    Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.

    Would be good to have mor storage capacity though (2Gb - 4Gb at the moment).

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jan 10, 2007

  2. In <> Allistar wrote:
    > Just saw this on the news, check out here:
    >
    > http://images.apple.com/iphone/
    >
    > I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support
    > too.
    >
    > Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.
    >
    > Would be good to have mor storage capacity though (2Gb - 4Gb at the
    > moment).

    Actually it's 4 or 8 GB.

    From Apple's press release:
    "iPhone will be available in the US in June 2007, Europe in late 2007,
    and Asia in 2008, in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (
    US), and will work with either a PC or Mac."

    Those prices are for a 2-year contract though, so what an unencumbered
    iPhone will sell for is anyone's guess. And we probably won't see them
    in NZ for at least a year.

    A few interesting notes:
    It runs OS X. Not Mac OS X, it's just called OS X for the iPhone.
    Finger scrolling through lists has momentum, just like the wheel on the
    Logitech Revolution mice.
    Leave it to Apple to combine phone/web/email/music/video and more, and
    put one button on it. There is only one button on it! :eek:)

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    Roger Johnstone, Jan 10, 2007

  3. Allistar

    Rob Guest

    "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message
    > In <> Allistar wrote:
    >> Just saw this on the news, check out here:
    >>
    >> http://images.apple.com/iphone/
    >>
    >> I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support
    >> too.
    >>
    >> Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.
    >>
    >> Would be good to have mor storage capacity though (2Gb - 4Gb at the
    >> moment).

    > Actually it's 4 or 8 GB.
    >
    > From Apple's press release:
    > "iPhone will be available in the US in June 2007, Europe in late 2007,
    > and Asia in 2008, in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (
    > US), and will work with either a PC or Mac."
    >
    > Those prices are for a 2-year contract though, so what an unencumbered
    > iPhone will sell for is anyone's guess. And we probably won't see them
    > in NZ for at least a year.
    >
    > A few interesting notes:
    > It runs OS X. Not Mac OS X, it's just called OS X for the iPhone.
    > Finger scrolling through lists has momentum, just like the wheel on the
    > Logitech Revolution mice.
    > Leave it to Apple to combine phone/web/email/music/video and more, and
    > put one button on it. There is only one button on it! :eek:)
    >
    > --
    > * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    > * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    > * SCART RGB video cable for Apple IIGS

    It's a very nice unit, however it still looks more of a concept phone, as
    there doesn't appear to be a real usable phone yet that they can show off.I
    wonder how close the final phone will be to the one the one in the flash
    movie. Things that will be a problem will be battery life (of running such a
    big screen), and the durability of the screen, as such a screen could easily
    be damaged. It may take 3 generations of phone before they get everything
    perfect, like the current ipods (apart from not fm radio).
    Rob, Jan 10, 2007
  4. Allistar

    whome Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    > Just saw this on the news, check out here:
    >
    > http://images.apple.com/iphone/
    >
    > I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support
    > too.
    >
    > Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.
    >
    > Would be good to have mor storage capacity though (2Gb - 4Gb at the
    > moment).
    >
    > Allistar.

    Jeez, imagine the screen after a days use. It'll be scratched up to buggery
    if their other products are anything to go by.

    Maybe I should call them and point out this obvious design fault:)

    Looks nice.
    whome, Jan 10, 2007
  5. Allistar

    Rob Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in message

    > "Allistar" <> wrote in message
    >> Just saw this on the news, check out here:
    >>
    >> http://images.apple.com/iphone/
    >>
    >> I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support
    >> too.
    >>
    >> Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.
    >>
    >> Would be good to have mor storage capacity though (2Gb - 4Gb at the
    >> moment).
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > Jeez, imagine the screen after a days use. It'll be scratched up to
    > buggery if their other products are anything to go by.
    >
    > Maybe I should call them and point out this obvious design fault:)
    >
    > Looks nice.

    I am sure they will be selling a whole heap of different skins for it. Maybe
    they should make the screen glass or a similar product.
    Rob, Jan 10, 2007
  6. Allistar

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message
    >> In <> Allistar wrote:
    >>> Just saw this on the news, check out here:
    >>>
    >>> http://images.apple.com/iphone/
    >>>
    >>> I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support
    >>> too.
    >>>
    >>> Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.
    >>>
    >>> Would be good to have mor storage capacity though (2Gb - 4Gb at the
    >>> moment).

