    the background for that shallow depth of field effect."

    <more>
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tec...r-phone-into-a-professional-grade-camera.html
    charles, Jul 29, 2011

  2. charles

    Mike Guest

    On 29/07/2011 12:38 PM, charles wrote:

    > "The iPhone4 takes pretty decent photos and gorgeous video, but its
    > limitation is the lens built into it that can't go wide or give you
    > shallow depth of field," said Amit Gupta, founder of Photojojo who
    > worked with a company in Hong Kong to get this product made. "But if
    > you use an SLR lens you can focus on a person or subject and blur out
    > the background for that shallow depth of field effect."
    >
    > <more>
    > http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tec...r-phone-into-a-professional-grade-camera.html

    Not one report on this silly gadget has anyone mentioned if there is a
    FOV crop factor.

    Mike
    Mike, Jul 29, 2011

  3. charles

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    charles <> wrote:

    > On Thursday the Photojojo Store released the iPhone SLR Mount, a
    > hardware attachment that allows you to use your fancy Canon EOS or
    > Nikon SLR lenses while shooting pictures with your iPhone. It costs
    > $249 for the iPhone 4 version and $190 if you get it for the iPhone
    > 3GS or iPhone 3G models.
    >
    > "The iPhone4 takes pretty decent photos and gorgeous video, but its
    > limitation is the lens built into it that can't go wide or give you
    > shallow depth of field," said Amit Gupta, founder of Photojojo who
    > worked with a company in Hong Kong to get this product made. "But if
    > you use an SLR lens you can focus on a person or subject and blur out
    > the background for that shallow depth of field effect."
    >
    > <more>
    > http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/07/iphone-slr-mount-turns-your
    > -phone-into-a-professional-grade-camera.html

    Manual focus, which the iPhone will be working hard to work against
    with its autofocus.

    Manual aperture. Only viable if you have really old lenses.

    Shoots pictures upside-down (no reflector in lens mount)

    Loses 2 f-stops of speed on every lens

    This is one of the silliest things right now. No one in their right
    mind would buy this.

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jul 30, 2011
  4. charles

    Ray Fischer Guest

    charles <> wrote:
    >On Thursday the Photojojo Store released the iPhone SLR Mount, a
    >hardware attachment that allows you to use your fancy Canon EOS or
    >Nikon SLR lenses while shooting pictures with your iPhone. It costs
    >$249 for the iPhone 4 version and $190 if you get it for the iPhone
    >3GS or iPhone 3G models.

    ROFL!

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_a_sucker_born_every_minute

    Ray Fischer, Jul 30, 2011
  5. charles

    Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 09:49:34 -0700, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2011-07-29 09:38:15 -0700, charles <> said:
    >
    >> On Thursday the Photojojo Store released the iPhone SLR Mount, a
    >> hardware attachment that allows you to use your fancy Canon EOS or
    >> Nikon SLR lenses while shooting pictures with your iPhone. It costs
    >> $249 for the iPhone 4 version and $190 if you get it for the iPhone
    >> 3GS or iPhone 3G models.
    >>
    >> "The iPhone4 takes pretty decent photos and gorgeous video, but its
    >> limitation is the lens built into it that can't go wide or give you
    >> shallow depth of field," said Amit Gupta, founder of Photojojo who
    >> worked with a company in Hong Kong to get this product made. "But if
    >> you use an SLR lens you can focus on a person or subject and blur out
    >> the background for that shallow depth of field effect."
    >>
    >> <more>
    >> http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tec...r-phone-into-a-professional-grade-camera.html

    >Thursday?
    >Oh!
    >>

    >You mean Thursday, July 7, not July 28.
    >
    >Anyway it is old news and a silly way to throw away $250. If you are
    >going to carry the lens you might as well have it attached to a camera
    >rather than a phone.

    I'm on a Facebook group for photographers and that's exactly,
    almost word for word what the guy who started the group said.

