ipcop and DSE's usb adsl Modem XH1172

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert Cooze, Jul 23, 2006.

  1. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    I am looking at a Dick Smith usb adsl Modem XH1172 as per usal the
    documents from DSE leave a lot to be desired. The drivers provided are
    for older distributions REDHAT and Mandrake. Reading and googeling I
    have come up with this.

    1 the modem uses CX82320 chipset by Conexant

    2 this combination has worked with Ipcop
    http://www.tutorialsall.com/UKLINUX/IPCop-Conexant/

    3 It looks like I have to upload firmware to the modem to make it work I
    should be able to get that from the drivers suppled (in rmp form)
    cnxe2fw.bin I think is the firmware.

    Now the IPcop site is not of much help nor is its volunteer site either
    http://www.ipcops.com mostly the searches come up with nothing or of
    relevance.

    So where to now Yes I know that real men write there own drivers do I
    reverce engneer the rpm and manually install it? the modem upload page
    is for "Upload Speedtouch USB Firmware", "Upload ECI ADSL Synch.bin
    File" and "Upload Fritz!DSL Driver" and by the way I am downloading the
    manuals for IP cop to see if there is not anything I am missing.

    Robert Cooze, Jul 23, 2006

  2. Robert Cooze

    PeeCee Guest

    "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    >I am looking at a Dick Smith usb adsl Modem XH1172 as per usal the
    > documents from DSE leave a lot to be desired. The drivers provided are
    > for older distributions REDHAT and Mandrake. Reading and googeling I
    > have come up with this.
    >
    > 1 the modem uses CX82320 chipset by Conexant
    >
    > 2 this combination has worked with Ipcop
    > http://www.tutorialsall.com/UKLINUX/IPCop-Conexant/
    >
    > 3 It looks like I have to upload firmware to the modem to make it work I
    > should be able to get that from the drivers suppled (in rmp form)
    > cnxe2fw.bin I think is the firmware.
    >
    > Now the IPcop site is not of much help nor is its volunteer site either
    > http://www.ipcops.com mostly the searches come up with nothing or of
    > relevance.
    >
    > So where to now Yes I know that real men write there own drivers do I
    > reverce engneer the rpm and manually install it? the modem upload page
    > is for "Upload Speedtouch USB Firmware", "Upload ECI ADSL Synch.bin
    > File" and "Upload Fritz!DSL Driver" and by the way I am downloading the
    > manuals for IP cop to see if there is not anything I am missing.
    > --
    > http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze
    >
    > / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
    > / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
    > ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/

    Robert

    Save yourself a lot of heartache and time by getting the XH1173.

    It uses a standard Ethernet connection as this sentence from DSE's website
    explains.
    <quote> With an industry standard IEEE 802.3-compliant Ethernet port, it
    aims to provide the widest array of connectivity options without relying on
    host PC drivers.</quote>

    Any distro of Linux will find the modem at the end of an Ethernet port
    'automagically'. No 'drivers', no firmware 'updates' no hastle.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jul 23, 2006

  3. Robert Cooze

    Jennings Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:42:06 +1200, PeeCee wrote:

    > "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    >>I am looking at a Dick Smith usb adsl Modem XH1172 as per usal the
    >> documents from DSE leave a lot to be desired. The drivers provided are
    >> for older distributions REDHAT and Mandrake. Reading and googeling I
    >> have come up with this.
    >>

    > Robert
    >
    > Save yourself a lot of heartache and time by getting the XH1173.
    >
    > It uses a standard Ethernet connection as this sentence from DSE's website
    > explains.
    > <quote> With an industry standard IEEE 802.3-compliant Ethernet port, it
    > aims to provide the widest array of connectivity options without relying on
    > host PC drivers.</quote>
    >
    > Any distro of Linux will find the modem at the end of an Ethernet port
    > 'automagically'. No 'drivers', no firmware 'updates' no hastle.
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    I second that ...

    External ethernet ADSL modem = no drivers = any linux distro /
    or any Windows OS it just works.

    The USB version under windows seems to be a horror to get working
    reliably.