    >> Actually it's 4 or 8 GB.
    >>
    >> From Apple's press release:
    >> "iPhone will be available in the US in June 2007, Europe in late 2007,
    >> and Asia in 2008, in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for $599 (
    >> US), and will work with either a PC or Mac."
    >>
    >> Those prices are for a 2-year contract though, so what an unencumbered
    >> iPhone will sell for is anyone's guess. And we probably won't see them
    >> in NZ for at least a year.
    >>
    >> A few interesting notes:
    >> It runs OS X. Not Mac OS X, it's just called OS X for the iPhone.
    >> Finger scrolling through lists has momentum, just like the wheel on the
    >> Logitech Revolution mice.
    >> Leave it to Apple to combine phone/web/email/music/video and more, and
    >> put one button on it. There is only one button on it! :eek:)
    >>
    >> --
    >> * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    >> * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    >> * SCART RGB video cable for Apple IIGS

    > It's a very nice unit, however it still looks more of a concept phone, as
    > there doesn't appear to be a real usable phone yet that they can show off.I
    > wonder how close the final phone will be to the one the one in the flash
    > movie. Things that will be a problem will be battery life (of running such a
    > big screen), and the durability of the screen, as such a screen could easily
    > be damaged. It may take 3 generations of phone before they get everything
    > perfect, like the current ipods (apart from not fm radio).

    It looked pretty real on Jobs' keynote speech today :) An absolute
    must-see. This is a stunning product. I'd like one without the phone
    functionality, just Wifi would be fine.

    Apple introduced this ahead of its June launch because they didn't want
    the FCC to introduce it for them, and it will take that long for FCC
    approval. They don't have to worry about network opreators having to
    approve it because there will only be Cingular (in the US, anyway).

    Battery life is claimed to be 5 hours talk/video/web. 16 hours music.
    -=rjh=-, Jan 10, 2007
  7. Allistar

    -=rjh=- Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    >> "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message

    >>> Actually it's 4 or 8 GB.
    >>>
    >>> From Apple's press release:
    >>> "iPhone will be available in the US in June 2007, Europe in late 2007,
    >>> and Asia in 2008, in a 4GB model for $499 (US) and an 8GB model for
    >>> $599 (
    >>> US), and will work with either a PC or Mac."
    >>>
    >>> Those prices are for a 2-year contract though, so what an unencumbered
    >>> iPhone will sell for is anyone's guess. And we probably won't see them
    >>> in NZ for at least a year.
    >>>
    >>> A few interesting notes:
    >>> It runs OS X. Not Mac OS X, it's just called OS X for the iPhone.
    >>> Finger scrolling through lists has momentum, just like the wheel on the
    >>> Logitech Revolution mice.
    >>> Leave it to Apple to combine phone/web/email/music/video and more, and
    >>> put one button on it. There is only one button on it! :eek:)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    >>> * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    >>> * SCART RGB video cable for Apple IIGS

    >> It's a very nice unit, however it still looks more of a concept phone,
    >> as there doesn't appear to be a real usable phone yet that they can
    >> show off.I wonder how close the final phone will be to the one the one
    >> in the flash movie. Things that will be a problem will be battery life
    >> (of running such a big screen), and the durability of the screen, as
    >> such a screen could easily be damaged. It may take 3 generations of
    >> phone before they get everything perfect, like the current ipods
    >> (apart from not fm radio).
    >>

    > It looked pretty real on Jobs' keynote speech today :) An absolute
    > must-see. This is a stunning product. I'd like one without the phone
    > functionality, just Wifi would be fine.
    >
    > Apple introduced this ahead of its June launch because they didn't want
    > the FCC to introduce it for them, and it will take that long for FCC
    > approval. They don't have to worry about network opreators having to
    > approve it because there will only be Cingular (in the US, anyway).
    >
    > Battery life is claimed to be 5 hours talk/video/web. 16 hours music.

    Oh yeah, this might be the first device widely available with
    multi-touch input - ie, to zoom out when viewing images/web pages you
    pinch your fingers together, just like in Jeff Hann's demo at TED last year.
    -=rjh=-, Jan 10, 2007
  8. Allistar

    Phil Guest

    Allistar wrote, On 10/01/07 7.21 p:
    > I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support too.

    It does look very nice, but I recognise most of the features from the
    Nokia Nseries (which I currently use) but with a much slicker interface.

    Unfortunately, that camera on the back looks pretty weak and it doesn't
    have 3G (but that's on the next version from the sounds of it).

    > Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.

    I doubt it, the announced cost is with a 2-year contract with Cingular.
    And US cellphone companies are used to taking big hits on phone prices
    when offered with contracts (and given how popular this phone will be
    for a while, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't absorbing a few
    hundred dollars).