    We ought to post that all over on as many discussion boards as
    possible to teach them a lesson about releasing brain farts that
    they've made reality.

    And the iPhone might very well take "pretty decent photos"
    compared to a lot of point and shoot cameras, but we should point out
    to people the vast difference in quality between an SLR sensor taking
    images in RAW format and the iPhone as well.
    , Jul 31, 2011
  6. charles

    John Turco Guest

    Sandman wrote:

    > > In article <>,
    > > charles <> wrote:
    > >
    > > On Thursday the Photojojo Store released the iPhone SLR Mount, a
    > > hardware attachment that allows you to use your fancy Canon EOS or
    > > Nikon SLR lenses while shooting pictures with your iPhone. It costs
    > > $249 for the iPhone 4 version and $190 if you get it for the iPhone
    > > 3GS or iPhone 3G models.
    > >
    > > "The iPhone4 takes pretty decent photos and gorgeous video, but its
    > > limitation is the lens built into it that can't go wide or give you
    > > shallow depth of field," said Amit Gupta, founder of Photojojo who
    > > worked with a company in Hong Kong to get this product made. "But if
    > > you use an SLR lens you can focus on a person or subject and blur out
    > > the background for that shallow depth of field effect."
    > >
    > > <more>
    > > http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/07/iphone-slr-mount-turns-your
    > > -phone-into-a-professional-grade-camera.html

    > Manual focus, which the iPhone will be working hard to work against
    > with its autofocus.
    >
    > Manual aperture. Only viable if you have really old lenses.
    >
    > Shoots pictures upside-down (no reflector in lens mount)
    >
    > Loses 2 f-stops of speed on every lens
    >
    > This is one of the silliest things right now. No one in their right
    > mind would buy this.

    Come now, Sandy. As you'd wanted people to be more tolerant of your
    own, recent "Lensbaby" purchase -- you, yourself, should be a bit
    more broad-minded, in judging this new "iPhone SLR Mount" gadget.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 6, 2011
  7. charles

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    John Turco <> wrote:

    > > Manual focus, which the iPhone will be working hard to work against
    > > with its autofocus.
    > >
    > > Manual aperture. Only viable if you have really old lenses.
    > >
    > > Shoots pictures upside-down (no reflector in lens mount)
    > >
    > > Loses 2 f-stops of speed on every lens
    > >
    > > This is one of the silliest things right now. No one in their right
    > > mind would buy this.

    > Come now, Sandy. As you'd wanted people to be more tolerant of your
    > own, recent "Lensbaby" purchase -- you, yourself, should be a bit
    > more broad-minded, in judging this new "iPhone SLR Mount" gadget.

    Please, Janey. :)

    I wouldn't have minded if someone would have called the lens baby the
    silliest thing right now and say that one wouldn't be right in their
    mind to buy one, some even hinted at opinions in that direction even!
    :)

    I stand by my assessment of this product! :-D

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Aug 7, 2011
  8. Sandman <> wrote:

    > Manual focus, which the iPhone will be working hard to work against
    > with its autofocus.

    So you only need to manual focus roughly, the rest is done
    with AF.

    > Manual aperture. Only viable if you have really old lenses.

    Use wide open. Or use depth preview while taking the lens
    off.

    > Shoots pictures upside-down (no reflector in lens mount)

    Surely an app will be forthcoming that auto-rotates the
    images.

    > Loses 2 f-stops of speed on every lens

    You don't lose any f/stop.
    You do lose 2 t-stops, if what you say is true.
    Which isn't too bad.

    > This is one of the silliest things right now. No one in their right
    > mind would buy this.

    Lots of people buy iPhones in first place ...

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 8, 2011
  9. charles

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    Wolfgang Weisselberg <> wrote:

    > > Manual focus, which the iPhone will be working hard to work against
    > > with its autofocus.

    > So you only need to manual focus roughly, the rest is done
    > with AF.

    Huh? Depending on your aperture, manual focus is anything but
    "roughly". The iPhone can't focus on anything unless the lens is in
    perfect focus first.

