IP2006 SIP Phone codecs missing!

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Martin 53N 1W, Nov 21, 2004.

  1. I've just got a IP2006 SIP Phone...

    In the features list is:
    "Supports G.711, G.729, G.726, G.723.1"

    amongst all the other usual expected features.

    Trying it and the phone only negotiates G711! This immediately swamps my
    cable uplink. In the setup, the other codecs are greyed out "none"
    (unavailable).

    A web search only found the same firmware as is already installed. (And
    the other codecs are mentioned in the 'release notes'.)

    Anyone know what to tweak to enable the G.729, G.726, G.723.1 codecs?

    Or hasn't the firmware been written yet?!

    (No reply from the supplier so far.)

    Thanks,
    Martin

    --
    ---------- OS? What's that?!
    - Martin - To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.
    Martin 53N 1W, Nov 21, 2004

  2. Martin 53N 1W

    Mitel Lurker Guest

    If G.711 "swamps" your cable uplink then I'd want to be talking to the
    cable modem service provider. We're only talking about 80k bps here.

    Also.... successfully negotiating for other protocols requires that the
    desired protocol is
    #1, available & supported at the other end, and
    #2, fully compliant with -your- protocol

    You have to realize that so-called "stated compliance" with any of the
    various "Gee-Dots" is no sure-fire guarantee. These specifications each
    contain permissive elements that are subject to interpretation. Example,
    look at Q.sig and talk to people who have tried (unsuccessfully) to
    implement it between competing PBX manufacturers. They might have been
    able to get it working, but only with the most fundamental features (CLID
    Name & Number) and almost never with the full set of "claimed" features
    (Msg Wtg, Call Fwd'g Reason Codes, Route Optimization, Step-Back on Busy,
    Remote DSS/BLF, Remote ACD Agents, etc.)

    Mitel Lurker, Nov 21, 2004

  3. > In article <0YSnd.256$> Martin 53N 1W

    >>I've just got a IP2006 SIP Phone...

    [...]

    Mitel wrote:
    > If G.711 "swamps" your cable uplink then I'd want to be talking to the
    > cable modem service provider. We're only talking about 80k bps here.
    >
    > Also.... successfully negotiating for other protocols requires that the
    > desired protocol is
    > #1, available & supported at the other end, and
    > #2, fully compliant with -your- protocol

    [...]

    The cable modem uplink is 2.5Mbit/s, rate capped at 64kbit/s :)-((

    G.711 is actually 107.2kbit/s including all the packet overheads...

    Those other codecs negotiate fine if I use a Grandstream BudgeTone100.
    The problem seems to be that they are just not in the IP2006 phone's
    firmware!

    Anyone else know them to be there and operating for the IP2006?

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin 53N 1W, Nov 21, 2004
  4. Martin 53N 1W

    Mitel Lurker Guest

    In article <A28od.712$> Martin 53N 1W
    <> writes:

    >The cable modem uplink is 2.5Mbit/s, rate capped at 64kbit/s :)-((

    :)-(( indeed...

    >G.711 is actually 107.2kbit/s including all the packet overheads...

    On a Mitel system the G.711 protocol is only slightly greater than 80k bps
    total, including packet overhead. This number coincides with Mitel's
    engineering documentation and has been confirmed by us with a sniffer.

    Mitel Lurker, Nov 21, 2004
  5. Martin 53N 1W wrote:
    > I've just got a IP2006 SIP Phone...

    [...]
    > Anyone know what to tweak to enable the G.729, G.726, G.723.1 codecs?

    Answer from their support:

    ###
    To enable a high compressed codec do the following:

    Go into the Web page "System" option. [At the bottom of the page,] In
    the feature key input field on this page please input "enableall".
    ###

    All now seems to work.

    :)-))
    Martin