    Expect to pay *a lot* more for it.

    I personally really like the looks of this phone, but until it gets a
    better camera, 3G, and there's good 3rd party developer support -- I'm
    looking forward to the Nokia N95.

    -Phil
    Phil, Jan 10, 2007
  9. Allistar

    Phil Guest

    Rob wrote, On 10/01/07 9.16 p:
    > It's a very nice unit, however it still looks more of a concept phone, as
    > there doesn't appear to be a real usable phone yet that they can show off.I
    > wonder how close the final phone will be to the one the one in the flash
    > movie. Things that will be a problem will be battery life (of running such a
    > big screen).

    I take it you didn't watch the keynote?

    Steve Jobs' demonstrated all the major features of it, and given they
    want to get it out by June, it'd have to be very close to (if not
    already in) production.

    -Phil
    Phil, Jan 10, 2007
  10. Allistar

    Rob Guest

    "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > Rob wrote, On 10/01/07 9.16 p:
    >> It's a very nice unit, however it still looks more of a concept phone, as
    >> there doesn't appear to be a real usable phone yet that they can show
    >> off.I wonder how close the final phone will be to the one the one in the
    >> flash movie. Things that will be a problem will be battery life (of
    >> running such a big screen).

    > I take it you didn't watch the keynote?
    >
    > Steve Jobs' demonstrated all the major features of it, and given they want
    > to get it out by June, it'd have to be very close to (if not already in)
    > production.
    >
    > -Phil

    I did just have a quick look at the keynote, but how do we actually know it
    was a fully working phone. It is possible that whole thing could have been
    controlled from a back room and they beamed the video to the screen on the
    phone to and scripted the movements. It definitely would have been possible
    to fake it, to make it look like it was working, and would have prevented
    any embarrassing demo glitches. It did have a chunky wire coming out of it,
    so why didn't they use the wifi to send the picture to the projector as it
    is supposed to be wifi capable. Did they have a demo unit that they were
    letting people/reporters try out ?
    Rob, Jan 10, 2007
  11. Allistar

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > "Phil" <> wrote in message
    >> Rob wrote, On 10/01/07 9.16 p:
    >>> It's a very nice unit, however it still looks more of a concept phone, as
    >>> there doesn't appear to be a real usable phone yet that they can show
    >>> off.I wonder how close the final phone will be to the one the one in the
    >>> flash movie. Things that will be a problem will be battery life (of
    >>> running such a big screen).

    >> I take it you didn't watch the keynote?
    >>
    >> Steve Jobs' demonstrated all the major features of it, and given they want
    >> to get it out by June, it'd have to be very close to (if not already in)
    >> production.
    >>
    >> -Phil
    >>

    > I did just have a quick look at the keynote, but how do we actually know it
    > was a fully working phone. It is possible that whole thing could have been
    > controlled from a back room and they beamed the video to the screen on the
    > phone to and scripted the movements. It definitely would have been possible
    > to fake it, to make it look like it was working, and would have prevented
    > any embarrassing demo glitches. It did have a chunky wire coming out of it,
    > so why didn't they use the wifi to send the picture to the projector as it
    > is supposed to be wifi capable. Did they have a demo unit that they were
    > letting people/reporters try out ?

    If you'd watched the keynote, you'd know that there were two parts to
    the demo, in the first, Jobs used the phone standalone (when he phoned
    Jonny Ives :) ) and in the second, he explained the reason for the
    setup with the extra circuit board and the wiring, with the two camera
    views showing what he was doing at the same time as the output was
    displayed on the screen.

    This was way too complicated a demo to script, and in fact Jobs made a
    couple of mistakes which he corrected on the fly. It was for real.
    -=rjh=-, Jan 10, 2007
  12. Allistar

    Scott Lemon Guest

    "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > Allistar wrote, On 10/01/07 7.21 p:
    >> I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support
    >> too.

    > It does look very nice, but I recognise most of the features from the
    > Nokia Nseries (which I currently use) but with a much slicker interface.

    How long have Nokia, Motorola, Sony, Samsung, etc. been making phones now?
    Apple's first phone and it shows their designs and interfaces up for the
    rubbish they are.

    > Unfortunately, that camera on the back looks pretty weak and it doesn't
    > have 3G (but that's on the next version from the sounds of it).
    >
    >> Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.

    > I doubt it, the announced cost is with a 2-year contract with Cingular.
    > And US cellphone companies are used to taking big hits on phone prices
    > when offered with contracts (and given how popular this phone will be for
    > a while, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't absorbing a few hundred
    > dollars).
    >
    > Expect to pay *a lot* more for it.

