    Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
    I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
    online or not.

    joevan, Dec 31, 2006

  2. joevan

    Guest

    joevan <> wrote:

    >I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
    >daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
    >I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via
    >IE. Neither can I connect to email.
    >Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
    >I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
    >online or not.

    Try this instead
    Start | Run <type in>
    CMD /K IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
    <enter>
    --
    The Top Ten Astronomy Images of 2006
    http://tinyurl.com/y5nnks

    , Dec 31, 2006

  3. joevan

    Guest

    wrote:

    > joevan <> wrote:
    >
    >>I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
    >>daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
    >>I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via
    >>IE. Neither can I connect to email.
    >>Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
    >>I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
    >>online or not.

    >Try this instead
    >Start | Run <type in>
    >CMD /K IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
    ><enter>

    Since this works sometimes, You can also go into the Control Panel /
    network connections, right click the problem connection and select
    repair - which also might work.
    --
    The Top Ten Astronomy Images of 2006
    http://tinyurl.com/y5nnks

    , Dec 31, 2006
  4. joevan

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
    > daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
    > I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via
    > IE. Neither can I connect to email.
    > Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
    > I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
    > online or not.

    You should be able to use IPconfig /release and IPconfig /renew to
    release and renew the connection. I don't know why they would tell to
    contact Sony for a possible O/S problem.

    Based on the Windows O/S being used, you can reset the TCP/IP stack and
    see if that works for you.

    You can search Google for the how to.

    What IP(s) does the machine have when you enter IPconfig /all?

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 31, 2006
  5. joevan

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    doS wrote:
    > because the browser could be hosed, idiot

    Denial of Shit are you sitting in fornt of that machine?

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 31, 2006
  6. joevan

    doS Guest

    doS, Dec 31, 2006
  7. joevan

    Death6 Guest

    Denial of Shit, you should die and crawl back into that septic tank.

    Death6, Dec 31, 2006
  8. joevan

    Daave Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
    > daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
    > I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via
    > IE. Neither can I connect to email.
    > Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
    > I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
    > online or not.

    Is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way since you got
    the machine?

    What happens when you use another browser?

    Are there any toolbar add-ons in IE? Yahoo and UPromise toolbars are
    known to hose IE.

    --
    Dave

    Daave, Dec 31, 2006
  9. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:26:05 -0500, "Daave"
    <> wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >> I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
    >> daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
    >> I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via
    >> IE. Neither can I connect to email.
    >> Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
    >> I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
    >> online or not.

    >Is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way since you got
    >the machine?
    >
    >What happens when you use another browser?
    >
    >Are there any toolbar add-ons in IE? Yahoo and UPromise toolbars are
    >known to hose IE.

    Uh, it isn't just IE, Mail will not work either. When I checked
    ipconfig /all I saw that-
    iprouting not enabled,
    and wins proxy not enabled.
    This is probably the problem.
    How do I enable them?
    I checked this machine which obviously works and they are of course
    enabled on it.

    joevan, Dec 31, 2006
  10. joevan

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:51:25 GMT, joevan wrote:

    >On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:26:05 -0500, "Daave"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>joevan wrote:
    >>> I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
    >>> daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
    >>> I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via

    Ping using hostname or IP address?

    >>> IE. Neither can I connect to email.
    >>> Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
    >>> I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
    >>> online or not.

    Pinging a site outside your ISP means the basics are all working.

    >>Is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way since you got
    >>the machine?
    >>
    >>What happens when you use another browser?
    >>
    >>Are there any toolbar add-ons in IE? Yahoo and UPromise toolbars are
    >>known to hose IE.

    >Uh, it isn't just IE, Mail will not work either. When I checked
    >ipconfig /all I saw that-

    When you checked ipconfig/all, besides the IP address was anything else
    different? If it's the same ISP connection the DNS/Subnet mask/Gateway
    should be the same. Generally only IP address and MAC address are
    different.

