'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Peter, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I am running Windows 2000 profesional and am unable to run any MS-DOS
    commands like IPCONFIG, FORMAT, PING, NET USE ect.

    I get the following erro message 'ipconfig' is not recognized as an
    internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

    I have tried to in MS-DOS go to the c:\winnt\system32 driectory in
    MS-dos and run the comands from there without any joy. The rest of
    windows is running fine and I have checked that the machine has all
    it's windows updates.

    I have also checked that the veriables point has the
    PATH=c:\winnt\system32.

    Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it ?

    Can MS-DOS be reintalled over the existing MS-DOS ?

    Thanks in advance

    Peter

    Peter, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Peter

    why? Guest

    On 8 Jul 2003 08:18:20 -0700, Peter wrote:

    >I am running Windows 2000 profesional and am unable to run any MS-DOS
    >commands like IPCONFIG, FORMAT, PING, NET USE ect.

    Nothing to do with MS-DOS, you mean command prompt utilities.

    Is your PC standalone or networked, standalone may well not have these
    utilities and they are installed with networking. (Except Format)

    >I get the following erro message 'ipconfig' is not recognized as an
    >internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    >
    >I have tried to in MS-DOS go to the c:\winnt\system32 driectory in

    How?

    Start / Run / type 'cmd' without the '' then click OK.

    So did that work? Does the command exist? Try a directory listing.

    dir ping.*

    Using Windows Explorer , check the version info, Secondary (rignt)
    click ping.exe / Select Properties. For 2000 Pro SP3 the version is
    5.0.2134.1

    >MS-dos and run the comands from there without any joy. The rest of
    >windows is running fine and I have checked that the machine has all
    >it's windows updates.
    >
    >I have also checked that the veriables point has the
    >PATH=c:\winnt\system32.
    >
    >Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it ?
    >
    >Can MS-DOS be reintalled over the existing MS-DOS ?

    No MS-DOS involved.

    Normally these are installed with the Networking components, tak a note
    of all important settings and have the network card drivers handy.

    Uninstall Networking, then reinstall it.

    <snip>
    Me

    why?, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Peter

    JabberSmith Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > I am running Windows 2000 profesional and am unable to run any MS-DOS
    > commands like IPCONFIG, FORMAT, PING, NET USE ect.
    >
    > I get the following erro message 'ipconfig' is not recognized as an
    > internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    >
    > I have tried to in MS-DOS go to the c:\winnt\system32 driectory in
    > MS-dos and run the comands from there without any joy. The rest of
    > windows is running fine and I have checked that the machine has all
    > it's windows updates.
    >
    > I have also checked that the veriables point has the
    > PATH=c:\winnt\system32.
    >
    > Has anyone seen this before or know how to fix it ?
    >
    > Can MS-DOS be reintalled over the existing MS-DOS ?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Peter

    This may sound goofy, but how bout Regedit? Some viruses kill things that
    are useful for finding them, you could have caught something.

    Other CLI stuff work? Like copy, del, and rd?

    You could try copying them over from another machine, it's not like they are
    complicated.

    JabberSmith, Jul 9, 2003
  4. Peter

    hohodicestu

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2006
    Messages:
    7
    I had the same problem, so I tried the following:

    Type ipconfig /all. If you receive an error stating, "'IPCONFIG' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" type c:\windows\system32\ipconfig /all.

    it works well with windows xp

    hohodicestu, Jan 18, 2007
  5. Peter

    Mvp2713

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    Same thing here can someone help me plz so can use the ipconfig. its saying the same thing

    Mvp2713, Aug 8, 2007
  6. Peter

    Mvp2713

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Messages:
    3
    Need help plz

    Mvp2713, Aug 8, 2007
  7. Peter

    warduke

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Go to My Computer-> right click-> Properties->Advanced->Environment
    Variables->System variables and locate “PATH”. Add C:\windows\system32 at the
    end if it is not already there.

    warduke, Aug 12, 2007
  8. Peter

    rajanala

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    not a big problem just do this and understand the concept behind it.
    1.when we are going to start--> run-->cmd
    it will open into the folder
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator---ok
    2.when we are giving ipconfig means we are trying to execute a .exe file which is under that folder
    if it is not there it will then give an error"unrecognized command or file"
    3.but when we install the operating system our required file get installed in the folder
    C:\WINDOWS\system32
    that means if u go to C:\WINDOWS\system32
    through dos command and give ipconfig it will work.
    5.Then go to C:\WINDOWS\system32 and copy that ipconfig file and place it in
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator
    and now run the command.problem solved...always be confident about ur basics it will help

    Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
    rajanala, Dec 15, 2007
  9. Peter

    SWEETDEMON

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Thank you everybody for help me .
    my computer must be set path, and then I can used command ipconfig,ping etc.
    thank you again.

    SWEETDEMON, Aug 27, 2008