    Jennings, Jul 23, 2006
  4. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Jennings wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:42:06 +1200, PeeCee wrote:
    >
    >> "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    >>> I am looking at a Dick Smith usb adsl Modem XH1172 as per usal the
    >>> documents from DSE leave a lot to be desired. The drivers provided are
    >>> for older distributions REDHAT and Mandrake. Reading and googeling I
    >>> have come up with this.
    >>>

    >> Robert
    >>
    >> Save yourself a lot of heartache and time by getting the XH1173.
    >>
    >> It uses a standard Ethernet connection as this sentence from DSE's website
    >> explains.
    >> <quote> With an industry standard IEEE 802.3-compliant Ethernet port, it
    >> aims to provide the widest array of connectivity options without relying on
    >> host PC drivers.</quote>
    >>
    >> Any distro of Linux will find the modem at the end of an Ethernet port
    >> 'automagically'. No 'drivers', no firmware 'updates' no hastle.
    >>
    >> Best
    >> Paul.

    > I second that ...
    >
    > External ethernet ADSL modem = no drivers = any linux distro /
    > or any Windows OS it just works.
    >

    > The USB version under windows seems to be a horror to get working
    > reliably.

    Actually That was my original plan but we are on a tight budget. The
    misses wanted to finally spend the money...
    must chuckle when we were looking a customer pointed out that one and
    was very happy.

    I will have a talk to DSE support and see what they have to say

    Is the SECURE DYNALINK DUAL INTERFACE MODEM/ROUTER Model: RTA1320 any good?
    http://dynalink.co.nz/modemsadsl_cur.htm?prod=RTA1320

    as one of the modems that orcon can provide
    http://dynalink.co.nz/modemsadsl_cur.htm?prod=RTA1320

    and I guess all I need to do is add an extra network card to my Ipcop
    box at worse for the red interface or just plug it into my switch...

    It would be nice if it would just work but if it is going to be a hassle
    I will take to much easer option.

    and to take the biggest prize the IPcop manual didn't say much as I
    originally thought.

    I will give it some more thought but looks like I am going to take some
    stuff back.

    Robert Cooze, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Robert Cooze

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 06:42:29 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:

    > Jennings wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:42:06 +1200, PeeCee wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Robert
    >>>
    >>> Save yourself a lot of heartache and time by getting the XH1173.
    >>>
    >>> It uses a standard Ethernet connection as this sentence from DSE's website
    >>> explains.
    >>> <quote> With an industry standard IEEE 802.3-compliant Ethernet port, it
    >>> aims to provide the widest array of connectivity options without relying on
    >>> host PC drivers.</quote>
    >>>
    >>> Any distro of Linux will find the modem at the end of an Ethernet port
    >>> 'automagically'. No 'drivers', no firmware 'updates' no hastle.
    >>>
    >>> Best
    >>> Paul.

    >> I second that ...
    >>
    >> External ethernet ADSL modem = no drivers = any linux distro /
    >> or any Windows OS it just works.
    >>

    >> The USB version under windows seems to be a horror to get working
    >> reliably.

    > Actually That was my original plan but we are on a tight budget. The
    > misses wanted to finally spend the money...
    > must chuckle when we were looking a customer pointed out that one and
    > was very happy.
    >
    > I will have a talk to DSE support and see what they have to say
    >
    > Is the SECURE DYNALINK DUAL INTERFACE MODEM/ROUTER Model: RTA1320 any good?
    > http://dynalink.co.nz/modemsadsl_cur.htm?prod=RTA1320
    >
    > as one of the modems that orcon can provide
    > http://dynalink.co.nz/modemsadsl_cur.htm?prod=RTA1320
    >
    > and I guess all I need to do is add an extra network card to my Ipcop
    > box at worse for the red interface or just plug it into my switch...
    >
    > It would be nice if it would just work but if it is going to be a hassle
    > I will take to much easer option.
    >
    > and to take the biggest prize the IPcop manual didn't say much as I
    > originally thought.
    >
    > I will give it some more thought but looks like I am going to take some
    > stuff back.

    IIRC there are about 40 firmware images to try before you get in touch
    with tech support. I can probably sort out the one you need if you're on
    telstra, but the others will be completely different.