    > iprouting not enabled,

    You shouldn't need IP Routing and won't need WINS Proxy, or WINS server.

    IP Routing is used when you have a PC multihomed with 2 network cards
    and you need traffic to cross from 1 connection through the PC to the
    other connection. As in System#2 on the disgram
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/w2kprout.html

    WINS Proxy (WINS) is a MS name server that is similar to DNS. Where as
    DNS converts an IP address to / from it's DNS name. WINS does the same
    thing for NetBIOS names.

    For example, my PC -
    IP public address is set by my ISP.
    DNS public name is set by my ISP.

    PC NetBIOS local name is set by me. MS Networking takes care of that. On
    a larger scale, say 1000's of PC at the office a WINS server maps
    NetBIOS names to IPs.

    >and wins proxy not enabled.
    >This is probably the problem.
    >How do I enable them?
    >I checked this machine which obviously works and they are of course
    >enabled on it.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067
    try a traceroute to something like your ISPs gateway or mai server. Use
    the IP address rather than names.

    Me

    why?, Dec 31, 2006
  11. joevan

    Daave Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:26:05 -0500, "Daave"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> joevan wrote:
    >>> I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
    >>> daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
    >>> I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not
    >>> via IE. Neither can I connect to email.
    >>> Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
    >>> I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it
    >>> for online or not.

    >> Is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way since you
    >> got the machine?
    >>
    >> What happens when you use another browser?
    >>
    >> Are there any toolbar add-ons in IE? Yahoo and UPromise toolbars are
    >> known to hose IE.

    > Uh, it isn't just IE, Mail will not work either. When I checked
    > ipconfig /all I saw that-
    > iprouting not enabled,
    > and wins proxy not enabled.
    > This is probably the problem.

    As why? stated, it's probably not the problem.

    What program do you use for e-mail. How is it configured?

    I would still try another browser -- if only to rule things out.

    Do you have DSL or dial-up? If DSL, do you have a static or dynamic IP,
    and how do you have your TCP/IP Properties configured?

    And again, is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way
    since you got the machine?

    --
    Dave

    Daave, Dec 31, 2006
  12. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:01:47 -0500, "Daave"
    <> wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >> On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:26:05 -0500, "Daave"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> Is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way since you
    >>> got the machine?
    >>>
    >>> What happens when you use another browser?
    >>>
    >>> Are there any toolbar add-ons in IE? Yahoo and UPromise toolbars are
    >>> known to hose IE.

    >> Uh, it isn't just IE, Mail will not work either. When I checked
    >> ipconfig /all I saw that-
    >> iprouting not enabled,
    >> and wins proxy not enabled.
    >> This is probably the problem.

    >As why? stated, it's probably not the problem.
    >
    >What program do you use for e-mail. How is it configured?
    >
    >I would still try another browser -- if only to rule things out.
    >
    >Do you have DSL or dial-up? If DSL, do you have a static or dynamic IP,
    >and how do you have your TCP/IP Properties configured?
    >
    >And again, is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way
    >since you got the machine?

    Ok, I tried the diagnostics and all it said was what I already knew.
    Mail and IE failed.
    Ha, I got it. All ok now. Thanks for all the help but I am a bit
    annoyed at the great indian so called verizon, help from Bangledesh or
    whatever.
    It seems to have been a simple setting in my verizon dialer for the
    dsl.

    joevan, Dec 31, 2006
  13. joevan

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    joevan wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 23:26:05 -0500, "Daave"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>joevan wrote:
    >>
    >>>I was told by a verizon tech that because it would not work on my
    >>>daughters sony with xp that I had to call sony to see what is wrong.
    >>>I can get to yahoo by pinging them from the command prompt but not via
    >>>IE. Neither can I connect to email.
    >>>Just thought I would cast a line here in case anyone has any ideas.
    >>>I got the machine used and don't know if maybe I should forget it for
    >>>online or not.

