still trying

    All the best,
    Tom
    Tom Warner, Aug 17, 2005
  7. Tom Warner

    kz8rt3 Guest

    In article <1h1g8k6.17y5t6xknprnkN%>,
    (Tom Warner) wrote:

    > So... I've got my shiny new Nikon D50, a fresh sandisk 1 gig SD card and
    > the latest version of iPhoto.

    What version of iPhoto do you have? Only version 5 can read RAW.
    "Latest version" is no help. And make sure you have all the updates.

    http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/import.html

    And if you are using windows I feel sorry for you.

    Be more specific when you post complicated question in the future.

    Oh, and look at this too:

    Well, iPhoto does something sneaky when you import RAW images into your
    iPhoto Library. It tucks away the original RAW file in a separate folder
    and makes a JPEG copy of the file that shows up in your Library. Why is
    this bad? Well, "when you edit a Raw image in iPhoto, you're actually
    just editing the JPEG version, not the original. Thus, each edit you
    make will likely impact the overall quality of the finished product."
    kz8rt3, Aug 17, 2005
  8. Tom Warner

    Charles Guest

    <> wrote:

    > iPhoto is still unable to load RAW images.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

    The D50 is just out. So my guess is that it is not yet supported. I
    have both a Canon 10D and a Canon Rebal XT. It does the 10D but not the
    XT. Not yet supported. RAW is not a standard, every camera company does
    it different and even different on their own different models.

    --
    Charles
    Charles, Aug 18, 2005
  9. On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 19:12:20 +0100, Tom Warner <> wrote:
    > Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:
    >
    >> The version can be determined by clicking on the Apple menu in the upper
    >> right corner and selecting the 'About this Mac' option. If you're
    >> running a recent version of 10.3, or any version of 10.4, then that's
    >> not the answer to your problem. Otherwise, try updating the OS.

    > Yeah, I've got the latest version 10.4.2.
    >
    > Still trying

    So much for that theory. Another possibility is that the RAW format of
    your D50 isn't supported by the Apple converter. According to
    the Nikons supported are the D100, D2H, D70 and Coolpix 8700. If the D50
    uses the same format as one of the cameras on the list (anyone know?),
    you have a chance, otherwise, you either need to use a separate
    converter or wait for Apple to issue an update.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Aug 18, 2005
  10. Tom Warner

    Tom Warner Guest

    Charles <> wrote:

    > RAW is not a standard, every camera company does
    > it different and even different on their own different models.

    Thanks, that's very helpful and I'm beginning to understand now.

    It's not important (I'm importing into PSE 3) but, I was curious when
    iPhoto didn't 'just work'.

    All the best,
    Tom
    Tom Warner, Aug 18, 2005
  11. Tom Warner

    Tom Warner Guest

    Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:

    > the Nikons supported are the D100, D2H, D70 and Coolpix 8700. If the D50
    > uses the same format as one of the cameras on the list (anyone know?),
    > you have a chance, otherwise, you either need to use a separate
    > converter or wait for Apple to issue an update.

    I really didn't want to believe that iPhoto would distinguish between a
    D70 RAW and a D50 RAW but, apparently it does.

    Not to worry,it's a curiosity more than a problem.

    Thanks for your help,

    All the best,
    Tom
    Tom Warner, Aug 18, 2005
  12. Tom Warner

    Kevin Guest

    Tom Warner <> wrote:
    > I really didn't want to believe that iPhoto would distinguish between a
    > D70 RAW and a D50 RAW but, apparently it does.

    Tom,

    According to the review sites, the formats are different: the D50 uses
    uncompressed NEF while the D70 is compressed.

    Not a big difference, but if iPhoto's not written to distinguish them...

    I'd guess that an update will soon appear to resolve the issue.
    Kevin, Aug 18, 2005
  13. Tom Warner

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Tom Warner <> wrote:

    > Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:
    >
    > > the Nikons supported are the D100, D2H, D70 and Coolpix 8700. If the D50
    > > uses the same format as one of the cameras on the list (anyone know?),
    > > you have a chance, otherwise, you either need to use a separate
    > > converter or wait for Apple to issue an update.

    > I really didn't want to believe that iPhoto would distinguish between a
    > D70 RAW and a D50 RAW but, apparently it does.
    >
    > Not to worry,it's a curiosity more than a problem.

    IIRC, iPhoto's RAW support amounts to knowing it can convert them to
    JPEGs, and then doing just that when you open one. I'm pretty sure it
    doesn't let you tweak the image it shows you, and just makes a JPEG for
    you to edit.

    I might be a version or two behind with this info, but that's the
    principle reason I didn't buy iLife way back when, and now I don't
    really care that much, since I have iView Media Pro and Photoshop.
    Paul Mitchum, Aug 18, 2005
  14. Tom Warner

    Chris Brown Guest

    Tom Warner <> wrote:

    >Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

    Yes, you're using iPhoto.

    Seriously though - compared to the other software that Apple ship with their
    machines, I've found iPhoto to be a real letdown. It slows down to a crawl
    if you give it anything other than a small workload to deal with, has a bad
    habit of corrupting its database, and is needlessly capricious in its use of
    disk space.
    Chris Brown, Aug 18, 2005
  15. Tom Warner <> wrote:

    > I'm new to all this stuff and I thought I'd fool around with RAW images
    > to see what I could learn.
    >
    > So... I've got my shiny new Nikon D50, a fresh sandisk 1 gig SD card and
    > the latest version of iPhoto.
    >
    > I have the USB option set to PTP and I'm using a card reader.
    >
    > iPhoto is still unable to load RAW images.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?
    >
    > TIA
    > Tom

    looking up the thread, i know your using tiger (10.4) but what version
    of iphoto do you have? only iphoto5 supports RAW files though the list
    of supported cameras doesn't incude yours.

    Roger
    Roger Merriman, Aug 18, 2005