    I ended up trying them one at a time...
    Steve, Jul 24, 2006
  6. Robert Cooze

    Nova Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:
    > Jennings wrote:
    >> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:42:06 +1200, PeeCee wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> Robert
    >>>
    >>> Save yourself a lot of heartache and time by getting the XH1173.
    >>>
    >>> It uses a standard Ethernet connection as this sentence from DSE's website
    >>> explains.
    >>> <quote> With an industry standard IEEE 802.3-compliant Ethernet port, it
    >>> aims to provide the widest array of connectivity options without relying on
    >>> host PC drivers.</quote>
    >>>
    >>> Any distro of Linux will find the modem at the end of an Ethernet port
    >>> 'automagically'. No 'drivers', no firmware 'updates' no hastle.
    >>>
    >>> Best
    >>> Paul.

    >> I second that ...
    >>
    >> External ethernet ADSL modem = no drivers = any linux distro /
    >> or any Windows OS it just works.
    >>

    >> The USB version under windows seems to be a horror to get working
    >> reliably.

    > Actually That was my original plan but we are on a tight budget. The
    > misses wanted to finally spend the money...
    > must chuckle when we were looking a customer pointed out that one and
    > was very happy.
    >
    > I will have a talk to DSE support and see what they have to say
    >
    > Is the SECURE DYNALINK DUAL INTERFACE MODEM/ROUTER Model: RTA1320 any good?
    > http://dynalink.co.nz/modemsadsl_cur.htm?prod=RTA1320
    >
    > as one of the modems that orcon can provide
    > http://dynalink.co.nz/modemsadsl_cur.htm?prod=RTA1320
    >
    > and I guess all I need to do is add an extra network card to my Ipcop
    > box at worse for the red interface or just plug it into my switch...
    >
    > It would be nice if it would just work but if it is going to be a hassle
    > I will take to much easer option.
    >
    > and to take the biggest prize the IPcop manual didn't say much as I
    > originally thought.
    >
    > I will give it some more thought but looks like I am going to take some
    > stuff back.

    If you go for an exterlal adsl modem with an ethernet port you'll have
    to make sure it supports "half bridge" mode if you want to run in with
    ipcop or smoothwall or anything like that.
    Nova, Jul 24, 2006
  7. Robert Cooze

    EMB Guest

    Nova wrote:

    > If you go for an exterlal adsl modem with an ethernet port you'll have
    > to make sure it supports "half bridge" mode if you want to run in with
    > ipcop or smoothwall or anything like that.

    No he won't - ipcop runs happily with an ADSL router in NAT mode - it's
    not a very esoteric way of doing things but it works just fine.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Jul 24, 2006
  8. Robert Cooze

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:48:20 +1200, EMB wrote:

    > Nova wrote:
    >
    >> If you go for an exterlal adsl modem with an ethernet port you'll have
    >> to make sure it supports "half bridge" mode if you want to run in with
    >> ipcop or smoothwall or anything like that.

    > No he won't - ipcop runs happily with an ADSL router in NAT mode - it's
    > not a very esoteric way of doing things but it works just fine.

    That's esoteric as in having to do everything twice is it? New definition
    there I think :)
    Steve, Jul 24, 2006
  9. Robert Cooze

    EMB Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:48:20 +1200, EMB wrote:
    >

    >>Nova wrote:
    >>

    >>>If you go for an exterlal adsl modem with an ethernet port you'll have
    >>>to make sure it supports "half bridge" mode if you want to run in with
    >>>ipcop or smoothwall or anything like that.

    >>No he won't - ipcop runs happily with an ADSL router in NAT mode - it's
    >>not a very esoteric way of doing things but it works just fine.

    > That's esoteric as in having to do everything twice is it? New definition
    > there I think :)

    Esoteric - as in intended for the knowledgable. And lets face it,
    knowing about bridge mode for an ADSL router is limited to the
    knowledgable, thus using it is an esoteric solution.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Jul 24, 2006
  10. Robert Cooze

    Dave Taylor Guest

    EMB <> wrote in news:ea1jd8$pjo$:

    > No he won't - ipcop runs happily with an ADSL router in NAT mode - it's
    > not a very esoteric way of doing things but it works just fine.

