    so I was wondering if it's normal.

    It was trying to reach 208.16.180.5 which, if I did it right, is Sprint
    in Toledo, Ohio. She lives in Toledo and her ISP is Buckeye Express.

    Sentientfluid, Aug 1, 2004

  2. Sentientfluid

    °Mike° Guest

    IPConfig.exe has no reason to "call out".
    Block it and scan your system with up to date
    virus scanner.

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    ================
    http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus

    Anti-virus programs:
    --------------------
    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/sav/

    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:01:58 -0600, in
    <>
    Sentientfluid scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Sentientfluid

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Sentientfluid" <> wrote in message
    > Zonealarm on my friends XP box asked her if it was ok for IPConfig.exe
    > to call out. I've never had this happen on any machine of mine before
    > so I was wondering if it's normal.
    >
    > It was trying to reach 208.16.180.5 which, if I did it right, is Sprint
    > in Toledo, Ohio. She lives in Toledo and her ISP is Buckeye Express.

    are you confusing ipconfig with ping?

    did ipconfig execute itself? or did you type it and your local firewall
    detected it?
    ipconfig isn't used to reach internet addresses.

    nslookup and ping are a few tools to do such things.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Aug 2, 2004
  4. 127.0.0.1 wrote:
    > "Sentientfluid" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Zonealarm on my friends XP box asked her if it was ok for IPConfig.exe
    >>to call out. I've never had this happen on any machine of mine before
    >>so I was wondering if it's normal.
    >>
    >>It was trying to reach 208.16.180.5 which, if I did it right, is Sprint
    >>in Toledo, Ohio. She lives in Toledo and her ISP is Buckeye Express.

    > are you confusing ipconfig with ping?

    *I* am not confusing anything :p Nor is my friend.

    > did ipconfig execute itself? or did you type it and your local firewall
    > detected it?

    We were chatting on Yahoo when Zonealarm on her machine announced that
    IPConfig.exe was trying to call out to the IP mentioned above. And
    no... no one 'accidentally' or 'mistakenly' ran IPConfig.

    > ipconfig isn't used to reach internet addresses.

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order for IPConfig to check on the info
    it provides, does it not need to connect to your ISPs server (ie
    "callout") to do so? On my machine, if I run IPConfig from a command
    prompt, Zonealarm will tell me that it is trying to reach my ISP.

    Sentientfluid, Aug 2, 2004
  5. Thanks again, Mike.

    She blocked it when it happened and she's scanned her system with quite
    a few up-to-date virus scanners since she found the FEGIGLKM.EXE file I
    asked about in another thread. She found one worm (padobot.V) but
    managed to get rid of it a few days before this happened.

    Sentientfluid, Aug 2, 2004
  6. Sentientfluid

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Sentientfluid <> wrote in news:2n6blvFsn5sfU1@uni-
    berlin.de:

    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order for IPConfig to check on the info
    > it provides, does it not need to connect to your ISPs server (ie
    > "callout") to do so? On my machine, if I run IPConfig from a command
    > prompt, Zonealarm will tell me that it is trying to reach my ISP.

    Zone alarm is quite mistaken. IPConfig doesn't have to call out to find
    any information (you can happily run it without a net connection at all!).
    Zone alarm does it's best, but it is wrong sometimes. It also thinks
    Mozilla wants to be a server, though Mozilla only opens a local loopback
    thing for the personal security manager to communicate through (at least it
    did this way back when when I used zone alarm).

    Jim Berwick, Aug 2, 2004
  7. Sentientfluid

    Jimmy Guest

    Ipconfig has 1 reason which is if you manually start a command prompt
    and type Ipconfig otherwise there should be no reason for it asking

    Jimmy, Aug 2, 2004
  8. Sentientfluid

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Aug 2, 2004