    "Operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this
    operation" Can any one please tell me what is this referring to, and how to
    fix it...thanks
    Fernando, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Fernando

    Geoff Guest

    Fernando wrote:
    > Whenever using ipconfig /release to get a new address, a message
    > appears "Operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible
    > for this operation" Can any one please tell me what is this
    > referring to, and how to fix it...thanks

    it prob means your network cable is not plugged in, thats all comes to mind
    anyway
    any help ?
    Geoff, Oct 14, 2003

  3. Fernando

    Andy Barkl Guest

    "Fernando" <> wrote in message
    > Whenever using ipconfig /release to get a new address, a message appears
    > "Operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this
    > operation" Can any one please tell me what is this referring to, and how

    > fix it...thanks

    Your network card must be configured with a static IP address and you'll
    need to change it to "obtain IP address automatically" in the TCP/IP
    properties.
    Andy Barkl, Oct 14, 2003
  4. Fernando

    Fernando Guest

    hello there, and thank you for replying. I did chage the tcp/ip config to
    enable automatic ip addressing but it did not do much good. I get the same
    message still....????? any ideas??????

    Fernando, Oct 14, 2003
  5. Fernando

    BobZilla Guest

    It is connected to a DHCP server right? If not than that is the problem. It
    will default to a burn in address if it can't find a server. ----BZ

    BobZilla, Oct 14, 2003
  6. are you online at the time you run
    IPCONFIG /release *con*

    I try running it and refuses to as long as I am online.

    HTH

    Ronnie Broyles, Oct 20, 2003
  7. On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 20:46:15 -0500, "anonymous" <>
    wrote:

    >What's a burn in address?
    >
    >bil
    >
    >"BobZilla" <> wrote in message
    >> It is connected to a DHCP server right? If not than that is the problem.

    >It
    >> will default to a burn in address if it can't find a server. ----BZ

    [Much elided]

    There is no such thing.

    If a host is set to get IP adress and other information automatically
    AND there is no functioning DHCP server to give it one, the host
    eventually times out the DHCP request and generates, itself, an APIPA
    address: for Automatic Private IP Address.

    This is an address in the 169.254.x.y network, chosen at random. The
    generated address is tested with a ping first, to check that it hasn't
    already been used.

    These APIPA address can be a nuisance, and I suppose you COULD use
    them for burn in - but they can also be used for a simple, isolated
    network: it requires no configuration and no server. Of course, some
    limitations apply. For a start, an internet connection would require
    some sort of gateway, and the APIPA scheme wouldn't set it correctly.

    I set up a small peer-to-peer lan like this two weekends ago.

    Gordon
    Gordon Findlay, Nov 3, 2003