    Hi

    Which network will the iphone go on

    iphone Vodofone or Telecom

    Possum, Jan 11, 2007

  2. Possum wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Which network will the iphone go on
    >
    > iphone Vodofone or Telecom

    Not Telescums, there network is too outdated to be useful.

    It is a gsm phone

    | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
    Collector»NZ, Jan 11, 2007

  3. Possum

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Possum wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Which network will the iphone go on
    >
    > iphone Vodofone or Telecom

    Vodafone.

    There's a piece in the Herald today pointing out that you won't be able to
    use the Internet capabilities of the iPhone in New Zealand without amassing
    charges of several hundred dollar a month because of our high mobile
    broadband costs.
    Nik Coughlin, Jan 11, 2007
  4. Possum

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:35:38 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
    <> exclaimed:

    >Possum wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Which network will the iphone go on
    >>
    >> iphone Vodofone or Telecom

    >Vodafone.
    >
    >There's a piece in the Herald today pointing out that you won't be able to
    >use the Internet capabilities of the iPhone in New Zealand without amassing
    >charges of several hundred dollar a month because of our high mobile
    >broadband costs.

    There's a 1GB for 49.95 plan on Vodafone which would more than
    suffice. Also, with 3G2 (or whatever they're calling it) coming, this
    will cease to be a problem.

    --
    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F, it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...
    Fred Dagg, Jan 11, 2007
  5. Possum

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:35:38 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >> Possum wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Which network will the iphone go on
    >>>
    >>> iphone Vodofone or Telecom

    >> Vodafone.
    >>
    >> There's a piece in the Herald today pointing out that you won't be
    >> able to use the Internet capabilities of the iPhone in New Zealand
    >> without amassing charges of several hundred dollar a month because
    >> of our high mobile broadband costs.
    >>

    > There's a 1GB for 49.95 plan on Vodafone which would more than
    > suffice. Also, with 3G2 (or whatever they're calling it) coming, this
    > will cease to be a problem.

    Yeah, Vodafone did say in the article that by the time it arrives here, data
    costs will have dropped to a reasonable level.
    Nik Coughlin, Jan 11, 2007
  6. Possum

    whome Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:35:38 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
    >> <> exclaimed:

    >>> Vodafone.
    >>>
    >>> There's a piece in the Herald today pointing out that you won't be
    >>> able to use the Internet capabilities of the iPhone in New Zealand
    >>> without amassing charges of several hundred dollar a month because
    >>> of our high mobile broadband costs.
    >>>

    >> There's a 1GB for 49.95 plan on Vodafone which would more than
    >> suffice. Also, with 3G2 (or whatever they're calling it) coming, this
    >> will cease to be a problem.

    > Yeah, Vodafone did say in the article that by the time it arrives here,
    > data costs will have dropped to a reasonable level.

    I doubt it. Vodafone NZ provide some of the most expensive calls in the
    world.

    The cosy duopoly between telecom and vodafone will ensure costs will remain
    high.

    1gb is such a small amount of data it could be used in just a few hours on
    proper broadband speeds. Then, what do you pay for the rest of the month?
    whome, Jan 11, 2007
  7. In <> whome wrote:

    > 1gb is such a small amount of data it could be used in just a few
    > hours on proper broadband speeds. Then, what do you pay for the rest
    > of the month?

    One gigabyte per month sounds plenty for mobile access. I use about that
    much at home for web browsing, email, newsgroups and the occasional
    download. I suspect most people won't be wanting to run a BitTorrent
    client on their cellphone.

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    Roger Johnstone, Jan 12, 2007
  8. Possum

    Mutlley Guest

    Collector»NZ <> wrote:

    >Possum wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Which network will the iphone go on
    >>
    >> iphone Vodofone or Telecom
    >>

    >Not Telescums, there network is too outdated to be useful.
    >
    >It is a gsm phone

    Won't stop them from producing a CDMA version.
    Mutlley, Jan 12, 2007
  9. Possum

    whome Guest

    "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message
    > In <> whome wrote:
    >>
    >> 1gb is such a small amount of data it could be used in just a few
    >> hours on proper broadband speeds. Then, what do you pay for the rest
    >> of the month?

