iPad, G2, ALL touch screens are disgusting, filthy products

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, May 28, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, May 28, 2010

  2. RichA

    Twibil Guest

    On May 27, 10:05 pm, RichA <> wrote:

    > And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
    > Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
    > They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.

    Um, and you sterilize the doorknobs in your home *how* many times a
    day?

    How about boiling your car's steering wheel once a week?

    Or mayhap you regularly submerge your house pets in antiseptic?

    Seek help.

    Twibil, May 28, 2010

  3. RichA

    DanP Guest

    On 28 May, 06:05, RichA <> wrote:
    > And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
    > Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
    > They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.
    >
    > http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870471700457526860244057...

    Well, it is because you can see the grease on the screen.
    I keep my HTC Dream in its pouch and I avoid touching my cameras LCD
    and my computer monitor.

    There is more filth on a door handle but you you cannot see it.
    Think about that.

    DanP

    DanP, May 28, 2010
  4. On 28 May, 06:05, RichA <> wrote:
    > And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
    > Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
    > They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.
    >
    > http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870471700457526860244057...

    ::blank stare::

    My HTC desire is fantastic.
    Of course touchscreens get fingerprints on them. It's a natural side
    effect of using them
    Much like you would likely be covered in bruises. It's a natural side
    effect of your opinions on other people's sanity and they'd want to re-
    arrange your features.

    Dr Hfuhruhurr, May 28, 2010
  5. In article
    <>,

    OK: <http://www.subjectives.co.uk/img/lassie.jpg>

    Fred McKenzie, May 28, 2010
  6. RichA

    Bob G Guest

    Some people suffer from this condition - it's not a laughing matter
    and certainly undeserving of derision or ridicule.

    Bob G, May 28, 2010
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 28, 3:04 pm, Bob G <> wrote:
    > Some people suffer from this condition - it's not a laughing matter
    > and certainly undeserving of derision or ridicule.

    I figure more will start, now the iPad is out.

    RichA, May 28, 2010
  8. RichA

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    On May 28, 3:04 pm, Bob G <> wrote:
    > Some people suffer from this condition - it's not a laughing matter
    > and certainly undeserving of derision or ridicule.

    I figure more will start, now the iPad is out.

    I personally would like to see more attention devoted to making touchscreen
    devices made more accessible...

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, May 29, 2010
  9. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On May 28, 5:15 am, DanP <> wrote:
    > On 28 May, 06:05, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > > And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
    > > Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
    > > They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.

    > >http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405274870471700457526860244057...

    > Well, it is because you can see the grease on the screen.
    > I keep my HTC Dream in its pouch and I avoid touching my cameras LCD
    > and my computer monitor.
    >
    > There is more filth on a door handle but you you cannot see it.
    > Think about that.
    >
    > DanP

    I was referring only to the visible aspect. You can't avoid touching
    dirty surfaces somewhere, but at least you don't have to look at it.
    Nothing is UGLIER than an LCD with filth on it. Keyboards are bad
    enough.

    RichA, May 29, 2010
  10. RichA

    SMS Guest

    On 27/05/10 10:05 PM, RichA wrote:
    > And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
    > Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
    > They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.
    >
    > http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...6.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird

    I think it's strange that styluses seem to be taboo. They worked well on
    the Palm and Windows Mobile PDAs, and on the tables running the
    Microsoft Tablet OS. They allowed you to draw, sign things, and kept the
    screen clean.

    SMS, May 29, 2010
  11. RichA

    SMS Guest

    On 28/05/10 6:36 PM, David J. Littleboy wrote:

    > My take is that groping for a stylus is enough of a pain (and the tiny
    > screens so ugly) that those things were usable only by the perversely
    > motivated: the "I'm more high-tech than you" crowd hell-bent on proving
    > they've got the right idea. But watching my friends use their
    > iPods/iPhones/whatever, it's clear that they represent an multiple order of
    > magnitude improvement in usability over anything previous. Flipping amazing.
    > (And this is from a dyed-in-the-wool Mac hater who bought a Kindle before
    > the iPad came out just to spite Apple (the Kindle UI is horrible; getting to
    > a reference number to click it is almost impossible; it's a major disaster,
    > but I love the thing since I can buy gobs of books and not have to throw any
    > away).)

    This may be true for phones, though it wasn't true for PDAs. And for
    larger screen devices like tablets, the styluses were great for writing,
    and the handwriting recognition on XP for table was excellent. You could
    also draw on the tablet, and with dual screen support (hooked to a
    projector) it was an excellent presentation device.

    SMS, May 29, 2010
  12. RichA

    Twibil Guest

    On May 28, 11:59 am, Fred McKenzie <> wrote:

    > > Seek help.

    > OK:  <http://www.subjectives.co.uk/img/lassie.jpg>

    Fred, if RichA thinks he's a lassie he'll need a surgeon's help more
    than he needs a psychologist. };-P

    Twibil, May 29, 2010
  13. RichA

    Jeff R. Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message

    > It's a $900 device that falls short of the average $300 netbook in terms
    > of capability.

    Would please direct me to a $300 netbook using a touch-screen with the same
    facilities? (Two-finger zoom, scroll, rotate...)