    Sometimes Double NAT is a hassle... Best avoided unless needed.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jul 24, 2006
  11. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 06:42:29 +1200, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >
    >> Jennings wrote:

    >>> I second that ...
    >>>
    >>> External ethernet ADSL modem = no drivers = any linux distro /
    >>> or any Windows OS it just works.
    >>>

    >>> The USB version under windows seems to be a horror to get working
    >>> reliably.

    >> Actually That was my original plan but we are on a tight budget. The
    >> misses wanted to finally spend the money...
    >> must chuckle when we were looking a customer pointed out that one and
    >> was very happy.
    >>
    >> I will have a talk to DSE support and see what they have to say
    >>
    >> Is the SECURE DYNALINK DUAL INTERFACE MODEM/ROUTER Model: RTA1320 any good?
    >> http://dynalink.co.nz/modemsadsl_cur.htm?prod=RTA1320
    >>
    >> as one of the modems that orcon can provide
    >> http://dynalink.co.nz/modemsadsl_cur.htm?prod=RTA1320
    >>
    >> and I guess all I need to do is add an extra network card to my Ipcop
    >> box at worse for the red interface or just plug it into my switch...
    >>
    >> It would be nice if it would just work but if it is going to be a hassle
    >> I will take to much easer option.
    >>
    >> and to take the biggest prize the IPcop manual didn't say much as I
    >> originally thought.
    >>
    >> I will give it some more thought but looks like I am going to take some
    >> stuff back.

    > IIRC there are about 40 firmware images to try before you get in touch
    > with tech support. I can probably sort out the one you need if you're on
    > telstra, but the others will be completely different.
    >
    > I ended up trying them one at a time...

    That was what I was looking at having to do...

    Now for $2.00 more from orcon I get a modem and 3 splitters the modem
    has usb and Ethernet. The main problem was the re packaging from
    dicsmith just a total lack of deasent documentation. I fot more from the
    rpm files after I pulled them apart. So any whay I have taken back the
    modem from dicksmith and sent money away for the dynalink one.

    Robert Cooze, Jul 24, 2006
  12. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > Robert Cooze wrote:
    >> Jennings wrote:

    >>> I second that ...
    >>>
    >>> External ethernet ADSL modem = no drivers = any linux distro /
    >>> or any Windows OS it just works.
    >>>

    >>> The USB version under windows seems to be a horror to get working
    >>> reliably.

    >> Actually That was my original plan but we are on a tight budget. The
    >> misses wanted to finally spend the money...
    >> must chuckle when we were looking a customer pointed out that one and
    >> was very happy.
    >>
    >> I will have a talk to DSE support and see what they have to say
    >>
    >> Is the SECURE DYNALINK DUAL INTERFACE MODEM/ROUTER Model: RTA1320 any
    >> good?
    >> http://dynalink.co.nz/modemsadsl_cur.htm?prod=RTA1320
    >>
    >> as one of the modems that orcon can provide
    >> http://dynalink.co.nz/modemsadsl_cur.htm?prod=RTA1320
    >>
    >> and I guess all I need to do is add an extra network card to my Ipcop
    >> box at worse for the red interface or just plug it into my switch...
    >>
    >> It would be nice if it would just work but if it is going to be a hassle
    >> I will take to much easer option.
    >>
    >> and to take the biggest prize the IPcop manual didn't say much as I
    >> originally thought.
    >>
    >> I will give it some more thought but looks like I am going to take some
    >> stuff back.
    >>

    > If you go for an exterlal adsl modem with an ethernet port you'll have
    > to make sure it supports "half bridge" mode if you want to run in with
    > ipcop or smoothwall or anything like that.

    I have supposedly got a verbal this is what it will do wost cace IPcop
    goes byebye

    Robert Cooze, Jul 24, 2006
  13. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >
    >> If you go for an exterlal adsl modem with an ethernet port you'll have
    >> to make sure it supports "half bridge" mode if you want to run in with
    >> ipcop or smoothwall or anything like that.

    > No he won't - ipcop runs happily with an ADSL router in NAT mode - it's
    > not a very esoteric way of doing things but it works just fine.