    > > Shoots pictures upside-down (no reflector in lens mount)

    > Surely an app will be forthcoming that auto-rotates the
    > images.

    But the popular ones won't.

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Aug 9, 2011
  10. Sandman <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg <> wrote:

    >> > Manual focus, which the iPhone will be working hard to work against
    >> > with its autofocus.

    >> So you only need to manual focus roughly, the rest is done
    >> with AF.

    > Huh? Depending on your aperture, manual focus is anything but
    > "roughly". The iPhone can't focus on anything unless the lens is in
    > perfect focus first.

    Ah --- you're right, I was thinking of an air image, not of
    ground glass.

    In which case you'll not work too hard against the AF, since
    the sharpest image is the (possibly quite unsharp) image of the
    ground glass.

    >> > Shoots pictures upside-down (no reflector in lens mount)

    >> Surely an app will be forthcoming that auto-rotates the
    >> images.

    > But the popular ones won't.

    Then they won't be popular with the people who use this
    system.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 9, 2011
  11. charles

    John Turco Guest

    Sandman wrote:

    > > In article <>,
    > > John Turco <> wrote:
    > > > Sandman wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Manual focus, which the iPhone will be working hard to work against
    > > > with its autofocus.
    > > >
    > > > Manual aperture. Only viable if you have really old lenses.
    > > >
    > > > Shoots pictures upside-down (no reflector in lens mount)
    > > >
    > > > Loses 2 f-stops of speed on every lens
    > > >
    > > > This is one of the silliest things right now. No one in their right
    > > > mind would buy this.

    > > Come now, Sandy. As you'd wanted people to be more tolerant of your
    > > own, recent "Lensbaby" purchase -- you, yourself, should be a bit
    > > more broad-minded, in judging this new "iPhone SLR Mount" gadget.

    > Please, Janey. :)
    >
    > I wouldn't have minded if someone would have called the lens baby the
    > silliest thing right now and say that one wouldn't be right in their
    > mind to buy one, some even hinted at opinions in that direction even!
    > :)
    >
    > I stand by my assessment of this product! :-D

    Such a firm position! Don't you Swedes favor neutrality, nomally?

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 18, 2011
  12. charles

    Sandman Guest

    In article <>,
    John Turco <> wrote:

    > > Please, Janey. :)
    > >
    > > I wouldn't have minded if someone would have called the lens baby the
    > > silliest thing right now and say that one wouldn't be right in their
    > > mind to buy one, some even hinted at opinions in that direction even!
    > > :)
    > >
    > > I stand by my assessment of this product! :-D

    > Such a firm position! Don't you Swedes favor neutrality, nomally?

    Only if asked by germans! :)

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Aug 19, 2011
  13. charles

    John Turco Guest

    Sandman wrote:

    > > In article <>,
    > > John Turco <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Sandman wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Please, Janey. :)
    > > >
    > > > I wouldn't have minded if someone would have called the lens baby the
    > > > silliest thing right now and say that one wouldn't be right in their
    > > > mind to buy one, some even hinted at opinions in that direction even!
    > > > :)
    > > >
    > > > I stand by my assessment of this product! :-D

    > > Such a firm position! Don't you Swedes favor neutrality, nomally?

    > Only if asked by germans! :)

    Indeed, those powerful predators (i.e., Germany and Russia) were often
    dire threats to their smaller neighbors. Sweden was always a far better
    artful dodger, than Poland could ever hope to be.

    (Geography was also a factor, no doubt, with Poland sandwiched by the
    aforementioned giants.)

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 26, 2011
  14. Sandman <> wrote:
    > John Turco <> wrote:

    >> > I stand by my assessment of this product! :-D

    >> Such a firm position! Don't you Swedes favor neutrality, nomally?

    > Only if asked by germans! :)

    Vill yuh be neutral or vill ve invade yuh tonigt? Yuh hav
    te choize ...

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 3, 2011