    At first - remember the Motorola Razr was $1300 or something when it first
    came out, now you get one in every cornflakes packet.

    > I personally really like the looks of this phone, but until it gets a
    > better camera, 3G, and there's good 3rd party developer support

    It's a phone, it's not a PDA.

    I'm guessing the next things you'll see are a) an iPod with the same touch
    screen design but no phone b) a PDA-type device with a slightly bigger
    screen that also runs OS X, that *will* be open to third parties.

    What amazes me is how Apple have come up with an interface like that on a
    device that small, it seems almost like something out of Star Trek. It makes
    Microsoft and Palm look like cavemen chiselling away at stone wheels.

    -- I'm
    > looking forward to the Nokia N95.

    Feh. Another clunker phone with a crappy interface. The bar has been set -
    now watch them all come out with iPhone copies.
    Scott Lemon, Jan 10, 2007
  13. In <1168422165.627959@ftpsrv1> Rob wrote:

    > I did just have a quick look at the keynote, but how do we actually
    > know it was a fully working phone. It is possible that whole thing
    > could have been controlled from a back room and they beamed the video
    > to the screen on the phone to and scripted the movements. It
    > definitely would have been possible to fake it, to make it look like
    > it was working, and would have prevented any embarrassing demo
    > glitches. It did have a chunky wire coming out of it, so why didn't
    > they use the wifi to send the picture to the projector as it is
    > supposed to be wifi capable. Did they have a demo unit that they were
    > letting people/reporters try out ?

    There was a brief report on the TV One news which showed a reporter with
    a working iPhone in his hand. Of course because it was interesting the
    report lasted about 30 seconds, including maybe a 5 second shot of the
    iPhone.

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 10, 2007
  14. Allistar

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Scott Lemon wrote:
    > "Phil" <> wrote in message

    >> Expect to pay *a lot* more for it.

    > At first - remember the Motorola Razr was $1300 or something when it first
    > came out, now you get one in every cornflakes packet.

    Heh, wasn't that because Motorola had underestimated the customer's
    expectations of battery life? :)

    >> I personally really like the looks of this phone, but until it gets a
    >> better camera, 3G, and there's good 3rd party developer support

    > It's a phone, it's not a PDA.
    >
    > I'm guessing the next things you'll see are a) an iPod with the same touch
    > screen design but no phone b) a PDA-type device with a slightly bigger
    > screen that also runs OS X, that *will* be open to third parties.

    Like the UMPC, only done right? And hopefully, at a sensible price. If
    they've already fitted everything into a phone, a tablet device
    shouldn't be much more expensive. It would have a slightly larger
    screen, and USB host support; what else would it need?

    > What amazes me is how Apple have come up with an interface like that on a
    > device that small, it seems almost like something out of Star Trek. It makes
    > Microsoft and Palm look like cavemen chiselling away at stone wheels.

    I'm a Palm owner, but Palm haven't produced a compelling device for me
    to upgrade to for over 3 years; they've concentrated on Treos and walked
    away from everything else, they've had huge problems getting their OS
    sorted (still isn't).

    Watching Jobs' demo, my first thought was that Palm is dead in the
    water, now.

    > -- I'm
    >> looking forward to the Nokia N95.

    > Feh. Another clunker phone with a crappy interface. The bar has been set -
    > now watch them all come out with iPhone copies.

    I guess that is why Jobs pointed out that they had so many patents on
    the iphone, and that they were going to protect them.
    -=rjh=-, Jan 10, 2007
  15. Allistar

    Bystander Guest

    In article <1168422165.627959@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <> wrote:

    > "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > > Rob wrote, On 10/01/07 9.16 p:
    > >> It's a very nice unit, however it still looks more of a concept phone, as
    > >> there doesn't appear to be a real usable phone yet that they can show
    > >> off.I wonder how close the final phone will be to the one the one in the
    > >> flash movie. Things that will be a problem will be battery life (of
    > >> running such a big screen).

    > > I take it you didn't watch the keynote?
    > >
    > > Steve Jobs' demonstrated all the major features of it, and given they want
    > > to get it out by June, it'd have to be very close to (if not already in)
    > > production.
    > >
    > > -Phil
    > >

    > I did just have a quick look at the keynote, but how do we actually know it
    > was a fully working phone. It is possible that whole thing could have been
    > controlled from a back room and they beamed the video to the screen on the
    > phone to and scripted the movements. It definitely would have been possible
    > to fake it, to make it look like it was working, and would have prevented
    > any embarrassing demo glitches. It did have a chunky wire coming out of it,
    > so why didn't they use the wifi to send the picture to the projector as it
    > is supposed to be wifi capable. Did they have a demo unit that they were
    > letting people/reporters try out ?

