    that said it tried to execute a command on something that is not a socket, or
    something along those lines. I was directed to Microsoft help which in turn
    brushed me off. Desperate for help!! Any assisstance???

    =?Utf-8?B?Y21icnVuZWxsZQ==?=, Sep 25, 2007

  2. We do need to know the exact error message. Or check this troubleshooting.

    Troubleshooting ipconfigTroubleshooting Ipconfig. An error occurred while
    renewing interface Can ping ip but not name Can ping IP but not hostname
    after installed/upgraded software ...
    www.chicagotech.net/troubleshootingipconfig.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L \(MS-MVP\), Sep 25, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Y21icnVuZWxsZQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    cmbrunelle wrote:
    > I have a Dell from '02 running Windows XP Professional on it. Our family
    > recently got high speed internet through AT&T. My laptop connects to it just
    > beautifully, but the Dell doesn't. When I open 'available networks', I can
    > see that there ARE bytes being sent and received, however when I open a
    > browser, it says that the internet is unavailable. I spoke with ATT support,
    > and they asked me to run the ipconfig / renew command. I received an error
    > that said it tried to execute a command on something that is not a socket, or
    > something along those lines. I was directed to Microsoft help which in turn
    > brushed me off. Desperate for help!! Any assisstance???

    see if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817571/en-us

    (if either of the computers does not have a floppy, use a USB thumb drive)

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Sep 25, 2007