    Year double firewalling gotta be fun :)

    Robert Cooze, Jul 24, 2006
  14. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Steve wrote:

    >>> No he won't - ipcop runs happily with an ADSL router in NAT mode -
    >>> it's not a very esoteric way of doing things but it works just fine.

    >> That's esoteric as in having to do everything twice is it? New definition
    >> there I think :)
    >>

    > Esoteric - as in intended for the knowledgable. And lets face it,
    > knowing about bridge mode for an ADSL router is limited to the
    > knowledgable, thus using it is an esoteric solution.

    I think they were talking about

    Internet modem in nat mode passing on the ipcop in nat maod sorry
    about the bad grammer and spelling

    Robert Cooze, Jul 24, 2006
  15. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > EMB <> wrote in news:ea1jd8$pjo$:
    >
    >> No he won't - ipcop runs happily with an ADSL router in NAT mode - it's
    >> not a very esoteric way of doing things but it works just fine.

    > Sometimes Double NAT is a hassle... Best avoided unless needed.

    If I cant bridge then most likely the IPcop box will be recycled to
    something else. This was my least preferred situation but it will work ok.

    Robert Cooze, Jul 24, 2006
  16. Robert Cooze

    Nova Guest

    EMB wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >
    >> If you go for an exterlal adsl modem with an ethernet port you'll have
    >> to make sure it supports "half bridge" mode if you want to run in with
    >> ipcop or smoothwall or anything like that.

    > No he won't - ipcop runs happily with an ADSL router in NAT mode - it's
    > not a very esoteric way of doing things but it works just fine.

    Didn't know that - learn things everyday :), sounds a bit ugly though..
    Nova, Jul 24, 2006
  17. Robert Cooze

    EMB Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > EMB wrote:
    >> Nova wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you go for an exterlal adsl modem with an ethernet port you'll
    >>> have to make sure it supports "half bridge" mode if you want to run
    >>> in with ipcop or smoothwall or anything like that.

    >> No he won't - ipcop runs happily with an ADSL router in NAT mode -
    >> it's not a very esoteric way of doing things but it works just fine.
    >>

    > Didn't know that - learn things everyday :), sounds a bit ugly though..

    Well ugly. And a right PITA to port forward on.
    EMB, Jul 24, 2006
  18. Robert Cooze

    Richard Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:

    > That was what I was looking at having to do...
    >
    > Now for $2.00 more from orcon I get a modem and 3 splitters the modem
    > has usb and Ethernet. The main problem was the re packaging from
    > dicsmith just a total lack of deasent documentation. I fot more from the
    > rpm files after I pulled them apart. So any whay I have taken back the
    > modem from dicksmith and sent money away for the dynalink one.

    If its the little dynalink your getting, then get used to powercycling the thing
    when PPP drops and never comes back
    Richard, Jul 25, 2006
  19. Robert Cooze

    Richard Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > EMB <> wrote in news:ea1jd8$pjo$:
    >

    >>No he won't - ipcop runs happily with an ADSL router in NAT mode - it's
    >>not a very esoteric way of doing things but it works just fine.

    > Sometimes Double NAT is a hassle... Best avoided unless needed.

    Especially if either of them is a stateful nat for UDP like my stupid old nokia
    m1122 which would blow out the nat table on all the UDP that the DHT feature of
    azereus would do, and also prevents stun from working properly to get voip working.
    Richard, Jul 25, 2006
  20. Robert Cooze

    Peter Nield Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Dave Taylor wrote:
    >> EMB <> wrote in news:ea1jd8$pjo$:
    >>

    > Especially if either of them is a stateful nat for UDP like my stupid old
    > nokia m1122 which would blow out the nat table on all the UDP that the DHT
    > feature of azereus would do, and also prevents stun from working properly
    > to get voip working.

    The problem would be that the Nokia has a limited amount of memory to keep
    track of connections.

    It seems to only allocate buffer space for about 500 (probably 512) open
    connections at any one time. If you open the 513th, the router reboots...

    Limiting the number of simultaneous connections corrects that behaviour.
    Peter Nield, Jul 25, 2006