IP translation - It's possible?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Chad Mahoney, May 8, 2007.

  1. Chad Mahoney

    Chad Mahoney Guest

    CiVoOnVi wrote:
    > I've got an ADSL connection with dynamic IP assignation and soho97
    > router.
    > Is it possible to program the router in the way that if I call from a
    > remote PC (so, not in LAN) the IP of the ADSL interface (which I of
    > course have to know in advance), the router would translate all the
    > packets towards an other public IP, and viceversa, so the PC from
    > which it starts the request thinks everytime to speak with my router
    > IP?
    >
    > IP PC: 50.50.50.50
    > IP ADSL: 100.100.100.100
    > IP SERVER: 150.150.150.150
    >
    > 50.50.50.50<->100.100.100.100<->150.150.150.150
    >
    > The PC talks with 100.100.100.100 but actually it receives packets
    > from 150.150.150.150.
    >
    > Thank you very much in advance.

    Not gonna happen, best you can hope for is to sign an account at a
    service such as dyndns.com and hope your router plays nice with the service.

    http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

    CiVoOnVi, May 8, 2007

  3. Unless you advertise the network into the global internet tables (not likely
    if you have a dynamic IP address!) nobody will know how to route packets to
    your ethernet interface.

    Dynamic DNS is what you need.

    Phillip Remaker, May 9, 2007
  4. Of coarse it it possible - you can get to the moon, right (or perhaps not),
    but the easiest thing would be either to get a fixed IP or use "dynamic DNS"
    as other people has described.

    Regards, Lars.

    Lars Bonnesen, May 9, 2007