    > One gigabyte per month sounds plenty for mobile access. I use about that
    > much at home for web browsing, email, newsgroups and the occasional
    > download. I suspect most people won't be wanting to run a BitTorrent
    > client on their cellphone.
    >
    > --
    > * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    > * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    > * SCART RGB video cable for Apple IIGS

    But, mobile video/radio /voip? You are thinking last decade services.

    I am talking next generation services.
    whome, Jan 12, 2007
  10. Possum

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > Collector»NZ <> wrote:
    >
    >> Possum wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Which network will the iphone go on
    >>>
    >>> iphone Vodofone or Telecom
    >>>

    >> Not Telescums, there network is too outdated to be useful.
    >>
    >> It is a gsm phone

    > Won't stop them from producing a CDMA version.

    Have you had a look in the telecom shops? you see a lot of no brand
    phones like "panteck" in fact the hole line up looks rubbishy.

    Robert Cooze, Jan 12, 2007
  11. Possum

    Vista Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Possum wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Which network will the iphone go on
    >>
    >> iphone Vodofone or Telecom

    > Not Telescums, there network is too outdated to be useful.
    >
    > It is a gsm phone
    >
    > --
    > >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    > | Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |

    Incorrect. By the time it is released in NZ, they will be producing CDMA
    versions, as apple do plan to produce CDMA versions as a lot of teh US use
    CDMA. Telecom are also talking about on going to a GSM network in the
    future, whether the goverment end up unbundling vodafones network to allow
    more competition, or sharing it and sharing costs, which would make more
    sense than the expensive double infrastructure we have currently got, which
    is one of the reasons our call costs are high.
    Vista, Jan 12, 2007
  12. Possum

    Vista Guest

    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:35:38 +1300, "Nik Coughlin"
    >> <> exclaimed:

    >>> Vodafone.
    >>>
    >>> There's a piece in the Herald today pointing out that you won't be
    >>> able to use the Internet capabilities of the iPhone in New Zealand
    >>> without amassing charges of several hundred dollar a month because
    >>> of our high mobile broadband costs.
    >>>

    >> There's a 1GB for 49.95 plan on Vodafone which would more than
    >> suffice. Also, with 3G2 (or whatever they're calling it) coming, this
    >> will cease to be a problem.

    > Yeah, Vodafone did say in the article that by the time it arrives here,
    > data costs will have dropped to a reasonable level.

    By the tme it comes in the mobile networks should be unbundled to allow more
    competition into the market.
    Vista, Jan 12, 2007
  13. Possum

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:49:19 +1300, "Vista" <>
    exclaimed:

    >By the tme it comes in the mobile networks should be unbundled to allow more
    >competition into the market.

    Was that a joke?

    Fred Dagg, Jan 13, 2007
  14. Possum

    David Empson Guest

    Vista <> wrote:

    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > > Possum wrote:
    > >> Which network will the iphone go on
    > >>
    > >> iphone Vodofone or Telecom

    > > Not Telescums, there network is too outdated to be useful.
    > >
    > > It is a gsm phone

    > Incorrect. By the time it is released in NZ, they will be producing CDMA
    > versions, as apple do plan to produce CDMA versions as a lot of teh US use
    > CDMA.

    Says who?

    Cingular are trumpeting the fact that they have a multi-year exclusive
    contract for the iPhone. They might be glossing over details, so this
    could be interpreted as:

    (a) Apple won't be able to sell a GSM iPhone model for use in the USA on
    networks other than Cingular's.

    (b) Apple won't be able to sell ANY iPhone model for use in the USA on
    networks other than Cingular's. This would prevent Apple from releasing
    a CDMA model in the US.

    When Apple releases the European model, it will be GSM. The Asian model
    might be different (don't know what networks are prevalent there) but
    Apple might just stick with GSM for all the models, to avoid having two
    basic designs.

    If so, it will not work on Telecom's existing mobile networks.

    > Telecom are also talking about on going to a GSM network in the
    > future, whether the goverment end up unbundling vodafones network to allow
    > more competition, or sharing it and sharing costs, which would make more
    > sense than the expensive double infrastructure we have currently got, which
    > is one of the reasons our call costs are high.