    >>Is this a recent problem, or has it always been this way since you got
    >>the machine?
    >>
    >>What happens when you use another browser?
    >>
    >>Are there any toolbar add-ons in IE? Yahoo and UPromise toolbars are
    >>known to hose IE.

    > Uh, it isn't just IE, Mail will not work either. When I checked
    > ipconfig /all I saw that-
    > iprouting not enabled,
    > and wins proxy not enabled.
    > This is probably the problem.
    > How do I enable them?
    > I checked this machine which obviously works and they are of course
    > enabled on it.

    You do it by resetting the TCP/IP Stack on the Windows O/S, which resets
    wins and a whole lot of other things, dealing with TCP/IP.

    For all you know, malware can be on the machine that has knocked out the
    Stack and is preventing the machine from accessing the Internet, which
    there are utilities other than the above MS solution that you may want
    to use to correct the problem with TCP/IP. Google is you friend.

    Most likely by doing IPconfig /all, it came back with the
    169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP, which is a timeout indication that the machine
    couldn't get a DHCP IP from a DHCP server on the network, or no IP
    period can obtained and the machine has got no connection to the
    Internet, in either case.

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 31, 2006
  14. joevan

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Do the reset that Duane (Mr Arnold) suggested.

    The list grows. Leythos the stalker,David H. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka
    What's in a Name?,Fitz,Rhonda Lea Kirk,Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George Orwell

    pcbutts1, Dec 31, 2006
  15. joevan

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>, pcbutts1
    @leythosthestalker.com says...
    > Newsgroup Trolls. Read about mine here http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads
    > The list grows. Leythos the stalker,David H. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka
    > What's in a Name?,Fitz,Rhonda Lea Kirk,Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George Orwell

    PCBUTTS1 how are you going to address the Pornographic content on a site
    that you claim is to help people?

    Do you really want people to trust you with Pornography on your
    website:

    http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/pervert.htm

    http://pcbutts1.com/downloads/license.htm

    http://www.leythosthestalker.com

    Who is going to trust someone like you when you host FOUL content on
    your help site?

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Dec 31, 2006
  16. joevan

    Pinto Alegre Guest

    yes, and I am denying you...

    Pinto Alegre, Dec 31, 2006
  17. joevan

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Pinto Alegre wrote:
    > yes, and I am denying you...

    touchy

    Mr. Arnold, Dec 31, 2006
  18. joevan

    Top Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    > Ha, I got it. All ok now. Thanks for all the help but I am a
    > bit annoyed at the great indian so called verizon, help from
    > Bangledesh or whatever.
    > It seems to have been a simple setting in my verizon dialer
    > for the dsl.

    Could you tell us what you did to fix it just in case either
    wee have the same problem or someone comes along, like you
    have, and needs helps.

    Thanks and Happy New Year!
    Top

    --
    There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a
    miracle or

    Top, Jan 2, 2007
  19. joevan

    Top Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    Top, Jan 2, 2007
  20. joevan

    joevan Guest

    On 02 Jan 2007 03:11:17 GMT, Top <> wrote:

    >joevan <> wrote in
    >

    >> Ha, I got it. All ok now. Thanks for all the help but I am a
    >> bit annoyed at the great indian so called verizon, help from
    >> Bangledesh or whatever.
    >> It seems to have been a simple setting in my verizon dialer
    >> for the dsl.

    >Could you tell us what you did to fix it just in case either
    >wee have the same problem or someone comes along, like you
    >have, and needs helps.
    >
    >Thanks and Happy New Year!
    >Top

    Maybe as someone said it was a combination of different things but I
    can't be sure. I just feel that the Verizon help from India is nothing
    more than reading from a script and hearing them say ibconfig is a
    bit unsettling, when I fingure it is actually ipconfig.
    I think you best bet is to check here for help as the written word is
    so much better in most cases than the spoken dialect, whatever it may
    be.

    joevan, Jan 2, 2007