    David Pogue of the New York Times had a little play with the iPhone and
    a few words with Steve Jobs:

    http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/09/some-hands-on-time-with-the-ipho
    ne/
    --
    Bystander
    Bystander, Jan 10, 2007
  16. Allistar

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 21:16:58 +1300, "Rob" <> wrote:

    >"Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message
    >> In <> Allistar wrote:
    >>> Just saw this on the news, check out here:
    >>>
    >>> http://images.apple.com/iphone/
    >>>
    >>> I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support
    >>> too.
    >>>
    >>> Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.

    T RGB video cable for Apple IIGS

    >It's a very nice unit, however it still looks more of a concept phone, as
    >there doesn't appear to be a real usable phone yet that they can show off.I
    >wonder how close the final phone will be to the one the one in the flash
    >movie. Things that will be a problem will be battery life (of running such a
    >big screen), and the durability of the screen, as such a screen could easily
    >be damaged. It may take 3 generations of phone before they get everything
    >perfect, like the current ipods (apart from not fm radio).

    May be a OLED Screen very little Power but have a very short life, 2 years have been quoted.
    Mathew Good, Jan 10, 2007
  17. Allistar

    Mutlley Guest

    Allistar <> wrote:

    >Just saw this on the news, check out here:
    >
    >http://images.apple.com/iphone/
    >
    >I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support too.
    >
    >Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.
    >
    >Would be good to have mor storage capacity though (2Gb - 4Gb at the moment).
    >
    >Allistar.

    Only $900!!! You sound like a sales droid..
    Mutlley, Jan 10, 2007
  18. Allistar

    Mutlley Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote:

    >It's a very nice unit, however it still looks more of a concept phone, as
    >there doesn't appear to be a real usable phone yet that they can show off.I
    >wonder how close the final phone will be to the one the one in the flash
    >movie. Things that will be a problem will be battery life (of running such a
    >big screen), and the durability of the screen, as such a screen could easily
    >be damaged. It may take 3 generations of phone before they get everything
    >perfect, like the current ipods (apart from not fm radio).

    You can get a better look at how it works here.

    http://www.apple.com/iphone/
    Mutlley, Jan 10, 2007
  19. Allistar

    Rob Guest

    "Bystander" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1168422165.627959@ftpsrv1>, "Rob" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Phil" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > I take it you didn't watch the keynote?
    >> >
    >> > Steve Jobs' demonstrated all the major features of it, and given they
    >> > want
    >> > to get it out by June, it'd have to be very close to (if not already
    >> > in)
    >> > production.
    >> >
    >> > -Phil
    >> >

    >> I did just have a quick look at the keynote, but how do we actually know
    >> it
    >> was a fully working phone. It is possible that whole thing could have
    >> been
    >> controlled from a back room and they beamed the video to the screen on
    >> the
    >> phone to and scripted the movements. It definitely would have been
    >> possible
    >> to fake it, to make it look like it was working, and would have prevented
    >> any embarrassing demo glitches. It did have a chunky wire coming out of
    >> it,
    >> so why didn't they use the wifi to send the picture to the projector as
    >> it
    >> is supposed to be wifi capable. Did they have a demo unit that they were
    >> letting people/reporters try out ?

    > David Pogue of the New York Times had a little play with the iPhone and
    > a few words with Steve Jobs:
    >
    > http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/09/some-hands-on-time-with-the-ipho
    > ne/
    > --
    > Bystander

    Thanks for that link. At least it is going to have a glass like screen
    instead of plastic
    Rob, Jan 11, 2007
  20. Allistar

    Rob Guest

    "Mutlley" <> wrote in message
    > Allistar <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just saw this on the news, check out here:
    >>
    >>http://images.apple.com/iphone/
    >>
    >>I definitely want one - what an awesome product. Has 802.11b/g support
    >>too.
    >>
    >>Only NZ$900 when it comes out here later on this year.
    >>
    >>Would be good to have mor storage capacity though (2Gb - 4Gb at the
    >>moment).
    >>
    >>Allistar.

    > Only $900!!! You sound like a sales droid..

    Thats $900 on a 2 year contract. It may come closer to $2k for a standalone
    handset. It is interesting that apple have got into bed with a call
    provider, as call providers like to discount phones(and even give them away
    for free on a contract), and we all know that apple like to have price
    control over their products so that they aren't sold too cheaply
    Rob, Jan 11, 2007