    CDMA is on the way out in Australia, so Telecom need to consider
    alernatives if they want their customers to have a sufficient degree of
    international roaming coverage.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jan 13, 2007
  15. Possum

    David Guest

    whome wrote:
    > "Roger Johnstone" <> wrote in message
    >> In <> whome wrote:
    >>> 1gb is such a small amount of data it could be used in just a few
    >>> hours on proper broadband speeds. Then, what do you pay for the rest
    >>> of the month?

    >> One gigabyte per month sounds plenty for mobile access. I use about that
    >> much at home for web browsing, email, newsgroups and the occasional
    >> download. I suspect most people won't be wanting to run a BitTorrent
    >> client on their cellphone.
    >>
    >> --
    >> * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    >> * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac
    >> * SCART RGB video cable for Apple IIGS

    > But, mobile video/radio /voip? You are thinking last decade services.
    >
    > I am talking next generation services.

    And you think the battery will last long enough to use 1GB on those
    processor intensive services?
    David, Jan 18, 2007
  16. Possum

    Scooter Guest

    On , , Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:35:38 +1300, Re: iphone Vodofone or
    Telecom, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    >Possum wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Which network will the iphone go on
    >>
    >> iphone Vodofone or Telecom

    >Vodafone.
    >
    >There's a piece in the Herald today pointing out that you won't be able to
    >use the Internet capabilities of the iPhone in New Zealand without amassing
    >charges of several hundred dollar a month because of our high mobile
    >broadband costs.

    If you can afford the phone then surely you can afford the
    charges.
    Scooter, Jan 28, 2007
  17. Possum

    whome Guest

    "Scooter" <> wrote in message
    > On , , Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:35:38 +1300, Re: iphone Vodofone or
    > Telecom, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Possum wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Which network will the iphone go on
    >>>
    >>> iphone Vodofone or Telecom

    >>Vodafone.
    >>
    >>There's a piece in the Herald today pointing out that you won't be able to
    >>use the Internet capabilities of the iPhone in New Zealand without
    >>amassing
    >>charges of several hundred dollar a month because of our high mobile
    >>broadband costs.

    > If you can afford the phone then surely you can afford the
    > charges.

    you live in la la land?
    whome, Jan 28, 2007
  18. Possum

    Scooter Guest

    On , , Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:14:50 +1300, Re: iphone Vodofone or
    Telecom, "whome" <> wrote:

    >"Scooter" <> wrote in message
    >> On , , Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:35:38 +1300, Re: iphone Vodofone or
    >> Telecom, "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote:

    >>>Vodafone.
    >>>
    >>>There's a piece in the Herald today pointing out that you won't be able to
    >>>use the Internet capabilities of the iPhone in New Zealand without
    >>>amassing
    >>>charges of several hundred dollar a month because of our high mobile
    >>>broadband costs.

    >> If you can afford the phone then surely you can afford the
    >> charges.
    >>

    >you live in la la land?

    No, if you look at the headers you will see I live in and post
    from New Zealand.
    You don't buy something like that unless you can afford the
    charges.
    An analogy, you wouldn't buy a motorcross bike and then discover
    you had nowhere to legally ride it, you check out the provisions
    for it and see if you can afford it.

    Scooter, Jan 29, 2007
  19. Possum

    whome Guest

    "Scooter" <> wrote in message
    > On , , Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:14:50 +1300, Re: iphone Vodofone or
    > Telecom, "whome" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Scooter" <> wrote in message

    >>> If you can afford the phone then surely you can afford the
    >>> charges.
    >>>

    >>you live in la la land?

    > No, if you look at the headers you will see I live in and post
    > from New Zealand.
    > You don't buy something like that unless you can afford the
    > charges.
    > An analogy, you wouldn't buy a motorcross bike and then discover
    > you had nowhere to legally ride it, you check out the provisions
    > for it and see if you can afford it.

    This is nonsense, since the usage charges will far exceed the phone cost.

    You should swap the sentence, if you can afford the charges then you can
    surely afford the phone.
    whome, Jan 29, 2007