Iphone sync closing down - Data Execution Prevention settings invista

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by k9nick, May 15, 2010.

  1. k9nick

    k9nick Guest

    hi all. CAnt seem to find anything on the net, well, talk of it but
    no resolution.

    Bought an iphone yesterday. Have some home videos Id love to put onto
    the iphone but what happens is when I try and shift a video over, or
    check out some pod casts off the net, the mobile sync closes down with
    a direction in the ms help function like this....... Show all
    Hide all
    Change Data Execution Prevention settings

    Data Execution Prevention (DEP) is a security feature that helps
    prevent damage from viruses and other security threats by monitoring
    your programs to make sure they use system memory safely.

    If you choose to protect all programs, you can still turn off DEP for
    individual programs. If you suspect that a program does not run
    correctly when DEP is turned on, check for a DEP-compatible version of
    the program or an update from the software publisher before you change
    any DEP settings.

    Click to open System.

    Click Advanced System Settings. If you are prompted for an
    administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
    confirmation.

    Under Performance, click Settings.

    Click the Data Execution Prevention tab, and then click Turn on DEP
    for all programs and services except those I select.

    To turn off DEP for an individual program
    Select the check box next to the program that you want to turn off DEP
    for, and then click OK.

    If the program is not in the list, click Add. Browse to the Program
    Files folder, find the executable file for the program (it will have
    an .exe file extension), and then click Open.

    To turn on DEP for an individual program
    Clear the check box next to the program that you want to turn on DEP
    for.

    When I perform the above action the first time I got a message saying
    that I could not do that for itunes and a second time where , well,
    nothin really. So, I have followed direction and still I cant put
    video files to my iphone.

    Video files are converted to MOV files from wmv and it still wont let
    podcasts go through. Pictures and apps are no problem.

    Anyone got any ideas ? Im using a toshiba laptop, windows Vista and
    an Apple iphone.

    cheers.
    k9nick, May 15, 2010

  2. k9nick

    tmaccaw

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    iphone not synching with itunes

    Same problem. My new iPhone 4 wouldn’t synch with itunes on my Eee netbook using Windows XP Pro. I too got the error message stating that Windows DEP (Data Execution Programme) was closing down itunes. My iPhone 3GS had had no problem synching. After a lot of frustrating hours uninstalling and re-installing itunes and getting the exact same message, I contacted Apple support who emailed me the URL at support.apple.com with the protocol for properly uninstalling the various elements of itunes, which is briefly
    Use the Control Panel Uninstall programme to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following precise order:
    1. iTunes
    2. QuickTime
    3. Apple Software Update
    4. Apple Mobile Device Support
    5. Bonjour
    6. Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later)

    However, the result was? ………..I got exactly the same DEP error message!

    Nevertheless, after a bit of trial and error I eventually got my Iphone to synch by switching off DEP for not just itunes but also

    Itunes Photo processor
    Itunes Helper
    QuickTime Player
    QuickTime Task

    To do the above
    1. Click in turn Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance Settings, and Data Execution Prevention
    2. Select the checkbox "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:"
    3. Click Add , and then browse Local Disk (C) and then Program Files to find and open the .exe executable file for each of the programmes

    Itunes
    Itunes Photo processor
    Itunes Helper
    QuickTime Player
    QuickTime Task

    (to do this Click on the 'round blue symbol with musicnote' to open each of the above and add it into the list in the Add box)

    4. Make sure the checkbox is selected against each of these 5 programmes in the Add box

    5. Click Apply and then OK

    6. Close out of all windows and restart your computer and synching should work ok.
    tmaccaw, Sep 30, 2010