    Oh, yes... and a similar form factor... like... y'know.... *thickness*!

    --
    Jeff R.
    (No? Then how about a $900 netbook...)

    Jeff R., May 29, 2010
  14. RichA

    nospam Guest

    In article <4c00c550$0$17175$>, Jeff R.
    <> wrote:

    > "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > > It's a $900 device that falls short of the average $300 netbook in terms
    > > of capability.

    > Would please direct me to a $300 netbook using a touch-screen with the same
    > facilities? (Two-finger zoom, scroll, rotate...)

    and an ips displays. netbooks have far worse displays.

    > Oh, yes... and a similar form factor... like... y'know.... *thickness*!

    and one with a built in gps, compass and no-contract 3g radio, with 10+
    hour battery life.

    how well does that netbook work when rotated to portrait orientation?

    nospam, May 29, 2010
  15. In rec.photo.digital David J. Littleboy <> wrote:

    > "SMS" <> wrote:
    >> On 27/05/10 10:05 PM, RichA wrote:
    >>> And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
    >>> Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
    >>> They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.
    >>>
    >>> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...6.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird

    >> I think it's strange that styluses seem to be taboo. They worked well on
    >> the Palm and Windows Mobile PDAs, and on the tables running the Microsoft
    >> Tablet OS. They allowed you to draw, sign things, and kept the screen
    >> clean.

    > My take is that groping for a stylus is enough of a pain (and the tiny
    > screens so ugly) that those things were usable only by the perversely
    > motivated: the "I'm more high-tech than you" crowd hell-bent on proving
    > they've got the right idea. But watching my friends use their
    > iPods/iPhones/whatever, it's clear that they represent an multiple order of
    > magnitude improvement in usability over anything previous. Flipping amazing.
    > (And this is from a dyed-in-the-wool Mac hater who bought a Kindle before
    > the iPad came out just to spite Apple (the Kindle UI is horrible; getting to
    > a reference number to click it is almost impossible; it's a major disaster,
    > but I love the thing since I can buy gobs of books and not have to throw any
    > away).)

    > So get over it and wash your hands more often: touch screens are worlds
    > better than anything else.

    > Maybe safe-solvent soaked screen-wipes will become a big business<g>.

    I don't understand why anyone should have a problem with touchscreen
    hygiene who doesn't have to disinfect money before touching it.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.

    Chris Malcolm, May 29, 2010
  16. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 27 May 2010 22:05:43 -0700 (PDT), RichA <> wrote:
    : And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
    : Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
    : They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.

    What's the big deal? Alcohol will dissolve fingerprints. All the iPad user has
    to do is carry around a 250ml bottle of vodka. Problem solved.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 29, 2010
  17. RichA

    SMS Guest

    On 29/05/10 3:52 AM, Chris Malcolm wrote:

    > I don't understand why anyone should have a problem with touchscreen
    > hygiene who doesn't have to disinfect money before touching it.

    Very true. At restaurants where you pay in advance you should either use
    a credit card or wash your hands after you pay with cash (or both).

    SMS, May 29, 2010
  18. ? "SMS" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > On 27/05/10 10:05 PM, RichA wrote:
    >> And yet they look so pristine in the commercials...
    >> Like on Star Trek, all the touch-screen computer and ship control..
    >> They probably went through more Windex than anti-matter.
    >>
    >> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...6.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird

    > I think it's strange that styluses seem to be taboo. They worked well on
    > the Palm and Windows Mobile PDAs, and on the tables running the Microsoft
    > Tablet OS. They allowed you to draw, sign things, and kept the screen
    > clean.

    My camcorder, the Sony DCR HC32-E, has a touch screen. I have it for almost
    4 years and all it needs is an occassional cleaning with a micro-fiber
    cloth. Of course it gets dirty, the lens also from time to time, but
    nobody's perfect, except God:)

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitris, May 29, 2010
  19. In article <>,
    Mike Russell <> wrote:

    > OCDC is a fairly common problem affecting thousands of
    > people, and has only been diagnosed in the last several decades. The cost
    > of making fun of these people can be very high, in human terms, and IMHO
    > not worth the couple of laughs we may get.

    I can sympathize with this.

    In a different thread, someone once said, "I have CDO, Compulsive
    Disorder Obsession. It is the same as OCD except it is in alphabetic
    order as it should be!"

    It was then that I realized I had it.

    Fred.

    Fred McKenzie, May 29, 2010
  20. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "Mike Russell" <> wrote in message
    > On 29 May 2010 10:52:30 GMT, Chris Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >> I don't understand why anyone should have a problem with touchscreen
    >> hygiene who doesn't have to disinfect money before touching it.

    > They actually may. OCDC is a fairly common problem affecting thousands of
    > people, and has only been diagnosed in the last several decades. The cost
    > of making fun of these people can be very high, in human terms, and IMHO
    > not worth the couple of laughs we may get.

    To a certain extent all of us have our quirks. I have known several of these
    people and see their life as sad, not funny. I suspect when we make fun of
    them we are expressing fear that we may have the problem, too. My
    psychologist friends tell me that our laughter is a form of denial.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, May 29, 2010